New Protank broken! Weak threads. Buyer beware

Status
Not open for further replies.

seahawkin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 11, 2013
Rochelle, VA
All right. I am a klutz, when I dropped my Provari in the toilet a friend responded with 'again, we got you a lanyard to avoid that'. I drop and break everything, I have broken things that should not be easily broken. I have broken Protanks, Vivis, my ZAP glass, Vamos, etc... They bust equally well in my opinion, give it to me and I will break it.

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
One thing everyone using a BCC design needs to be aware of:
The Design requirements lead to a more fragile end product.

There has to be enough room for a properly designed coil head to fit the Base and contact the Battery(Device)
The 510 standard cannot be circumvented.
This leaves a rather thin threaded tube to support the entire tank assembly.

The heavier the device, i.e. a Vamo or Provari, etc. the more likely a failure will occur if dropped. Even on a lighter device they have bent and broken.

A tank support locked to the base of the tank can stop or lessen side force on the threaded shaft and may save your investment.
Unlike a Air regulator a Tank support strikes the Base outside the threading to maintain a larger diameter support area.

TankAdapter.jpg

Last edited:

BlueMoods

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2010
USA - Arkansas
Yep, pretty common, I go through a base a week on average with my Provari and Protanks - probably why they sell out so fast, we buy 4-5 at a time. After a while you get really good at getting the remains out of the Provari and, keep a spare tank or at least a base and, needle nose pliers in your go kit.

You don't have to drop it to break the tank, just sit on it on a hard chair of very firm padded one even and, it can break. Knocking it from upright to on it's side on a concrete picnic table does it too. Just one of the minor inconveniences we put up with to have the hits we love form our protanks and, really not much can be done about it, it's the nature of the beast and has to be that way to function properly.

e-pipeman

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2008
Brown Edge, England
Yep, pretty common, I go through a base a week on average with my Provari and Protanks - probably why they sell out so fast, we buy 4-5 at a time. After a while you get really good at getting the remains out of the Provari and, keep a spare tank or at least a base and, needle nose pliers in your go kit.

You don't have to drop it to break the tank, just sit on it on a hard chair of very firm padded one even and, it can break. Knocking it from upright to on it's side on a concrete picnic table does it too. Just one of the minor inconveniences we put up with to have the hits we love form our protanks and, really not much can be done about it, it's the nature of the beast and has to be that way to function properly.

Jolly good. The new bases work imho. ymmv.

Jo Patterson

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2013
Reno, Nevada
All right. I am a klutz, when I dropped my Provari in the toilet a friend responded with 'again, we got you a lanyard to avoid that'. I drop and break everything, I have broken things that should not be easily broken. I have broken Protanks, Vivis, my ZAP glass, Vamos, etc... They bust equally well in my opinion, give it to me and I will break it.

Try the one I use - then please let me know what it takes to break it (on accident, not on purpose - I'm sure anyone could break it on purpose)

ARO Pyrex Bottom Coil Tank

crxess

Grumpy Ole Man
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 20, 2012
Williamsport Md
Try the one I use - then please let me know what it takes to break it (on accident, not on purpose - I'm sure anyone could break it on purpose)

ARO Pyrex Bottom Coil Tank

Apples to Oranges - You cannot compare an EGO threaded connection to a 510 connection .
EGO will not fit ant 510 only mod without an additional adapter. 510 will fit any ego/510

How tall is that thing anyway? Looks the diameter of a T3 and claims 3.5ml?

This can be compared to the Protank mini or protank2 mini - both have Ego threading.

ETA: never mind. I see Mad made a mistake 2.0ml

Last edited:

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
One thing everyone using a BCC design needs to be aware of:
The Design requirements lead to a more fragile end product.

There has to be enough room for a properly designed coil head to fit the Base and contact the Battery(Device)
The 510 standard cannot be circumvented.
This leaves a rather thin threaded tube to support the entire tank assembly.

The heavier the device, i.e. a Vamo or Provari, etc. the more likely a failure will occur if dropped. Even on a lighter device they have bent and broken.

A tank support locked to the base of the tank can stop or lessen side force on the threaded shaft and may save your investment.
Unlike a Air regulator a Tank support strikes the Base outside the threading to maintain a larger diameter support area.

View attachment 242765

That's what I use. I haven't dropped my big mods much but it seems the problem is large heavy item held together with a tiny thread section. I also think that is the problem with people stripping threads.

Jo Patterson

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2013
Reno, Nevada
Apples to Oranges - You cannot compare an EGO threaded connection to a 510 connection .
EGO will not fit ant 510 only mod without an additional adapter. 510 will fit any ego/510

How tall is that thing anyway? Looks the diameter of a T3 and claims 3.5ml?

This can be compared to the Protank mini or protank2 mini - both have Ego threading.

ETA: never mind. I see Mad made a mistake 2.0ml

Nope, the smaller plastic one is 2.0 ml
ARO Bottom Coil Tank

This one is 3.5

ARO Pyrex Vaping Bottom Coil 3.5ml Vaping tank device - YouTube

Myk

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 1, 2009
IL, USA
Yeah I have 11 left in my repair kit so, good for a while. :) Thanks. As for the rings, they just don't look right to me, I like it w/o the ring so, I'll buy a few bases now and then. To each his own.

On what? With a Vamo and eVic they rings are almost completely hidden except for a gap, which is there anyway.

Jo Patterson

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 28, 2013
Reno, Nevada

After re-reading the first post - I can compare anything I want to, as long as it's a possible replacement for the protank that seems to break very easily. :glare::glare::glare:
Yep, protank fanboys may spend lots of time and money dealing with it's various foibles ... but the OP is not a protank fanboy and alternative possibilities are in my opinion totally on topic.:2c:

Last edited:

mattrhdr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2013
Toronto
I bought a Kanger ProTank after hearing so many good things about it but today my ProVari fell off my nightstand onto the carpet and the bottom threads of the tank snapped off leaving them inside my Provari's connection. This is the first time I've dropped my ProVari with this tank and I'm pretty upset that it couldn't take a 2 foot fall onto carpet.

I've dropped my ProVari on CONCRETE with my ViVi Nova's many times and never have they broke. They've came apart before but never has the metal snapped in half like this tank.

Anyways.. I just wanted to vent my frustration with this tank and let others who may be considering buying it know that the metal connection is cheap and will probably break the first time you drop it.

How do or did you like the protank on the Provari? I have several Protanks which I love and I just ordered a Provari Mini, been trying to find others out there that use the same setup but havent been able to yet...

kas122461

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2013
Indiana, USA
All I use are the pro-tanks, and cig-techs copy, the tatroe tank, I really like them a lot, and all of them work good on everything I have encluding my provari. Cig techs also makes a stainless end cap (base) for the pro-tank/tatroe tank that I like also.

If you want to see pics of various set ups on provaris look at this thread.

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/provari/385827-whats-your-provari.html

Last edited:

Kristin0624

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2013
Bradenton, Florida, United States
How do or did you like the protank on the Provari? I have several Protanks which I love and I just ordered a Provari Mini, been trying to find others out there that use the same setup but havent been able to yet...

I love my protank & provari mini setup :)

Sent from my LG-MS770 using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread