Need help - Coil Gunk Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Clancy

Jul 13, 2017
Hi friends.

I have been vaping for about 5 months now and absolutely love it. I started with a pen vape and have moved up to a mod - and loved the transition. I currently own a Vaperesso Altatude Kit and use premade coils. It was working fine for two batches of coils, and when I switched the pack of coils to a new one, I was getting less than 24 hours out of them. Little to no flavour and gunk super quickly. I switched to a lower sucrose juice and found no luck with that.

So I bought a new tank with longer and more durable coils in order to prevent coil gunk - and they are still only lasting a day or two before getting gunked.

I like to take longer pulls (which I know is not the best thing). I also switched from 12mg of nicotine to 6mg recently.

A few questions:

Do you think I should switch back to 12mg, due to the fact that I would take fewer pulls to get the same nicotine?

What are some of your thoughts on finding a solution to make my coils last longer to save some $$?

Does anyone have any low or no sweetener juices they like (fruit flavored and in Canada)?

Bonskibon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2015
Do you think I should switch back to 12mg, due to the fact that I would take fewer pulls to get the same nicotine?
That's a personal choice. I chain vape and use 6mg nicotine. I could probably go higher with nicotine and vape less, but I'm content with my vaping style at the moment.
What are some of your thoughts on finding a solution to make my coils last longer to save some $$?
Really the only way your going to save money is to build your own coils. I know it's frustrating to have stock coils not last long (have the same problem myself), but if you build your own you only need to rewick after a dry burn to clean your coils off. If that's something your interested in trying I suggest watching a bunch of YouTube videos on how to do that.
Does anyone have any low or no sweetener juices they like (fruit flavored and in Canada)?
Not in Canada so can't help, but perhaps look into DIY?

Reactions: Tonee N

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
Well, if you're using it less to avoid gunking, you *could* increase your nicotine. If you are using a high VG content, that could be gunking up your coils quicker, so you might try experimenting with your ratios. Sweetners gunk, as do dark liquids, so if you can find clear(er) liquids that might help. My favorite flavor is coco, and that will gunk my 1.8 coils in two days... When you get low on your liquid in your tank, do you find darkish, bubbly stuff at the bottom? If so, you can sweep it out with a q-tip before refilling your tank. That helped me a bit.

Also, commercially made flavorings tend to be fairly strong, so for me the solution was DIY, I did not need a great deal of flavoring (I tried 25 drops in 30 mls, thinking I could easily add more flavoring if needed, it was not needed) I wound up with a clear custard liquid that tasted and smelled great (to me) and it really has a very minor gunking effect, if any. I mean, my last coil lasted almost 2 weeks, and only died when I finally put some coco in there for a break. I did choose flavors that were clear in color to the best of my ability once I decided to DIY.

Otherwise, you can dilute a storebought liquid with pure VG or PG to dilute the flavor compound somewhat... You'll be compensating for pricing on coils, by decreasing liquid costs. :) Just make sure you get USP grade VG or PG. And, I'd only do that if it still tasted good (to you) as I find if I don't like a flavor much, I don't vape it. Also, if your diluting (I would think easiest would be 1:1, but you don't have to) make sure you are watching nic levels, like, buy 12 mg nic to dilute to 6 m.g. If you want to get more complicated, you'll probably need a juice calculator (I certainly did).

Good luck, I hope you find something to work for you and congrats on switching to vaping! :)

Ann

Coastal Cowboy

This aggression will not stand, man!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Alabama Gulf Coast
www.ibleedcrimsonred.com
Some coils are more gunk prone than others, and some liquids are more prone to gunk coils than others. You may have matched one with the other.

Airflow through the tank plays a role, too. The tighter the draw, the less efficient your tank is in cleanly vaporizing the liquid.

Higher PG liquids tend to be thinner and less prone, and tanks that let you air it out are more efficient.

I don't know much about your particular setup, but to me, there are few better performing tanks than the Subtank mini and the Baby Beast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread