Not open for further replies.

Alawot

Wakonda Warrior
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2015
Lebanon, Ohio
I'll start with the details, 26ga Kanthal, 8 wraps wound with a coil-master on a 2mm pole. Came out to 0.85 Ohms.

Things I've learned:
- Coil position with relation to air hole is key. I've positioned the coil so that when the cap is on (without washers) the air hole is directly centered on the coil. Off at the edge of the coil just isn't good enough. On previous builds if I tried to lung hit for more than 2.5 sec or so I'd end up with a burned hit. With this adjustment in positioning I've been able to take nice big lung hits without issue.

- The coil-master rocks! I'd never be able to wrap a coil that tight by hand.

- To keep the coil from separating while trying to reach the right side post, I've experimented with putting two right-angle bends in the leg so that the leg stays straight off of the coil. I also like that this gives some room for the cotton to expand when saturated instead of being held down by part of the coil leg.

- I also used some of super_x_drifter's techniques for pulsing and cuing the coil to get it prep'd and oxidized for use.

Thanks Russ for the inspiration to experiment with the leg bending. Just watched that video the other day.

I've found lots of great help on ecf over the last several months. I hope some of this helps someone out there. I'm also open to any comments or suggestions.

Rat2chat2

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 16, 2013
North Carolina
I have never used anything else but I am in love with the rm2. Great pictures and as for the coil. . .
applause.gif

oplholik

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2011
San Bernardino area, So. Cal.
That danged RM2 is just a winner in my book. I admit, that right after Xmas I bought a Cyclone, and tho I'm not disappointed in it, for what extra it costs over the RM2, it just wasn't worth it to me. I have 3 in use and two in the drawer waiting. YMMV, but you sure didn't go wrong in getting the RM2. :)

FearTX

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 15, 2013
Outside of Austin, The Republic of Texas
This probably goes against popular opinion....

The RM2 is a modded 6$ atomizer, it along with the smok rda can compete with any 100$ and above pure flavor atty, for pure flavor. Providing it is built right.

The only thing that more expensive 14mm or so atties have above the RM2 is no brass in the system, if that is important to you. Congrats on nailing it, you are in good hands with the people you have mentioned :)

Alawot

Wakonda Warrior
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2015
Lebanon, Ohio
Is it better to put the coil itself partially directly over the squonk hole (asking for me; not questioning OP's method)?

Lookin good!
Interested to hear others thoughts as well, but I think the only concern about the squonk hole is that it isn't obstructed to allow proper drainage of excess juice. It might be hard to tell in the photos, but I make sure there's no wick covering the hole and the coil is not in the way either.

Spydro

Sindoyen
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 20, 2013
nowhither
My first Reo came used with a RM2. I now have 6 or 7 RM2's that 1-3 of are in service on three 14500 & 18490 Woodvil's or the VVG sharing that duty with RM3's and an IGO-S. Those Reos are my least used though. Coil position matters in any atty, but I'm not as picky about what is considered conventional as some folks. It's what gives me the best flavor for my LLH's with the joose dedicated to an atty, and that depends on the atty, joose and build where my coils go. I don't care that they have brass in their construction (cancers have already sealed my fate). So I don't really have anything bad to say about the RM2's at all, they are a great atty to start with or stay with as a person chooses. I just have lots of higher end atty's that I like even more than them, so they get used all of the time instead of the RM2's (and lots of others also not used).

supersport13

ECF Veteran
Nov 25, 2013
United States
I'll start with the details, 26ga Kanthal, 8 wraps wound with a coil-master on a 2mm pole. Came out to 0.85 Ohms.

Things I've learned:
- Coil position with relation to air hole is key. I've positioned the coil so that when the cap is on (without washers) the air hole is directly centered on the coil. Off at the edge of the coil just isn't good enough. On previous builds if I tried to lung hit for more than 2.5 sec or so I'd end up with a burned hit. With this adjustment in positioning I've been able to take nice big lung hits without issue.

- The coil-master rocks! I'd never be able to wrap a coil that tight by hand.

- To keep the coil from separating while trying to reach the right side post, I've experimented with putting two right-angle bends in the leg so that the leg stays straight off of the coil. I also like that this gives some room for the cotton to expand when saturated instead of being held down by part of the coil leg.

- I also used some of super_x_drifter's techniques for pulsing and cuing the coil to get it prep'd and oxidized for use.

Thanks Russ for the inspiration to experiment with the leg bending. Just watched that video the other day.

I've found lots of great help on ecf over the last several months. I hope some of this helps someone out there. I'm also open to any comments or suggestions.

Good work! The experimentation is half the fun! It's also so nice to look at a coil you just made and beam with pride! Way to go Alawot! Nice to see you on Russ's vid too!:headbang::headbang::headbang:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread