Not open for further replies.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 8, 2014
Nebraska
Should I try and update this?

if it isn't broken, don't try fix it.

Scouser beat me to it and I concur, not that my extremely limited computer/programming/general intelligence quotient even moves the needle on the "I know what I'm talking about" meter. :shock:

As I said earlier, this is not an earth-shattering bug in my world and had it not been for the fact I was already very seriously considering getting a new computer, I would not have even tried the update. But I have always been somewhat of a puzzle nut!

Reactions: IDJoel

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
As a long in the tooth software developer, I would say, if it isn't broken, don't try fix it. ;)
I was hoping you would say that! Thank you!! :D
But I have always been somewhat of a puzzle nut!
I share the obsession:). I think that is the part of me that "has" to find answers to other people's quandaries (that; and I am just a buttinski:facepalm:). :D

Thank you folks for the advise!:thumbs:

jblack741

ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2014
Detroit
Don't adjust your set.....

After searching tinternet, it seems this is a known and very old unfixed .NET problem where controls on forms disappear at certain resolutions. Have you tried to update to the latest version Microsoft .NET with all its Service Packs?

Incidentally, this problem does not show up running JuiceCalculator under Wine on the Mac.

HOLD THE PHONE @Scouser !!!! :thumb:
Did you say you have the calc running on your mac with Wine?.... WOOOHOOOO!
Do you have full functionality? What version of Wine?

I ask because I just got my friend into DIY and he uses Macs/ipads. We had to setup dual boot on his macbook pro and install win7 which he now uses to manage his DIY activities. I'm a PC guy who will start working for Apple on this coming friday... heheheh! But I'd love some basic setup info for Wine so I could get my buddy up and running in his native OS!

jb

jblack741

ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2014
Detroit
The latest version .NET 4.7 was released only yesterday! and it looks like they have a fix for this very problem. From Microsoft's .NET blog:

However, they also state:

So, this fix has probably not propagated to earlier releases yet. But if your running Windows 10 and have this problem, this .NET update should fix it. If your running Wndows 7, you will have to wait.

** HOWEVER ** of course, the final word on this "MUST" be left with Rod, who isn't present to comment on this thread right now. It is very likely he will want to confirm (reproduce the bug) and test his code using this new update. The .NET update should make no difference to the application working as normal but install at your own risk.

Instructions on the blog site tell you how to install/update.
See: Announcing the .NET Framework 4.7

Also see: dotnet/README.md at master · Microsoft/dotnet · GitHub

I should also point out that I don't run Windows (Wouldn't touch it with a barge pole). So, I don't have a Windows system to test this on.....and so I cant confirm that this update does actually fix the problem. It's just a suggested idea ;)

Don't hold your breath waiting for a .NET 4.7 package to address issues within win7. If it's not a critical security issue, they will not spend time on it! You can install 4.7 to ensure all other aspects of .NET are up to date, which you should do anyway if running windows 7 - 10.

jb

Scouser

ECF Veteran
  • Aug 11, 2016
    Liverpool, UK
    HOLD THE PHONE @Scouser !!!! :thumb:
    Did you say you have the calc running on your mac with Wine?.... WOOOHOOOO!
    Do you have full functionality? What version of Wine?

I ask because I just got my friend into DIY and he uses Macs/ipads. We had to setup dual boot on his macbook pro and install win7 which he now uses to manage his DIY activities. I'm a PC guy who will start working for Apple on this coming friday... heheheh! But I'd love some basic setup info for Wine so I could get my buddy up and running in his native OS!

jb
    Yeah if you search back through this thread I gave instructions on how to install the calculator under Wine. Essentially, you install Wine with "winebottler". Ensure you choose the latest .NET and away you go. Install the portable version. Full functionality except printing does not work properly and there are a few niggly bugs in the wine implementation but I get around them. For all intents, I am happy with the calculator running on my Mac and use it a few times a week now without any issues. Of course if you are going to want to print labels, you will have problems. Basically, Wine can't connect to the printing service on Mac properly, so you cant select a printer type. It defaults to some standard Wndblows crap. Have fun.

jblack741

ECF Veteran
    Mar 11, 2014
    Detroit
    Yeah if you search back through this thread I gave instructions on how to install the calculator under Wine. Essentially, you install Wine with "winebottler". Ensure you choose the latest .NET and away you go. Install the portable version. Full functionality except printing does not work properly and there are a few niggly bugs in the wine implementation but I get around them. For all intents, I am happy with the calculator running on my Mac and use it a few times a week now without any issues. Of course if you are going to want to print labels, you will have problems. Basically, Wine can't connect to the printing service on Mac properly, so you cant select a printer type. It defaults to some standard Wndblows crap. Have fun.

Yeah the printer part is a deal breaker... that's why we did not continue use of ejuicemeup on mac, because he could not map to his printer... damn I thought we had a breakthrough!!!! Oh well.

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2014
    Massachusetts
    I have run into a problem that I hope is mine.
    I created a new recipe today, and the nicotine amount is incorrect.
    It seems like it treated the nic as PG and decreased the amount to keep the PG within the ratio.
    All items are correct as far as PG/VG, weights, types (flavor, nicotine, PG, VG).
    Here's a couple of screenshots from this.
    Irish Cream Error.PNG Irish Cream Error-n.PNG

jblack741

ECF Veteran
    Mar 11, 2014
    Detroit
    It seems like it treated the nic as PG and decreased the amount to keep the PG within the ratio.
    All items are correct as far as PG/VG, weights, types (flavor, nicotine, PG, VG).
    View attachment 648185 View attachment 648187
    Not sure what you are asking here... the information shown looks correct so what makes you think there is a problem with the nic?

jblack741

ECF Veteran
    Mar 11, 2014
    Detroit
    View attachment 648185 View attachment 648187

What I'm seeing is that your flavor ratios are very high and you have to remember that most of the flavors on the market are PG based! If your flavor ratios exceed the overall flavor percentage then you'll see a "Red Bar" below the recipe mix along with a warning the it cannot adjust the VG vol in the mix. Try reducing your flavor percents and see if you can adjust your PG/VG back to 30/70, 40/60, 50/50 or even 20/80 and see what you get.

jb

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2014
    Massachusetts
    What I'm seeing is that your flavor ratios are very high and you have to remember that most of the flavors on the market are PG based! If your flavor ratios exceed the overall flavor percentage then you'll see a "Red Bar" below the recipe mix along with a warning the it cannot adjust the VG vol in the mix. Try reducing your flavor percents and see if you can adjust your PG/VG back to 30/70, 40/60, 50/50 or even 20/80 and see what you get.

Thanks, but I don't care if the PG/VG ratio was off. It is the nicotine that is wrong, it is about 50% of what it should be.

jblack741

ECF Veteran
    Mar 11, 2014
    Detroit
    Thanks, but I don't care if the PG/VG ratio was off. It is the nicotine that is wrong, it is about 50% of what it should be.
    you're right, you do have an issue. This is what I get with your values...
    upload_2017-4-11_17-33-11.png

upload_2017-4-11_17-33-53.png

You may have to re-install your calculator to fix this... I don't see anything in options that would trigger your outcome.

jb

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2014
    Massachusetts
    sorry for the delay and missed cross msg... what did you change?

Nothing. It is a different recipe. Since I'm making 10mg juice, I knew the nic value was wrong. I just didn't add any PG to make up for the difference on the 'bad' one.

Hmmm, reinstall. I think I'll have to poke at it a bit more before doing that. Could be in the data file too.

Thanks for confirming that you get valid results using the same ingredients. That helps with figuring out what is happening. But it also makes it seem to be data file related.

I'll go through the ingredients carefully and post back.

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Found it.
    The Irish Cream flavoring had 100mg/ml in the nicotine settings though it was marked as flavor.
    When I zeroed that, the calculations are correct.
    Thanks again for the sanity check, else I wouldn't have looked at each flavor for a while.

jblack741

ECF Veteran
    Mar 11, 2014
    Detroit
    Found it.
    The Irish Cream flavoring had 100mg/ml in the nicotine settings though it was marked as flavor.
    When I zeroed that, the calculations are correct.
    Thanks again for the sanity check, else I wouldn't have looked at each flavor for a while.

Outstanding....:thumb:

@HotRod19579.......this software is FANTASTIC!

By far the best mixing calculator that I have ever used, and it does so much more. It stores my recipes, calculates my cost of goods sold, keeps track of my inventory......this has made my life so much easier, I can't possibly thank you enough.

The only thing that I think would improve it would be to be able to factor in the cost of bottles and labels, and a more simplified recipe export would be nice too. Neither of these is a must-have, this software is truly amazing as it is, just my thoughts.

Thank you thank you thank you!

Brian Miller
    MCP E-Liquids
    https://www.mcpeliquids.com

ShowerHead

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 23, 2014
    Massachusetts
    I'd suggest making the default nicotine 0 when adding flavors. Or anything for that matter.
    If I buy nicotine, it is a once in a while thing and I could set it. Whereas I often buy new flavors and need to set that field to zero when I add the ingredient.

Plus, I just had an oversight that took others 15-20 minutes to figure out. ;)

jblack741

ECF Veteran
    Mar 11, 2014
    Detroit
    @HotRod19579.......this software is FANTASTIC!

By far the best mixing calculator that I have ever used, and it does so much more. It stores my recipes, calculates my cost of goods sold, keeps track of my inventory......this has made my life so much easier, I can't possibly thank you enough.

The only thing that I think would improve it would be to be able to factor in the cost of bottles and labels, and a more simplified recipe export would be nice too. Neither of these is a must-have, this software is truly amazing as it is, just my thoughts.

Thank you thank you thank you!

Brian Miller
    MCP E-Liquids
    https://www.mcpeliquids.com
    Hi Brian,
    Single recipe export is simple...
    Option #1
    tools>Export to juice file> select recipe(s) from list...
    This will give you an xml file of that recipe.

Option #2
    tools>Export to excel>select option(s)

I use option 1 to share recipes/notes with my friend in CA who is running the same app.

jb

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread