My replacement coils burn out too fast with kanger protank 2 and ego twist 1300 mah

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a friend with one of those spinner batteries and his stuck on 4.5 (tested with vm) volts no matter where the spinner was set. Like you he nuked coils left and right. He replaced the battery no more issues.

yeah, as i said int he earlier post about replacing the battery, i have 2 spinner 1300mah bats, after about 6 months of use, it doesnt matter if i use a protank, protank 2, vivi nova, no matter what i put on them, they fry the coils and juice turns black in about a day, i no longer use them, got a Innokin SVD, a Joyetech control head with a vapeonly body for 18350, and a UDT-S that i use now, and i have no issues with coils burning out. the analog variable voltage bats have reached the end of their usable life unfortionately. but no complaints here, love my new stuff. moral of the story, change the battery

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
I think there is confusion because of the number of replies from original message. So just to clarify, I use an ego twist 1300mah, my Mom uses the vision spinner 900mah. They are not the same battery. Everything else about our setup is the same.

Osiris

Your Battery is Not an issue
Your Coils are not an issue

Your use is different.

How much e-liquid do each of you go through?
How long are each persons Draws?
What power setting is iach person using?
i.e. If you pick up Hers and take a vape is it EXACTLY the same as your unit is producing?

If even 1 thing is different in any way, the results are different.

Does she consider no longer performing the same as you? preferences are personal not fixed.

I always recommend changing/cleaning the coil at least every second tank fill. This is a good starting point only and can be modified as experience dictates.
This allows for a more consistant Vape and longer lasting gear. It also builds a maintenance habit for a positive experience.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
yeah, as i said int he earlier post about replacing the battery, i have 2 spinner 1300mah bats, after about 6 months of use, it doesnt matter if i use a protank, protank 2, vivi nova, no matter what i put on them, they fry the coils and juice turns black in about a day, i no longer use them, got a Innokin SVD, a Joyetech control head with a vapeonly body for 18350, and a UDT-S that i use now, and i have no issues with coils burning out. the analog variable voltage bats have reached the end of their usable life unfortionately. but no complaints here, love my new stuff. moral of the story, change the battery

Moral of the story.........WHAT?

No, if your spinners can still cook liquids in a Day you have other issues.
The batteries obviously still have plenty of power and storage capacity!

The controller could be damaged and NOT turning power down.
A few simple test would verify this.
If the controller no longer works, simply switching to a higher ohm coil would correct usability. a 3.0ohm coil will produce very well @ 5volts.

Understanding ones gear is the first step in maintaining an enjoyable experience.

ETA - I have a few juices that will turn dark in a Day - depending on Vape habit that day. This is with a Very Well working eVic. Simply vape empty or dump before refilling and rinse the wick.:)

Last edited:
you have a point sir. lol. if i put a 2.8 ohm coil in there it probably wouldnt cook the juice in one day. however, i dislike the time it takes for a 2.8 ohm coil to heat up. i figured out early on that i liked the lower ohm coils better. faster hotter draw, was more like what i was used to on an analog. beyond that, i use some non-VV batts that just hit better on lower ohms, and switch tanks and batteries frequently. so yes, your right, the battery itself isnt the problem, it holds power and drains power, however the regulation of said battery is the most likely culprit, and do to the fact i use a variety of setups, the higher ohm coils just arent the right fit for me. im on to switching between my mech and the SVD with the AGA-T2 now, still learning the AGA-T2 and have yet to perfect the coil, but it is a much hotter draw, and i enjoy that. Cheers

MargieD

Sep 26, 2013
Arizona
Is the coil actually burned out our is it and the wick just dark. If your juice is dark or sometimes the real sweet juices will even do that. They gunk up the wick. On the protank types you can run lower voltages and still get a lot of vapor. One other thing are they really Kanger heads. Cuz there are a bunch of knockoffs out there. The ones on Fasttech are junk. Some vendors even sell Evod heads saying they are protank heads.

Any way. Try soaking them in alcohol for a while rinse them good and bun them in the base with out the top untill it stops smoking on low votage. This is called a Dry burn. May be able to use it a bit longer. Other than that I don't know what it could be unless you are running through a couple of refillls in day. I clean them each filling on the large version.

"The ones on Fasttech are junk." I'm curious why you say this, as I ordered a pack from Fasttech.....they were in a Kanger Genuine package.

I also have been using a Kanger Protank 2 with a Ego-C battery and finding the coils do NOT last long at all.....only days, even the ones that came in the box with the Protank2. I have only purchased Genuine Kanger Coils. I love the Kanger tank, but getting really frustrated with going through the coils so quickly. I am not a Heavy Vaper and my batteries are all fine. As soon as I put a new coil on its Great, but only for the few days!

Agastar

Verified Member
Oct 9, 2013
Orlando, FL
Have you checked the resistance of the coils? Have you checked to see what the voltage output was from your battery?

Do you have the ability to test the current draw of your battery at 2.5 ohms? If so, I would suggest getting a 2.5 ohm 10 watt resistor and seeing what the current draw is on your battery using a multimeter.

MargieD

Sep 26, 2013
Arizona
Have you checked the resistance of the coils? Have you checked to see what the voltage output was from your battery?

Do you have the ability to test the current draw of your battery at 2.5 ohms? If so, I would suggest getting a 2.5 ohm 10 watt resistor and seeing what the current draw is on your battery using a multimeter.
Thank you so much for your response......unfortunately this is way over my head as I am very new at this, but......my ego-C battery is not a variable voltage battery, and I have been using as advised, the 2.5 ohm replacement coils

Agastar

Verified Member
Oct 9, 2013
Orlando, FL
My Tsunami G-Class is an ego style battery and also is not variable voltage. So with a full charge you're looking at around 4.1 volts. with a 2.5 ohm coil you're going to be drawing a little about 1.6 amps. If the resistance of the coil is lower than 2.5 ohms you will be drawing higher than 1.64. there is no circuitry to limit the current or volts like on a variable mod (other than the battery safety circuitry) so the coil gets to draw as much as it wants (basically).

Does the battery get hot or warm to the touch or just around the coil head? Does the coil burn out to the point where it breaks the coil?

Both batteries should be the same output, one should just last longer so my suspicion would be the coils. How thick is your e-juice? my store bought stuff was pure pg and my home made stuff is 70/30 PG/VG both work fine for me in the kanger mini protank II

MargieD

Sep 26, 2013
Arizona
My Tsunami G-Class is an ego style battery and also is not variable voltage. So with a full charge you're looking at around 4.1 volts. with a 2.5 ohm coil you're going to be drawing a little about 1.6 amps. If the resistance of the coil is lower than 2.5 ohms you will be drawing higher than 1.64. there is no circuitry to limit the current or volts like on a variable mod (other than the battery safety circuitry) so the coil gets to draw as much as it wants (basically).

Does the battery get hot or warm to the touch or just around the coil head? Does the coil burn out to the point where it breaks the coil?

Both batteries should be the same output, one should just last longer so my suspicion would be the coils. How thick is your e-juice? my store bought stuff was pure pg and my home made stuff is 70/30 PG/VG both work fine for me in the kanger mini protank II
I truly thank you for the time to explain......so what I gather is that you are saying I need to use a Variable Battery.....Geesh, I know it's not a perfect science and things change but every time I think I finally find a set up that works (no leaks, longer lasting products) and different people give totally different answers as to what to use.....

Sorry for the frustrated rant.....Yes, the battery at the connection does get hot at times......no rhyme or reason to that as to when.....the most I notice it happening is when I take 2 vapes, one right after the other and when I have been using the coil for a few days. I am not totally sure of the %/% of my liquid is....I mix two flavors I like and one is a bit darker/thicker than the other.

When I was using a tank with the 'wicks' I got 3 to 4 weeks with one of those. Using the same current batteries and liquid.

Thank you very much for trying to help! I really appreciate it!

Bill's Magic Vapor

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 8, 2013
USA
I don't know what I am doing wrong but I have a kanger protank 2 and an ego twist 1300mah variable voltage battery. I set the voltage on 3.6 or 3.8, but the coils burn out after 1 day of usage. I look at them and the wicks are black and burn my juice if I use them so I have to change the coils everyday. That doesn't seem right, my mom has the same setup but uses a vision spinner variable voltage 900mah battery, turns it to 3.8v and her coils last a week, sometimes longer. Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? I would really appreciate the help as I can't keep changing coils everyday, it's ridiculous. Thank you in advance for any help or suggestions you have. Also I use 2.5 ohm coils in the Kanger Protank 2.

My coils only last me a day or two. It's my juice, and to some extent my vape technique. I do it all wrong according to the experts and pay for it in coils. Doesn't bother me in the least. Learn to recoild. A month's coils less than $2.00, even if you change them every day, and rebuilding coils is fun to boot. YMMV.

MargieD

Sep 26, 2013
Arizona
No, I'm definitely not suggesting to go buy more gear. I'm suggesting there is a problem somewhere and I was hoping that by asking some questions we might be able to get to the source of your troubles. Have you tried removing the flavor wick?

What I wrote didn't come out how I intended it.....I KNOW you are trying to help and I Really appreciate that, guess I'm just frustrated....I don't understand all the lingo and products and parts......

I meant to add in the last reply.....I don't know if the coil is breaking.....what I am experiencing is, having to take longer vapes, it starting to taste burnt and one time, it just went dead, didnt vape, make a sound, it was like just air (battery was fully charged) I notice that the little white wick like pieces on both sides of the coil are dark, but not gone.

I don't know what the flavor wick is?

Agastar

Verified Member
Oct 9, 2013
Orlando, FL
mine is not variable voltage and if I had the same problem I would be putting on my geek hat and testing all sorts of stuff lol. Heck I've already checked the resistance on my coils that came in the box when I bought it, but that's because I'm a geek like that lol.

If the coil gets too hot it can break and it can get hot for a number of reasons. For example, if there is not enough juice in the coil it could develop hot spots and burn out. Another thing that could cause it is too much current flowing through the coil.

You might need to find a way to adjust the flow of the juice. You might be starving your coil using a thicker juice. You might need to adjust the stem on the coil to allow more juice to flow in.

My wife has my old clearomizer and it has those long wicks in it and she has no problems with her 20/80 PG/VG mix

MargieD

Sep 26, 2013
Arizona
My coils only last me a day or two. It's my juice, and to some extent my vape technique. I do it all wrong according to the experts and pay for it in coils. Doesn't bother me in the least. Learn to recoild. A month's coils less than $2.00, even if you change them every day, and rebuilding coils is fun to boot. YMMV.
Thank you, and have been told that a lot and I am all for saving the money, just don't think I have nearly enough experience or know how to go that route yet.

Agastar

Verified Member
Oct 9, 2013
Orlando, FL
What I wrote didn't come out how I intended it.....I KNOW you are trying to help and I Really appreciate that, guess I'm just frustrated....I don't understand all the lingo and products and parts......

I meant to add in the last reply.....I don't know if the coil is breaking.....what I am experiencing is, having to take longer vapes, it starting to taste burnt and one time, it just went dead, didnt vape, make a sound, it was like just air (battery was fully charged) I notice that the little white wick like pieces on both sides of the coil are dark, but not gone.

I don't know what the flavor wick is?

no worries, I just didn't want you to get the wrong idea lol. I'm on a tight budget so my vape gear is limited

The protank series seems to have additional wicks that they call flavor wicks that are placed on top of the coil/wick assembly. Some people remove them as they are just laying on top and are easily removed.

Here are some youtube video links that I used to learn about the protank series and how to clean/repair them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFZHVISnt3s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RjsIV1xjpNA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e8FFhFYDd2Q

MargieD

Sep 26, 2013
Arizona
mine is not variable voltage and if I had the same problem I would be putting on my geek hat and testing all sorts of stuff lol. Heck I've already checked the resistance on my coils that came in the box when I bought it, but that's because I'm a geek like that lol.

If the coil gets too hot it can break and it can get hot for a number of reasons. For example, if there is not enough juice in the coil it could develop hot spots and burn out. Another thing that could cause it is too much current flowing through the coil.

You might need to find a way to adjust the flow of the juice. You might be starving your coil using a thicker juice. You might need to adjust the stem on the coil to allow more juice to flow in.

My wife has my old clearomizer and it has those long wicks in it and she has no problems with her 20/80 PG/VG mix

Here are the liquids I use if this would be of any help to answer the percentage......
Soldier's Blend, Soldier's Blend E-Liquid - MyFreedomSmokes.com
Cuban Passion, e-Juices :: PreMixes - Specialty :: Tobacco :: Cuban Passion Pre-Mixed Specialty :: Age verification - Freedom Smoke USA
Bourbon Street, e-Juices :: PreMixes - Specialty :: Tobacco :: Bourbon Street Pre-Mixed Specialty :: Age verification - Freedom Smoke USA

I never let my tank get lower than half full.....I'm not sure I would know how to adjust the flow on the coil as your saying.....I guess I am just a silly woman who just wants it to work without any tinkering.....I know, I know.....nothing in life works that way.

Agastar

Verified Member
Oct 9, 2013
Orlando, FL
Here are the liquids I use if this would be of any help to answer the percentage......
Soldier's Blend, Soldier's Blend E-Liquid - MyFreedomSmokes.com
Cuban Passion, e-Juices :: PreMixes - Specialty :: Tobacco :: Cuban Passion Pre-Mixed Specialty :: Age verification - Freedom Smoke USA
Bourbon Street, e-Juices :: PreMixes - Specialty :: Tobacco :: Bourbon Street Pre-Mixed Specialty :: Age verification - Freedom Smoke USA

I never let my tank get lower than half full.....I'm not sure I would know how to adjust the flow on the coil as your saying.....I guess I am just a silly woman who just wants it to work without any tinkering.....I know, I know.....nothing in life works that way.

I know, my head started spinning when first started looking into this stuff. I'm a gotta know how it works kinda guy so I got in over my head pretty quick. Unfortunately there are so many factors to deal with that it makes it pretty hard not to have to tinker with it to make it suit your taste/style of vaping.

I'll take a look at the links in a little bit and get back to you. Right now I'm headed outside to play with my son. :)

MargieD

Sep 26, 2013
Arizona
I know, my head started spinning when first started looking into this stuff. I'm a gotta know how it works kinda guy so I got in over my head pretty quick. Unfortunately there are so many factors to deal with that it makes it pretty hard not to have to tinker with it to make it suit your taste/style of vaping.

I'll take a look at the links in a little bit and get back to you. Right now I'm headed outside to play with my son. :)
I completely agree! I guess I just have to go with the flow, because I sure as hell am not going back to cigarettes!!

Thank you so much for all your awesome help, as it is greatly appreciated.....now get out there and enjoy your son.....that is waaay more important!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread