Nicotine salts and sub ohm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there,

Plain and simple: can I use something between 3-6 mg nicotine salts on a sub-ohm tank running at 45-60 watts?

I moved recently from pen devices to sub-ohm tanks and I'm finding that now the flavour and overall experience is far far better but those big amounts of vapor are making my throat feel a bit uncomfortable when using my beloved 6mg freebase nic juices (what I'm used to, lower than that level of nic feels like nothing to me). I've researching for a while about this but everything I've found is related to lower watts or quite old articles and posts saying "DON'T DO IT".

Reactions: Diver9543

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
AFAIK there is no real functional difference between nic salts and regular nic except nic salts have less throat hit per mg/ml. They can be vaped in the same devices etc.. My suspicion though is that at 6mg/ml the nic is not the problem. What is the pg/VG ratio you are using?

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I'm on 70VG. I'm just curious about nic salts because what you mention, the throat hit reduction. I know 6mg is quite low (I quit smoking some weeks ago after 25 years) but for some reason the increased amount of vapor feels very uncomfortable compared with the little one that my pen produces using the same juice.
Of course it does. The sub ohm device is orders of magnitude more powerful. I assumed you were using a different much higher nic juice in the pen. If you’re satisfied with 6mg/ml in a pen you’re going to likely need much less (I would assume below 3mg/ml) in a DL device.

uthinkofsomething

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 7, 2015
Toledo, Ohio
I'm on 70VG. I'm just curious about nic salts because what you mention, the throat hit reduction. I know 6mg is quite low (I quit smoking some weeks ago after 25 years) but for some reason the increased amount of vapor feels very uncomfortable compared with the little one that my pen produces using the same juice.
Were you using 6mg in your pen vape? You will definitely notice the same juice feels stronger now, you are getting more of it, more nicotine at once. There are plenty of people who use 6mg in subohm setups, though. 3mg might work out better for you. Buy a small amount and see how you like it.
You could also lower wattage a little more and close the airflow a little, might help with the 6 mg, or get you used to the amount of vapor.

Reactions: Diver9543
Of course it does. The sub ohm device is orders of magnitude more powerful.

You will definitely notice the same juice feels stronger now, you are getting more of it, more nicotine at once.

Basically what I suspected. I'll try with lower levels of nic and probably some juice with nic salt and see if it is for me.

You could also lower wattage a little more and close the airflow a little, might help with the 6 mg.

I've playing around with watts and airflow trying to get the most of the device, getting too little flavour or too much pain. And definitely, as you say I have to get used to...

Thank you all!

Last edited:

Diver9543

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2015
Oklahoma City, OK, USA
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Another thing you may want to look at is the PG/VG of your juice. VG is what allows for more vapor whereas the PG delivers more flavor. I have recently gone from 60VG/40PG to 50VG/50PG and 5mg/ml nicotine. I vape unflavored juice but I still get a sweet tasting vape and have not really noticed a change in the vapor that is produced. Just my :2c:

Quite impressed with the quality of all the comments. This forum seems to be a great community to be part of.

Another thing to consider is you can cut down the nic level of your 6mg liquid by adding 0mg nic liquid to it (preferably the same flavor).

This sounds like a pretty good idea in order to reuse my liquids :)

Hello and welcome to the forum.
Thank you very much mate, I really appreciate it :)

Another thing you may want to look at is the PG/VG of your juice.

I'll try this. I'm used to +70VG just because my previous device was not happy with liquids under 60VG. Worth to mention that I'm not interested in bigs clouds but in big flavour.

On the other hand, I've got this morning a 0mg refillable juice (amazing one BTW) which I boosted with just 3mg of nicotine salt. Two things here:
  • Going from 6mg to 3mg sounds in my transition from pen to sub-ohm sounds like perfect to me
  • The nicotine hit of the salts is crazy! I just need to take one puff to feel the nic running almost instantly inside of me. It's like having a (well not so) old good tobacco cigarette. With 2-3 puffs within a few minutes I'm more than satisfied. Additionally the throat hit is quiiiiite smooth, which personally I like it

Last edited:

QcVaper

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 17, 2017
Canada/Quebec
PG delivers more flavor.
This is more of a rhumour than anything, i've been vaping on high vg juice for a while now and i've seen 0 difference in taste from 50/50 to 75/25 (vg/pg).

The only difference i've noticed is i get more flavor from doing dtl inhales instead of mtl.
It's simply a taste difference from person to person that's why some say that.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
I can't vape 'salts' at any power. Even a stealth device (7 watts) makes me cough.

Just saying so you don't go too mad ordering lots of different strengths.

Any salts at over 20w would put me on the floor. It's rare (as far as I can tell)... other than that, I say do what makes you happy. I know people who vape 24mg at 50 watts and others who vape 18mg salts (the max in the UK) at 8 watts.

I am in the opposite situation, 6mg freebase makes me cough all the time but 3mg salts feels like silk (although sometimes I miss the hit).

Just saying so you don't go too mad ordering lots of different strengths.

To be honest I don't think I'll be going above 3mg with salts, even with that little sometimes I go too high too quickly, just a few puffs and I'm in Wonderland.

Reactions: djsvapour

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
Hi there,

Plain and simple: can I use something between 3-6 mg nicotine salts on a sub-ohm tank running at 45-60 watts?

I moved recently from pen devices to sub-ohm tanks and I'm finding that now the flavour and overall experience is far far better but those big amounts of vapor are making my throat feel a bit uncomfortable when using my beloved 6mg freebase nic juices (what I'm used to, lower than that level of nic feels like nothing to me). I've researching for a while about this but everything I've found is related to lower watts or quite old articles and posts saying "DON'T DO IT".
I mix 8mg (me) & 12mg (cousin) salts and it's a very smooth vape; we both vape dl 23-65w.

Reactions: davidmarcoes

EverythingEvil

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2014
Grand Junction, Co
In my experiences with nic salts is possible to sub ohm higher levels of nic with salts that with standard freebase nic. When I first started messing around with salts I filled my moonshot about a quarter of the way with 50mg salts and filled the rest of the way with 3mg freebase. I didn't have any real problems with the mixture other than the ridiculous buzz I got from it. I would imagine nicotine overload would be one of the biggest issues sub ohming salts at high levels..

Reactions: Letitia
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread