Status
Not open for further replies.

Xaiver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2011
Clearwater, MN
More than likely the coil your using has less resistance than the switch, causing the switch to generate heat instead of the coil.

Almost all multimeters have a +/- variance of 0.2 ohms... And if your coil is reading 0.2,then it could very well be a 0.0 ohm coil.

That's one of the reasons that they say never to build below 0.2, and building at 0.2 is basically toeing the line.

Frankly, you're probably lucky that the battery just heated up the switch and didn't vent on you.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
If the fire button is getting hot, it's resistance is a substantial part of the total circuit resistance. So....

What are you using to measure the coil resistance? You ARE measuring it, aren't you? NEVER fire an unmeasured rig. Most low end meters aren't really good for such low range resistance measurements.

I'd suspect that your coil is lower than you think, i.e. near a dead short, and you're over-stressing your batteries. And waiting for the fire.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
So recently I have had 3 batteries go bad on me within a week. I can put it in my mod, and hit it 1-50 times and be good. Every time this happens, the button gets extremely hot and so does the battery. Anyone have any ideas what this is about?

Authentic Tahiti Mod
0.2 ohm build (22 GA)
Sony VTC5's

When your button is getting hot it's either because you are drawing too much current for it, or the switch parts are dirty and need to be cleaned.

When your batteries get hot it's because you are drawing too much current from them. There have been counterfeit VTC5s sold lately that are not 30 amp batteries. Check this out and this for some info on how to recognize fakes.

Now, your first paragraph leads me to think you might mean there is no heat for 1-50 hits and then suddenly on one hit the button and battery heat up real quick. If that's the case you have a intermittent short somewhere. It could be the coil making contact with the inside of the cap, the atty 510 post making contact with the deck, the 510 post in the mod making contact with the negative surface, you get the idea. Also, your battery should be in the mod with the positive end on the 510 post and make sure your battery wrapper is not torn.

All you can do in this case is work through all the possible problem areas with a DMM looking for continuity where there should not be any. Intermittent problems can be really hard to troubleshoot and you'll just have to be patient and go though everything slow and methodical.

Good luck with it!

steved5600

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Dallas, Texas
When you get at a resistance like that you may be outrunning the mods resistance. The mod/switch is now the higher resistance so it gets hot. Like the doctor told the guy when he said it hurts when I do this. Doc says "DON"T DO THAT". Same here up your resistance or get a mod with a lower resistance like an all copper mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread