Multimeter for measuring li-on batteries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lateralus839

Aug 19, 2017
Hey all I want to get a multimeter to measure my batteries voltage but I don’t know which one to get do I need a special one to measure my batteries charged voltage level? I don’t build my own coils or anything like that yet so I’m just looking for one to measure my batteries. I looked on Lowe’s and stuff but it’s just very confusing lol.

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

ScottP

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
Houston, TX
Hey all I want to get a multimeter to measure my batteries voltage but I don’t know which one to get do I need a special one to measure my batteries charged voltage level? I don’t build my own coils or anything like that yet so I’m just looking for one to measure my batteries. I looked on Lowe’s and stuff but it’s just very confusing lol.

If it is a "multi-meter" it should work for measuring battery voltages. Anyone of them will work for this purpose. If you may want to use it for other things later on then maybe spend a bit more now. I will say that not many (unless VERY expensive) are good for measuring sub-ohm coils with.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Any digital multimeter can be used to measure battery voltage.

Many of the decent quality battery chargers with a LCD also do a good job in measuring battery voltage.

18529595_2be728a6574e46b7ea2877c64bffd3a3_l.jpg

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Yeah I got a Efest LUC and a xtar charger that does that stuff but if I wanted to check a batteries voltage isn’t it bad for the battery if I take it on and off the charger without fully charging it ?
No. I have the exact charger in Baditude's second picture (XTAR VP1). When you insert a battery, there is about a 3-second delay during which the charger shows you the battery's voltage before it begins to charge it. This means it can be used to measure cell voltage without ever applying any charge. But all that aside, there is no harm in partially charging a cell.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
So it would be ok to see the voltages on the charger then put them back in the mod right after? I know your supposed to wait to use the batteries after you charge them fully don’t want to over stress the battery lol.
I think so. If you only put them in there long enough to check the voltage, they got no charge at all.

IMO, "stress" is primarily a matter of heat. I charge my batteries at 0.5A. This produces almost no perceptible temperature rise. I'm also not hard on my batteries during use, with a mech squonker never lower than 0.5Ω, and usually more like 0.75Ω. Thus my batteries don't get warm during use either, and I have no compunctions about taking them straight from the mod into the charger (I do this pretty much all the time) or straight from the charger into the mod (this happens only in exigent circumstances, I normally have charged cells ready to use when I need them). Now if you chain-vape your cells up around their CDR and they're warm when you pull them out of your mod, then by all means, let them rest and come to room temperature before charging them. If you charge at 1A or more and they get warm during charging, then by all means, let them rest and come to room temperature before using them in your mod.

AzPlumber

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 28, 2011
Arizona
So it would be ok to see the voltages on the charger then put them back in the mod right after? I know your supposed to wait to use the batteries after you charge them fully don’t want to over stress the battery lol.

Yes, as @Rossum pointed out the purpose of waiting is to allow the battery core time to cool down after charging. If the battery has only been in long enough to checked voltage the charging phase didn't start and there there isn't any heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread