New member; Provari replacement?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SanDiegoDogMa

Jun 13, 2017
Greetings from cloudy, muggy San Diego

New to forum, (ex-lurker), but I have been vaping for 3 1/2 years. vaping helped me quit a 35+ year smoking habit overnight.

Way back when I first started playing around with the idea of using an ecig to to help me quit, I came here to research and learn about "e-cigs". I liked what I read about Provari so that's what I set my heart on. I hemmed and hawed for a few years before taking the plunge, but plunge I did and I've never looked back.

What I like about Provari is its reliability and simplicity (my eyes start to cross when I read about things like "wattage", etc). I like that it hits just as strong with a nearly dead battery as it does with a fully charged one. That's important to me.

However, after countless times of dropping it or knocking it over, I noticed that my Triton tank sits on it a little bit crookedly. It hasn't hurt its performance any but it made me start to think it might be a good idea to get a back up vape just in case.

I've tried to read up on what's out there on my own, but discussions inevitably get technical and my eyes start crossing. I would appreciate any suggestions that anyone might have or help pointing me in the right direction to find a similar device to a Provari.

Thanks in advance,

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I kinda felt the same way a bit hen I moved to VV.

The thing that helped me is it turns out the numbers don't matter all that much. It may register to the tenth of a watt, but it's all garbage pretty much all VV mods could do with five settings:
Off, Tiny, some, a lot, and wow. This goes for pretty much every measurement in vaping.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Hi and welcome. You might find a used Provari here in the classifieds. I see them from time to time. If not, it really depends on whether you want in the high or low end of the market. If the latter, buy an iStick and replace it when it goes. If, OTOH, you don't object to paying for quality, a visit to the House of Hybrids website will be worth your time. They make the Kabuki tank, which is probably the best MTL tank in the world. Unlike most of the other high-end tall coil tanks, you don't have to be a coil builder; it uses Aspire Nautilus coils. Still better, it can be had with a 510 connector, or HoH's proprietary hybrid threading, or Provari P3 threads. The latter two are much larger in diameter and much less likely to bend as your Triton has. Combining that tank with one of HoH's mods-- they make mechs, which I lust after, as well as a regulated model-- you'll have about the best gear going. Another solid option in the "lifetime mod" market is the German company Dicodes. Their gear is also superior. Be prepared for sticker shock. You'll pay for either.

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
If it's a back-up, I can see no reason for opting for anything but a cheap Pico or Evic mini VTC or something along those lines.
Now, if and when it (the Provari) gives up you can re-think the strategy.
Provari/Provape were great mods but not all the 'high end' stuff can be called genuinely reliable.
That's why I stick to proven $20-$50 mass-produced box mods.

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
First things first, if your topper is slightly crooked on your ProVari, you can solve that yourself. As the 510 connector and top cap are one piece and the cap is press fitted into the tube, you can tap it back into position to level it back out. I've had one ProVari take many bad drops and have had to do that a number of times. If you need a hand just PM me here and I can walk you through it.

You can get new or close to new ProVaris on Ebay all the time as there is quite a large market for them, it just costs about $100. Still a great deal for such a quality durable mod if it fits your style of vaping. If fits mine and I have a few. Good luck!

SanDiegoDogMa

Jun 13, 2017
First things first, if your topper is slightly crooked on your ProVari, you can solve that yourself. As the 510 connector and top cap are one piece and the cap is press fitted into the tube, you can tap it back into position to level it back out. I've had one ProVari take many bad drops and have had to do that a number of times. If you need a hand just PM me here and I can walk you through it.

You can get new or close to new ProVaris on Ebay all the time as there is quite a large market for them, it just costs about $100. Still a great deal for such a quality durable mod if it fits your style of vaping. If fits mine and I have a few. Good luck!

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
If you dig hard enough you might find a shop that still has a ProVari in stock. My new Radius gets delivered tomorrow. :)
Found one, did you? Good on you. I wanted one myself, but they went out of business so shortly after making the Radius I never had the bucks and desire all mushed together at the same time.

gandymarsh

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2014
WI, USA
Welcome to ECF!

Variable Watts is easy to use, most people prefer it to Variable Volts.

I buy inexpensive devices like the Eleaf iSticks.

It's sad that Provape closed down. They had a sale going for awhile before they went out of business with some ridiculously low prices. Too bad you missed it.

There is a high quality mod that several members have given high marks. It's made by Jac Vapour.

JAC Vapour Series-B DNA 75w

SanDiegoDogMa

Jun 13, 2017
Wow, thank you all so much for your great suggestions. Yes! I have a plan of action. First, will be to tap the topper back into place. Thank you, 440BB, had no idea I could do that.

Next, I'll check out the Pico and Evic. Then I'll hit the classifieds.

Okay, I lied. I'll probably check out Kabuki at House of Hybrid first, cause I can always dream, right? Plus there's Christmas...

It's funny, I started out with a Provari because money was and is tight. I didn't want to "work my way up"; I couldn't afford to. A disastrous and unsatisfactory experience with my mother's cig look-a-like convinced me to bite the bullet and get what I wanted.

Thanks again, everyone.

SanDiegoDogMa

Jun 13, 2017
[QUOTE="gandymarsh, post: 19993521, member: 204924"

It's sad that Provape closed down. They had a sale going for awhile before they went out of business with some ridiculously low prices. Too bad you missed it.

There is a high quality mod that several members have given high marks. It's made by Jac Vapour.

JAC Vapour Series-B DNA 75w[/QUOTE]

Thank you, Gandymarsh.

Yeah, I literally nearly wept when I tried to get another Provari for a friend last month and found that they are gone. Oh you know my little, tight-fisted black heart was just sick at the thought of all those "ridiculously low prices" I missed. *sob*

Will check out Jac Vapour too. Thanks for the link.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread