My way of mixing: on a scale

Status
Not open for further replies.

yo han

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2008
the Dutch mountains
I was contacted by Yo Han to check this thread out, I guess v14 is way over due and I can add fields for grams, would not be to difficult. I will just add a density weight for each item that will calculate the grams needed for the mix based on the desired ml.
Makes sense?
Dan
Thanks Dan, that would be awesome!

yo han

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2008
the Dutch mountains
It certainly seems like an accurate way to measure your liquids, but really, are you going to trust a $10 gram scale? That, is a horrible idea.
Trust me, the results you're getting from a $10 scale are way more accurate than using a syringe or counting drops :)
I've been testing this scale next to a scale at the lab and it's surprisingly accurate and consistent and like zoiDman already said; what level of accuracy do we need? Adding 1/8th of a drop isn't an option ;)

HotRod19579

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Round Rock, Texas
Thanks for that! Is this your calculator and did you just add it or was it already there?
I have been working with another poster in this thread for a couple of days now to add the feature. Note that you will need to go into the options of the calculator "Tools->Options" and enable the display of grams, I figured that most folks don't use grams (yet) so I defaulted it to not show the grams.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Trust me, the results you're getting from a $10 scale are way more accurate than using a syringe or counting drops :)
I've been testing this scale next to a scale at the lab and it's surprisingly accurate and consistent and like zoiDman already said; what level of accuracy do we need? Adding 1/8th of a drop isn't an option ;)

Don't get me Wrong.

The Quest for Higher and Higher Levels of Accuracy and Precision is a Good thing. And if a Person thinks that their e-Liquid is Going to be Better using a $1,000 Scale, well then by All Means, Go For it.

But there does come a Point where a Person is Just Throwing Money at something and Getting Little or No Improvement to the Finish Product.

It's kinda like using a Laser Interferometer to measure the Lengths of Fence Posts for a New Fence. I don't think the Fence is Going to Look any Better than if the Person used a $10 Tape Measure.

Scubabatdan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2009
Dothan, AL
How's this look? added a section 8 for the drops and g/ml control. Then added areas for g/ml based on desired ml...

calcv14_zps37f40b91.jpg

Dan

yo han

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2008
the Dutch mountains
Dan,
a few comments on section 8:

I would make it look as follows

PG 1.04 g/ml
VG 1.26 g/ml
PGA 0.8 g/ml
Vodka 0.94 g/ml
Water 1 g/ml
Flavors 1 g/ml

I think you mistakenly interpreted my "nicotine 1.01 g/ml" for a PG mix while it's actually the weight of pure nicotine so you can leave that out.
I'm not sure what you mean with the 3rd ingredient line...
If you use the above 6 ingredient lines everything should be covered.
These values shouldn't be user editable because they're written in stone except for the Flavors.
You can use the PG and VG weights for both "with" and "without" nicotine. The difference is negligible.
I've also averaged out the weight for the flavors to make it simpler.

Last edited:

HotRod19579

ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2011
Round Rock, Texas

JulesXsmokr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2013
Hurricane Alley, FL. USA
Question - I have this little AWS-100 scale that reads to 100g. and reads to hundredths .00 - has a 2-1/2 X 3" plate on it
Don't know if any one here may have used this one before.
Do you think this scale has the ability to detect single drops properly. I mix 5 ml. bottles and some ingredients call for a tiny amount

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Question - I have this little AWS-100 scale that reads to 100g. and reads to hundredths .00 - has a 2-1/2 X 3" plate on it
Don't know if any one here may have used this one before.
Do you think this scale has the ability to detect single drops properly. I mix 5 ml. bottles and some ingredients call for a tiny amount

I think the Best Thing to do I to do some Testing with your scale.

Try doing 5 and 10 Drops of Water and write down what you get. Then pour out the Water, Re-Zero and do it over again a couple of times.

JulesXsmokr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2013
Hurricane Alley, FL. USA
Ok - now I have done that procedure about fifty times all dif. kind of ways.. seems to be drops are moving the scale 1 drop at a time pretty darn close in indiv. weight measure and totals.

Now - how can I screw up a design blend with this method ?? I just made two bottles in 1/4 of the time as my newbie .... allowed me to do before, but now I don't have to find in a bright light to see those tiny hash marks on the 1 ml syringes any more, and rinsing out is faster.
I got a few glass droppers from some 50ml. bottles I ordered from WL. they seem to work fantastical.
Thanks for this thread and the other with Hot Rods calculator..

Reactions: yo han
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread