Ohm Meter or Multimeter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chemxsol

ECF Veteran
Nov 12, 2013
San Jose, CA, USA
I've been vaping a little more than a month now and I have been doing research everyday about mech mods and RDAs and RBAs. Earlier today I visited a local B&M that i've never been to and I discovered that an old high school friend of mine was running the shop! Needless to say we had alot to talk about and what not in regards to vaping. Basically he rebuilt a dripping atomizer right in front of me while I tried some juices from the menu, he put the RDA (two coils) and stuck it on his mod and I took a hit......WOW.:vapor: I was sold. My question is, once I start getting into the rebuilding and I need to test for shorts, ohms, and whatnot, would I need an ohm meter or a multimeter? Can either do the job or is one suited better? Reason being I already have a multimeter at home. Better safe than sorry!

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Although I've somehow survived without one, I can see how an ohm meter makes for a handy stand to build on... after that, you'll want the DMM for testing battery voltage and if necessary, mech continuity. With the DMM, you can also check a coil after it's wound but prior to installing... just to see if you might want to add or subtract a wrap.

The Fluke DMM sits on the same part of the desk as the battery charger does... click click, test test... done. ;-)

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
A multimeter is a handy tool. An ohm meter is a one trick pony.

I'll expand on that so I hopefully don't end up offending anyone who decided an ohm meter was plenty for their vaping needs. There is nothing wrong with a simple ohm meter.

1) One of the things that has impressed me very much over the last few years reading ECF and other vaping related forums is seeing people gain some understanding of electricity. Some of the things people need to know to better understand their PVs carry over in to common applications that end up helping people deal with other electrical devices. Problems people have with their cars - boats - homes - or whatever else it might be, understanding electricity a little bit and being able to use a multimeter can help solve all sorts of other problems. Anything that helps people be more self-sufficient is wonderful in my book.

2) Along with the self-sufficiency idea, I'm a believer in things that can help the user accomplish more than one thing or be useful in more than one scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread