RDA New to dripping/RDAs. And I'm having some trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottD

Jul 20, 2016
So I just bought a subzero 22mm RDA because it came highly recommended from a few different sources. I then attempted my first build and it's pretty bad, measures in at 2.5 ohms. So I try and try again and I finally got it to .25 ohms. I've been using it for about a day now and it's horrible. The flavor is subpar and I've rewicked it 3 times because I kept getting burnt flavor after 3-4 times dripping. The coils are also almost black now. Is the wire faulty? The wicks? Am I doing something wrong regarding building? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm using stainless steel 316L 24 gauge around a 2.5 mm post with 12 wraps (comes out to .25) and I'm vaping it around 50-55 watts (3.5-3.7 volts) and my juice is a 75 VG 25 PG blend.

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
Sounds like you have some hot spots in the coil.
Remove the wick and press the fire button until you get a dull red glow. Use tweezers or a small screwdriver to remove the build up on the coil. Do this a few times then take the atty off the mod and rinse it off under the faucet.
Put it back on the mod and hit the fire button, do you see any sparks? Part of the coil heating up before the rest of the coil? Like where the wire comes from the posts or where the coils touch each other?
Watch a few YouTube vids on coil building and you'll have a better idea what I'm saying, but a hot spot will create an off taste and gunk up a coil quickly.

ScottD

Jul 20, 2016
Update: I decided to just scratch the coils. I built a new dual coil setup, 24g kanthal 10 wrap per coil around 2.5mm post. Came out to .45 ohms. It seems to be doing better. I do know what hotspots are, and I had made sure my coils were glowing evenly on the last build. However, it seemed one coil was heating up a lot faster than the other so I don't know what could have caused that. So far this new build has been working much better. Hopefully it can keep up. Thanks for the help anyways guys.

Reactions: Taowulf

seek2

ECF Veteran
May 25, 2014
Chicago, IL
Roll a 6 wrap around a 3mm. Yes, the flavor got better because there are less wraps :). A coil that long that long no matter how good you are will not heat up evenly. So you have this little 2.5mm tunnel where the center juice is gonna cook right away, but as you continue the hit, it's completely dry.

What you want is a short fat coil. Will wick much better and heat up evenly.

Also short legs. Put the coil close and high up. If it's too low, not much air will hit it. When wrapping make sure it wraps tight and close.

Lastly. I would maybe start with single coil if your dripper allows for it. Otherwise , both coils and wicking jobs have to be 100% equal. For cotton I cut 2 of the exact same size pieces off my cotton that's an unrolled cotton ball, or the various flat vape packaged cotton.

But give that a try.

Reactions: Dshobe
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread