Mixing E-Juice by Weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Acer50

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2014
Duck River Tasmania
www.facebook.com
I am not sure if I am in the right room. I need some information about mixing e-juice using digital scales. If not moderators I am sorry if I am in the wrong room.

Now I notice that some do this and I am wondering how this affects the final outcome.
Pure water has a specific density of 1.000
VG has a specific density of 1.25937 (heavier than water)
PG has a specific density of 1.12610 ( " " " )
Milk (which my scales have a seperate calibration for is 1.020-1.050)

This to my understanding means that PG and VG are heavier than water a litre of water weighs 1kg. So going on this presumption a litre of VG would be 1.259 kg and PG would be 1.126 kg
When using scales and adding flavours and nicotine would this in any significant way affect the outcome?

Reactions: smacuser

Acer50

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2014
Duck River Tasmania
www.facebook.com
Might want to post your question in the Mixing By Weight: Basics 101 Discussion (near the top of the DIY E-Liquid main page) and ask Capt.shay. I'm sure he'll help you there.
Thanks all I had a look at the excellent post and saved it in PDF for future reference thank you all for your help

Acer50

ECF Veteran
Nov 21, 2014
Duck River Tasmania
www.facebook.com
There shouldn't be, unless a company is adding water or something, which would make it lighter.
Thank you @Capt.shay, yes I suspect one vendor was as the PG was a lot thinner than what I got from another vendor. I will not name names as I am not 100% certain but suffice it to say that vendor never got another order from me. I stick to one vendor now in Au and his stuff is always been excellent, ok slightly deare by maybe by a couple of $ but the quality is excellent. I do not know if I am allowed to name or reccomend him so at this stage I will not.

amoret

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 2, 2013
Sharon, ND, USA
For mixing by weight I have found New Calculator to try
to be a great calculator. It has the weights of
PG and VG built in, but they can also be adjusted. It was developed by ECF member @HotRod19579 and he supports it, incorporates suggestion from users and does updates as needed.

NGAHaze

Infinity Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 13, 2010
Georgia
It can and does vary from vendor to vendor and even from batch to batch. Depends on the density. Some are thicker than others. The numbers they give on calculators are general weights.

Technically, the chemical properties of a substance do not change without alteration of some kind, be it the introduction of foreign matter and/or a reaction to some kind of external force.

I think what you mean to point out is that some vendors may add water or other diluents to the mix thereby potentially changing the SG of the PG/VG to some extent. This certainly can happen however it does not negate the relative SG values used by calculators for the substance in question, it only does so for the batch that you are using.

For that reason, I would agree that it might be worthwhile to verify this before using a product for the first time so you can be certain what you have received is relatively pure. If you find much variance from the stated value(s), I would personally suggest finding a new vendor.

Reactions: Capt.shay

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

When using scales and adding flavours and nicotine would this in any significant way affect the outcome?

This is a Very Interesting Question. Because you haven't said what Desired Outcome you want to Achieve?

Are you looking for Mathematical Perfection of Weights and Measures?

Reactions: dobroeutro
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread