MTL vapers - What watts, ohms and nic helped you quit

Status
Not open for further replies.

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
When I started was on cig-a-likes with a cartomizer or 306 atomizer /w cartridge setup, nic level was probably about 36mg or more for those and in the 2.5 to 3.0ohm range at about 3.2v so about 6ish watts, but what got me off cigs entirely was a Ego battery (3.7v more powerful) on a CE4 clearomizer at about 2.2ohms, so 8 to 9ish watts at 24mg. My daily MTL devices are in the 1.2 to 1.5ohm range kayfun RTA's on a pocket sized mod (Evic VTC Mini, Kanger subbox Mini mod) in the 8 to 10watts range @ 12mg nic. If you are a recent cig quitter in the Pack to 2 pack a day habit, then 12 to 18mg is generally about the rough guesses of where you need to be, maybe 1.5 to 1.8ohms in the 8 to 15watts range should suffice for most, if that isn't helping urges, go up to the next nic level, example if using 12mg presently go to an 18mg.

Jiggs

Jul 11, 2017
Port Murray, New Jersey
I currently use 12-18mg, 50/50 pg/vg, ohm varies by device. I'm using Vaporesso Target mini with a 1.2 ohm coil and 18mg nic with a few drops of WTA added. I also have an Ego one V2, a V2 mini and a Vaporesso Drizzle. The Vaporesso (I have 2) can be adjusted to 40 watts. The others are stationary wattage. I have many, many devices that I don't even use. Can't keep track with too many in play. I'm not sure if I'm expecting too much or I just have to bite the bullet and throw the cigs away and go through withdrawal. I'm dual using and beginning to think that that's not the best way for me. Thank you for your input.

Reactions: stols001

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I'm MTL and am experimenting with different watts, ohms and nic levels. What combo helped you quit analogs?
I started on a tiny vape pen. After 4 days got a Nautilus mini and vision spinner 2. At six weeks I got an atlantis tank, a watts controled mod and ran it at 25 watts for direct lung inhales. A few months later, not a smoker any more, I realized I prefered MTL and switched back to that. Currently vaping 1.4 ohm coils on TC and 16 max watts.

Jiggs

Jul 11, 2017
Port Murray, New Jersey
I started on a tiny vape pen. After 4 days got a Nautilus mini and vision spinner 2. At six weeks I got an atlantis tank, a watts controled mod and ran it at 25 watts for direct lung inhales. A few months later, not a smoker any more, I realized I prefered MTL and switched back to that. Currently vaping 1.4 ohm coils on TC and 16 max watts.
What level of nic worked for you?

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
How long have you been at the Vaping, @Jiggs ?

There's nothing wrong with dual use as far as I know. 9/10 of all the Vapers I know quit this way. Some got it done in days, other took months, one took over a year. Sometimes the longer journey teaches you more about yourself.
I started on 24mg at 3-4 watts (in the form of rip-off cig-a-likes) then moved directly to eGo batteries (7 watts?) with 18mg. Then the VV stuff arrived, then VW soon after. TC? - sometimes.
Once I'd quit smoking, dropped to 12mg (10-12 watts) then 6mg.
I sometimes vape 3mg at high power and other times vape 12mg at low power. Mostly though 6mg is my number.
I'm working my way back to MTL - most of my rebuildable stuff is MTL (not the RDAs).

Personally speaking... I'm not that bothered about the exact resistance/ohms of a coil. People (not us on here) have some weird ideas about all that i.m.o. There is little distinction for true MTL vapers between a coil above or below 1.0ohm (to a point, of course), only the design of the coil and atomizer for airflow and power.
Today I was vaping a 'subohm' coil at 14w... and yet you say 'subohm' to some people and they are banning you from 12 or 18mg liquid and making out like the world is gonna end if you hold that evil thing near your mouth. The shops like to spread this too, to sell more low-strength juice.

Either way, don't be scared of stronger liquids and subohm coils unless the coil is designed for DTL and 20+ watts.

poohbah

Happy Vaper
ECF Veteran
Sep 25, 2014
Texas
I started with 24mg nic in organic menthol 3 years ago. Now at 18mg nic with the same juice. I have an 80w Eleaf iPower and an Aspire Triton .09 ohm and an Aspire Triton II .09 ohm at 24 watts. I never tried going below 18mg nicotine because I like it too much.

Attachments

• iPower.PNG
    iPower.PNG
    263.7 KB · Views: 14

Terry Koontz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2017
I’m an mtl and smoker.
I’ve been vaping for about 3 months.
I still smoke about 10 cigs a day.
I’ve been at 6 mg nic but plan to up it to 12 to see if that helps.
I have an adjustable mod so I can try different settings.
I’ve also found that type of juice and tanks/coils differ greatly.
It’s all a matter of personal taste.

IMFire3605

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
May 3, 2013
Blue Rapids, KS, US
I currently use 12-18mg, 50/50 pg/vg, ohm varies by device. I'm using Vaporesso Target mini with a 1.2 ohm coil and 18mg nic with a few drops of WTA added. I also have an Ego one V2, a V2 mini and a Vaporesso Drizzle. The Vaporesso (I have 2) can be adjusted to 40 watts. The others are stationary wattage. I have many, many devices that I don't even use. Can't keep track with too many in play. I'm not sure if I'm expecting too much or I just have to bite the bullet and throw the cigs away and go through withdrawal. I'm dual using and beginning to think that that's not the best way for me. Thank you for your input.

Don't feel bad about dual using, depending on how long you smoked and what type of brand of smokes you did/do use, there are boundlessly far more chemicals that are in a cigarette and far more addictive than the nicotine in them, MAIO's, daicetyl, the list is long that is not in standard liquid nicotine juice, and WTA juices. Coming from being an ex-addict of not only cigs but other things, a bit of advice, don't beat yourself up about it as a loss each cig you do smoke, you have to retrain your brain is all, think of every cig you do not have to smoke during the day as a victory. This is about harm "reduction" not full on quitting entirely, fight that battle with yourself first, the more you think "@#$% I just smoked another one", the more you are going to want to smoke and the dark side of the force keeps its hold on you Annakin. It took me 2 1/2 of my final years smoking I was dual using cig-a-likes (at home) and cigs (out and about/at work/driving) in tandem before I stepped up to an ego battery/CE4, then it was another 2 weeks after that purchase until I finally walked away.

The moment I just let go and quit thinking about it night and day was the day it just finally started loosing its grip with its claws on me, my daily cig usage just declined those last 2 weeks, and before I realized it without the struggle with myself, I was looking at a still unsmoked half pack of cigarettes in the coin holder of my car one morning headed to work, hadn't smoked for 3days before it dawned on me I had succeeded.

Every person is different, so quit trying to struggle so much is all, get to a happy flavor nirvana zone, and just enjoy life, no use causing yourself more misery and grief, as it causes more stress, more stress, the more you'll be wanting a smoke.

leftyandsparky

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 22, 2015
Somewhere in the South
I started at 18mg and just now got down to 12mg and that's taken me 1 1/2 yrs. A lot of people dual use, so don't worry about! Even you you smoke 1 less cigarette, that's 1 less! I MTL @ 3.8v on a provari with a single coil of 1.3-1.5 on a nectar rta. Same tank work with my Pico and that's set @ 7.8w this tank has 8mg that I use before going to bed.

Reactions: vapdivrr

JustWondering1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2015
I wasn't able to give up the analog cigarettes until I upped my nic level to 18 mg. I think it's a good idea to not worry about dual using while you are figuring out what will work best for you. When I left the analogs behind, there were no withdrawal symptoms at all. I just preferred to vape.

At the time I stopped smoking I was using iStick 30s and 40s, Nautilus Mini attys, 18 mg. nicotine at about 8 - 10 or so watts with 1.8 ohm coils. It was the perfect combo for me. I still use 18 - 12 mg. nicotine and I am a very satisfied MTL vaper. These days I mostly use rebuildable attys, but I also use my Nauti Mini, Kabuki, Vika Fantasy clone and Ego One Mega Tanks. Since I rebuild coils and don't worry too much about variation in my ohms, my ohms can vary anywhere from .8 or .9 ohms to 2 or more ohms, but are usually are around 1.4 ohms.

Last edited:

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    I used EVODs an miniPT2s on VV batteries so I could get them down to about 3.5 V @ 2.2Ω or just over 5 watts, with mostly 12 mg. I did dual use for 9 months and the end was sped up by getting into using an RDA at about 14 watts with 6 mg. To me it's more important the things can handle long drags than maxing out the atty trying to speed up vapor production.... about a month after I got down to less than a cig a week I cut the nic to 6 and 3 mg for the devices, and now the RDA gets 1.5 mg using TC at 16.5 watts using SS wire .7Ω and a kind of in-between DL or low pressure, lazy MTL.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 22, 2014
    Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
    I started with 1.2Ω coils on an ego battery, with 18mg juice. Didn't last long. I moved up to mechanical mods (there were then no regulated mods more powerful than 15 watts) almost immediately. But the low-power gear did get me off the stinkies at first.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    sarasota,fl
    For myself, it was and still is 24mg nic , mtl @ 20 ish watts on rebuildables, as for Prebuilts coils, something like a nautilus tank is one of the best, but obviously a little lower on wattage. Like previously mentioned, if doing your own coils or Prebuilts in some mtl tanks, resistance doesn't really matter to much because most use regulated mods which can even things out with adjustable wattage. Yes in those hi powered sub tanks, they do make low resistance coils that also have major airholes and juice flow, so they are really made for hi power, but in something like a kayfun and a regulated mod, there is not much difference in resistance between a .8 to a 1.2 let's say , because as I mentioned, you can even things out by wattage adjustment. ..with that said, for me it was high nic and a major throat hit that made me to never want a cig again

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 11, 2013
    Eastern Ohio, USA
    I'm MTL and am experimenting with different watts, ohms and nic levels. What combo helped you quit analogs?
    I don't know that my winning combo would be helpful, but my magic was a Kanger Protank 2, 2.5 ohm coils, 24 mg/ml, around 7.5 watts. It's been a couple years... ;)

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread