Mods from Variable Voltage to the new VV/VWattage

Status
Not open for further replies.

RogerWilco357

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 30, 2013
USA
Now how does this work ? First they had the Variable voltage and with different coils you could use the mod and adjust to the users liking some thick juice to thin juice work best with certain voltages ok get it..Now they have the new and improved units which now give the user the ability to play with the wattage . Now how does this help with the vape. Say you have low impedance coils and have the voltage low say 3V . Now you can hike the wattage up ? This will do what ? How does it vary from just going up on the Volts? Guess I want to know what the difference between voltage and wattage when using it to vape say using a Pro tank ?
any intel is appreciated.
Roger

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
since volts, watts and resistance all work together adjusting one changes the others.

you have a set resistance and change the voltage so you just changed the wattage.

with VW you change the wattage so it adjusts the voltage for you

the idea is the VW checks the coil and keeps the power steady all the time by constantly adjusting the voltage for you no matter how the coil resistance fluctuates you will always get XXX watts.

SissySpike

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 1, 2012
San Diego CA
Its not so new and its the same thing just taking a different road to get to the same place. Evolves kick has been around for quite awhile.

VW checks the resistance each time you fire the mod and gives you a voltage setting equivalent to the wattage setting you picked. In theory you coil changes in ohms from crud even just heat can change your resistance so VW can give a little more consistent vape. I cant see any difference but I suppose there might be just a little.

in the end you are putting X amount of DC power to your coil to get the vape you prefer weather you use Voltage or Wattage to get there. The mods I have that use both chips I use the voltage side. The DNA 20 is strictly wattage and a very good chip.

There is no reason to go running out to buy a VW device thinking your gonna get the most awesome vape there is you have the same thing with VV. You just have to press the button a couple of extra times.

Last edited:

WarHawk-AVG

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 27, 2013
H-Town
Biggest thing is knowing the resistance of the coils, you can then adjust the volts to give you the power level you want delivered

This chart is a starting point...once you get used to it, you can dial it in just as good as a VW

All a VW does is automatically do the below, it finds the resistance, compares it to the wattage you set, then provides the voltage to the coils...little electronic chippies

power.jpg

Portertown

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2013
Greenville, NC, USA
Wow that chart is awfully conservative. I tend to stick at around 8 watts anyway, but saying 9 watts or higher may melt nichrome is a bit of a stretch, unless it's both dry and a very extended burn.

I agree, that chart is very conservative.
I almost never go below 8 watts and lot's of time I am at 10 or 11 watts. Sometimes even more.
I do however think the chart is good for people who are new to vaping, as it keeps them from burning up the wicks/coils in their devices and getting that "burnt" taste because they don't know the limits of wicking materials, needs of different juices, etc.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
I do however think the chart is good for people who are new to vaping, as it keeps them from burning up the wicks/coils in their devices and getting that "burnt" taste because they don't know the limits of wicking materials, needs of different juices, etc.

Great comment. Well said.

If you read along the 1.8ohm line, you'll notice it turn red at 4.0v. For a lot of people with basic clearomisers, I think that is a good "rule of thumb". I've vaped way higher, but my little Kangers (1.8) are touch and go around 4.0/4.1v.

Dzaw

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 27, 2012
New Hampshire
I agree, that chart is very conservative.
I almost never go below 8 watts and lot's of time I am at 10 or 11 watts. Sometimes even more.

Oh, absolutely! The safety factor I think is less of a concern, as there's nothing to indicate that tasting burned coils full time is more dangerous than not. However, this chart is so conservative it may have some new vapers missing out on optimal performance. There was a similar chart that was arrayed n a similar color coded fashion that shows up through 8.5 to be in the green zone, and has a 'may be too hot for some juices to taste best' zone that ran from 8.5 to 10 watts. That's the chart I think we aught be showing new vapers. There's a little more nuance to it, while still not being too much to take in.

Ken_A

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2013
Florida
See there. That is a good example of using Variable power in the first place. Be it Voltage or Wattage.
I rarely even GET to 8 watts. too high, and my vapor starts tasting burnt or I get dry hits.
Where as Portertown and Dzaw prefer higher settings.
Each vaper can set things to their individual needs and likes.

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread