New Guy--

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkRNY

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2016
Rockland County, NY
I'm finally posting!

This is a BIG site and can be a little confusing for a newb but, from the posts I've been reading, the members seem like good people. I'm glad I joined.

Anyway, I was a fairly heavy smoker (about a pack and a half/2 packs a day) but have been half vaping and half smoking for about a year and a half now. Finally decided to get rid of the smokes for good and vape full time. I figured that now's the time to get to know the folks here.

I've been using V2's series 3 Pro and, although they do some things well, they do some things very poorly. I was hoping to get some ideas here on alternatives after this introduction. Some insight from those who have quit smoking through vaping would be a great help too.

I'm also extremely interested in the fight to keep vaping legal, because they WILL come down hard on vapers if they can get away with it, imo. It's what they do. I know that this site's involved with that fight, which means it's helping to save lives.

That's it! I hope to get to know some of you and I hope you'll forgive my future mega-newblike questions.

Thanks!

D4rk50ul

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
Hawaii
www.xda-developers.com
Welcome to the forums, it's a big place but I am sure you will find your answers and plenty of support. I looked up what you are using right now, looks like a decent pen/ego style kit. What do you feel is lacking about them?

I'm a big believer in the easier the setup is to use and maintain as long as it's doing the job the better. I'm sure we can get you some solid ideas once you describe what you want out of it.

MarkRNY

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2016
Rockland County, NY
Thanks D4--

There's a lot to like. The Series 3 batteries and liquids are 1st rate. What's beginning to cause me to look elsewhere are their cartridges. The cartridges have a very short "lifespan" in my experience. After 2 or 3 refills, the taste and vapor output begin to decline fast. Then the leaking begins. The Carts can be hit and miss also, a few have been duds from the 1st day. Shipping's becoming a drag too--10 to 12 days from Miami to NY. I think they're swamped.

Since I plan on quitting now, I don't want that kind of unpredictability. I was hoping to find a similar but more reliable setup, i.e. Pen size, in the same price range where I don't have to worry about the carts wearing out after a week or so (quitting smokes will be nerve racking enough).

Any suggestions would be appreciated. It's a maze out there when it comes to vaping.

D4rk50ul

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 3, 2010
Hawaii
www.xda-developers.com
I'm sure someone more familiar with what's on the market right now can make a hardware recommendation. Rather than try to get 2+ weeks out of a small coil/tank like that perhaps adopt the mindset of finding one that works great for 10-14 days but is cheap and can be filled with any juice. Then just buy juice you like at a much cheaper rate and an extra battery or two for spares. It sucks to throw away a coil that cost $5+ but if they are $1-2 it's not so bad.

Reactions: MarkRNY

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
There's a lot to like.

*many comments deleted*

..these grotesquely greedy US/UK brands buy their hardware from the same makers in China as everybody else. Then they pay internet media companies to create a brand image, bribe reviewers with financial incentives to promote the product and pay fake review sites large amounts of money to make a certain brand the #1 choice.

This side of the industry is a shameful disgrace. Kits at triple the price, over priced liquid, over priced accessories all wrapped up in deeply dubious marketing.

*more ranting*

(Sorry)... :)

Last edited:

gandymarsh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
WI, USA
Welcome to ECF!

Yeah, you can do a lot better than the Vuse for a lot less money.

What I consider to be the bare minimum starter kit would be an Ego style battery with a Ce4 clearomizer.

Virgin Vapor has a sale right now on several basic Ego style batteries. This is the kit I started with 3 years ago. I paid $44 for it 3 years ago and still have one battery that works. KGO Electronic Cigarette Starter Kit

A better kit would be something like an Ego AIO or Endura T18 or T20. Joyetech eGo AIO All in One Starter Kit

Innokin Endura T18 Starter Kit

Carl2

ECF Veteran
Jun 30, 2016
I've been vaping for a year now, I began coughing in the morning when I picked up my pipe so I got a vaporizer and haven't touched the pipe in 9 or 10 months. I went with a vaporizer and tank kit where you can adjust air flow and temp. One of my favorites was the Eleaf Pico that is still being sold. Small size, good menu, plenty of flavor and vapor, also a good price.
If you smoke that much you'll need a e liquid with a lot of nicotine, I started at 18 mg of nicotine and I smoked a lot less than you. Here's a link
iSmoka Eleaf iStick Pico 75W Melo 3 Mini Kit -Black
if you look around you may find it for less but I uses this site because it is easy and quick and has fast delivery.

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
I'm also extremely interested in the fight to keep vaping legal, because they WILL come down hard on vapers if they can get away with it, imo. It's what they do. I know that this site's involved with that fight, which means it's helping to save lives.
Welcome and so glad you joined. We need folks like you to help fight for non smokers/vaping rights.
Please consider joining CASAA.
Re: What and who is CASAA?

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
I've been using V2's series 3 Pro and, although they do some things well, they do some things very poorly. I was hoping to get some ideas here on alternatives after this introduction. Some insight from those who have quit smoking through vaping would be a great help too.

Welcome, Mark. I though I'd reply to the quitting smoking part of your post since you've already received some advice on equipment.

I've heard plenty of quitting stories, and my takeaway from them all is that there's no one right way to do it. It's a case of finding what works for you.

I quit fairly easily. I was a dual user for a few weeks. I didn't put any pressure on myself, and eventually decided not to buy another pack immediately just to see how it went. It went well, and in the 4 intervening years I've never gotten around to buying my next pack. Since you've been dual using for some time, this probably won't be the right strategy for you.

Some people take the opposite route. They set a day (sometimes today, right this instant) and determine that they'll never have another cigarette after it. From there, it's a case of making yourself stick to it.

Others step down. They might half their smoking every week/fortnight/month until they're down to one a day, and then drop it entirely.

The key thing is not to give up. Some people succeed at their first attempt. Others at their second, third or fourth. If you slip up, don't beat yourself up - just try again.

Oh, I just remembered one more point. Make sure you have backups for all your equipment! Nothing sabotages an attempt to switch faster than the failure of key vaping equipment.

Good luck!

MarkRNY

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2016
Rockland County, NY
Wow! I only got one email notification of a response. Didn't know there were more. I appreciate it.

A lot of very helpful info. What djsvapour said seems to be the case. The Internet and Youtube are flooded with pro-V2 reviews and the info's redundant.

Anyway, I'm going to check out the suggestions here. My main problem is cartridge life (as I speak/type, a cart that I've only refilled 3 times is tasting "burnt"--and it's Memorial Day weekend!). Going through their carts starts to run into bucks.

V2's got me to the point where I'm down to 4 or 5 cigs a day and I'm thankful for that, but it's time to move on. I'll check out your suggestions and....probably come back for more newb advice (lol).

Thanks again and have a great weekend.

Reactions: djsvapour

MarkRNY

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2016
Rockland County, NY
Welcome and so glad you joined. We need folks like you to help fight for non smokers/vaping rights.
Please consider joining CASAA.
Re: What and who is CASAA?

Thanks, BrotherBob. Going to check out their site and help however I can. Looks like a good and much needed group.

Reactions: BrotherBob

Continuity

ECF Veteran
Apr 19, 2015
NW, UK
...My main problem is cartridge life (as I speak/type, a cart that I've only refilled 3 times is tasting "burnt"...Going through their carts starts to run into bucks...
And this is one of the main reasons why these systems aren't favoured by people who been through this dance before - they completely rape you on the 'refills' once they get you hooked on their 'system'.

Look into getting a decent vape mod (like an eLeaf Pico or a VTC vTwo etc) and a tank that suits you - if you get a tank with rebuildable coils, you can save a lot of money that way.

BlueMoods

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2010
USA - Arkansas
A lot of people will disparage my favorite little mod - the NEBOX but, I love mine. It has a deck for rebuildable coils, it can use premade coils or, premade, full atomizer units (coil, wicked for you and all.) uses 18650 batteries, has wattage and temp control. (Up to 60 watts or 300 degrees f)

Minor down sides to it - floods easily if you pull to hard and, has a light, airy draw (it is a low end, sun-ohm cloud machine type mod) it will leak if the least bit flooded. It leakes below 1.3 of a tank, built in tank is plasic so a few flavors are off limits in it and, it is a bit challenging to wash the tank side of it out and not get the other side with the electronics wet but, can be done.

Best thing is, it's around 20.00 USD so, very affordable and, easy to use for those wanting a bit more than a pen, wanting to learn to build coils, try out sub ohm, temp control and such. Worst case you either hate it, or break it - it's only 20.00 and, you will learn with it.

You might even decide it's quirks are okay and, it's a decent little vape box for a while.

MarkRNY

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2016
Rockland County, NY
And this is one of the main reasons why these systems aren't favoured by people who been through this dance before - they completely rape you on the 'refills' once they get you hooked on their 'system'.

Look into getting a decent vape mod (like an eLeaf Pico or a VTC vTwo etc) and a tank that suits you - if you get a tank with rebuildable coils, you can save a lot of money that way.

I've just learned that the hard way. It wasn't a "crisis" when I was half (or less) vaping and half smoking, but now that I'm down to 4 or 5 butts a day and vaping like a madman it can ruin your weekend when a cart's a dud.

My girlfriend just bought me an eGo aio starter kit (she's sick of my whining). Seems like a decent place to start--no carts to worry about, simple design and inexpensive. I'll see how that goes and move on from there.

Thanks, Continuity.

MarkRNY

ECF Veteran
Apr 18, 2016
Rockland County, NY
A lot of people will disparage my favorite little mod - the NEBOX but, I love mine. It has a deck for rebuildable coils, it can use premade coils or, premade, full atomizer units (coil, wicked for you and all.) uses 18650 batteries, has wattage and temp control. (Up to 60 watts or 300 degrees f)

Minor down sides to it - floods easily if you pull to hard and, has a light, airy draw (it is a low end, sun-ohm cloud machine type mod) it will leak if the least bit flooded. It leakes below 1.3 of a tank, built in tank is plasic so a few flavors are off limits in it and, it is a bit challenging to wash the tank side of it out and not get the other side with the electronics wet but, can be done.

Best thing is, it's around 20.00 USD so, very affordable and, easy to use for those wanting a bit more than a pen, wanting to learn to build coils, try out sub ohm, temp control and such. Worst case you either hate it, or break it - it's only 20.00 and, you will learn with it.

You might even decide it's quirks are okay and, it's a decent little vape box for a while.

I appreciate it. Going to have to learn more about coils, wattage, etc. I'm sort of a nursery school vaper. I've only known one brand, and none of that really came into play. It is now though!

NEBOX sounds good. I'll check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread