Mouth troubles and trying to decide what to do...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stewart Jarvis-Grove

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2016
Lincolnshire, UK
Hi. I'm hoping i can find some help here. I've been vaping for 8 months now and i'm still experiencing ulcers/sores. I was prepared for a few at first after quitting smoking but to still be getting them this long in there must be an issue.

My best friend bought me HQ IQ200 starter kit for my 40th birthday and i started using it five days later once i'd used up the last of my analogues. I used it for 4 weeks vaping VapeHQ tobacco and Ice Menthol 60/40 PG/VG 16mg juice. I got a few mouth sores but like i said i was prepared for some at first.

I decided i liked vaping and i'm going to stick to it but i wanted something with a bit more punch so i went to see my local vape shop who sold me an iStick 30W with a Aspire Nautilus 5ml tank with some Genie Juice 80/20 PG/VG 18mg juice (banana). Now that's better, i've got the punch i want and the throat hit on 15w on the biggest air hole is what i've been using.

The sores settled down but a pattern emerged. I'd go a week without then a week with for the next 6 months.

When i ran out of Genie Juice i found the one pound liquid website and bought some. So from July to the end of 2015 i was vaping LiQuid 18mg 60/40 PG/VG (banana and strawberry milkshake).

I thought things were settling down a bit more because i went a couple of weeks clear of sores a time or two but sadly not.

So i managed to quit smoking in 2015. In 2016 i'll stop drinking every night and i'll let vaping help me. I dug out my old HQ IQ200 and bought a new clearomizer for it and set about using the last of my cheap LiQuid juice with it because it uses a shed load less liquid during the day and my iStick with some Genie juice will be treat in the evenings.

This philosophy was working perfectly, along with a nice glass of ice water beside me i was not only not smoking as was not drinking either. Yay a healthy Stu! :)

Hwoever, i've had a mouth full of sores including one in a saliva duct under my tongue which is the most painful i've ever experienced. So i jumped on the net to find out what could be going on and today i went to two of my local vape stores.

I'm wondering if i am intolerant of PG so went to check i can get high VG or max VG juice locally and i can but i was told i can't use it in my current setup and will need to buy a sub ohm unit.

So i suppose my question is what would you do in my situation?

Any input gratefully received. Thanks in advance!

Toronnah

ECF Veteran
Jan 10, 2012
Canada
Mouth sores can be a symptom of food allergies. Maybe it's VG or PG. It could also be smoking cessation has made you more susceptible to the sores.

Check your diet carefully and remove one item at a time. Alternately you can ask your doctor for an allergy screening.

For me I get the mouth sores from some beans and legumes.

Stewart Jarvis-Grove

ECF Veteran
Feb 2, 2016
Lincolnshire, UK
Hmmm i didn't get them before i smoked, during the time i smoked and i'm pretty sure they will stop if i stopped vaping or smoking so it is either the vapor that's causing it or triggering it. Logically this being linked to food is an outside possibility.

So i was thinking that switching to a high VG or max VG juice was going to be my first step in the troubleshooting process but after my research trip earlier today i'm not sure if i can with my Aspire Nautilus tank

Reactions: Toronnah

daleron

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Apr 16, 2013
    Arkansas, USA
    I don't see any reason why you can't use a different PG/VG ratio with your current set-up, I'd turn those numbers around and go with 50/50 or 40PG/60VG and see if that helps.

You could also try rinsing your mouth with a teaspoon of baking soda added to a glass of water, if you are getting nicotine on your tongue that might help rinse it out ... at the very least it's comforting and cheap.

Course the best thing you can do is see your doctor ;)

Welcome to ECF!

Stewart Jarvis-Grove

ECF Veteran
    Feb 2, 2016
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Thanks daleron!

I should stop being so lazy and start using the search facility here from now on! :)

After only a quick search i've found out a lot of people have asked the same question and got a lot of similar answers.

I don't really want to damage my Nautilus so i won't risk it by trying high percentage VG juice in it. 30/70VG appears to be ok though.

What i think i'll do is get myself a sub ohm unit and use that with 10/90 VG or 100% VG for a while and see if things calm down and if they do put some 30/70 in the Nautilus and see how i go.

I picked up some Chlorhexidine Gluconate Antiseptic Mouthwash on my travels this morning and it's took the edge of the sours nicely

Reactions: daleron

Stewart Jarvis-Grove

ECF Veteran
    Feb 2, 2016
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Ok Kanger Subtank Mini V2 ordered and on it's way to use on my iStick 30W

I've took the 80/20 PG/VG juice back to my local vape shop and exchanged it for a 30ml bottle of Dark Passenger Max VG 8mg juice so i have some ready for the Kanger when it arrives.

While i wait for everything to arrive i'm vaping some 60/40 PG/VG juice i had lying around and along with twice daily does of nuclear mouth wash the mouth issues have subsided by i'd say 50% so i'm hopefully heading in the right direction. Fingers crossed!

daleron

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Apr 16, 2013
    Arkansas, USA
    Ok Kanger Subtank Mini V2 ordered and on it's way to use on my iStick 30W

I've took the 80/20 PG/VG juice back to my local vape shop and exchanged it for a 30ml bottle of Dark Passenger Max VG 8mg juice so i have some ready for the Kanger when it arrives.

While i wait for everything to arrive i'm vaping some 60/40 PG/VG juice i had lying around and along with twice daily does of nuclear mouth wash the mouth issues have subsided by i'd say 50% so i'm hopefully heading in the right direction. Fingers crossed!
    Uh ... :unsure:
    Just from what I've read about subohm, you're going to want to cut your nicotine in half at the very least :?:
    Good luck, hope your mouth heals soon :)

Izan

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 1, 2012
    Mallorca, Spain
    Thanks daleron!

I should stop being so lazy and start using the search facility here from now on! :)

After only a quick search i've found out a lot of people have asked the same question and got a lot of similar answers.

I don't really want to damage my Nautilus so i won't risk it by trying high percentage VG juice in it. 30/70VG appears to be ok though.

What i think i'll do is get myself a sub ohm unit and use that with 10/90 VG or 100% VG for a while and see if things calm down and if they do put some 30/70 in the Nautilus and see how i go.

I picked up some Chlorhexidine Gluconate Antiseptic Mouthwash on my travels this morning and it's took the edge of the sours nicely
    Hi Stu,
    Most retail juice and DIY for that matter , is approx 10%-35% flavouring in a PG base.
    A flavoured "MAX VG" may still contain up to 20% PG.
    IMHO- Use ANY PG/VG ratio in ANY device you choose.

I suggest switching to unflavoured VG or PG "base" in your preferred nicotine strength.

Cheers
    I

Stewart Jarvis-Grove

ECF Veteran
    Feb 2, 2016
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Uh ... :unsure:
    Just from what I've read about subohm, you're going to want to cut your nicotine in half at the very least :?:
    Good luck, hope your mouth heals soon :)

Yes i fully intend to. I've just bought 8mg max VG and i've been using 18mg PG/VG juice so far. They didn't have anything else in the local vape shop or i would have gone 100% VG with 6mg nicotine strength

Reactions: daleron

Stewart Jarvis-Grove

ECF Veteran
    Feb 2, 2016
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Hi Stu,
    Most retail juice and DIY for that matter , is approx 10%-35% flavouring in a PG base.
    A flavoured "MAX VG" may still contain up to 20% PG.
    IMHO- Use ANY PG/VG ratio in ANY device you choose.

I suggest switching to unflavoured VG or PG "base" in your preferred nicotine strength.

Cheers
    I

I've discovered that from reading around on here, the max VG was the best they had.

If i get on with the Subtank and the max VG that's pretty much what i'm going to do. I fully intend on giving unflavoured VG a go with 6ml of nicotine and see what it's like.

I've got all the links saved for what i need and if i decide i want to add some flavour because it's a bit boring i'll find some VG based flavours to try ;)

Stewart Jarvis-Grove

ECF Veteran
    Feb 2, 2016
    Lincolnshire, UK
    Here's an update. Mouth is fine so far on Max VG using a Subtank Mini. I've had a bit of a cough but i think that is just an adjustment symptom to the juice and the fact it's 8mg of nicotine which is bit too strong for me.

I did use some pretty damn good mouth wash to clear up all the sores and took an antihistamine which cleared up the post nasal drip issue.

Touch wood mouth troubles are over!

Reactions: edyle

Toronnah

ECF Veteran
    Jan 10, 2012
    Canada
    Here's an update. Mouth is fine so far on Max VG using a Subtank Mini. I've had a bit of a cough but i think that is just an adjustment symptom to the juice and the fact it's 8mg of nicotine which is bit too strong for me.

I did use some pretty damn good mouth wash to clear up all the sores and took an antihistamine which cleared up the post nasal drip issue.

Touch wood mouth troubles are over!

Happy to hear it's getting better.

Stewart Jarvis-Grove

ECF Veteran
    Feb 2, 2016
    Lincolnshire, UK
    I think i spoke too soon. In the last couple of days i've noticed a sore/inflamed feeling creeping back in, It's around the back teeth and the sides of the tongue and ulcer/sore has sprouted up on my lower lip.

However it seems like it's slower than before but it's right on schedule. So it could be that the PG in the max VG could still be causing me problems.

I've mixed up some juice that only contains VG, VG based nicotine and distilled water which i've just started vaping. Hopefully this will break the cycle

Racehorse

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 12, 2012
    USA midwest
    Mouth sores in mouth, under tongue, along lips.......with post nasal drip.......of long duration........what did your doctor or dentist say?

YOu really need to get checked out. Any ex smoker/ex drinker needs to have suspicious things in mouth looked at by a medical professional.

Nobody can diagnose you on the internet

Good luck

Stewart Jarvis-Grove

ECF Veteran
    Feb 2, 2016
    Lincolnshire, UK
    If this VG only batch doesn't do the trick then i'll make an appointment Racehorse.

I currently don't have any sores in my mouth and no post nasal drip. Just one sore in an odd place on my lower lip. My mouth just has that feeling that a sore is imminent, a an irritated feeling which is hard to describe, but at the moment it hasn't progressed any further and hopefully it won't.

The post nasal drip seems to happen after vaping and drinking a bottle of wine. I just need to drink less wine ;)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread