RDA New to RDAs, Omega on MVP 2.0, need some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexjustdoit

Mar 28, 2014
Oregon
Got an RDA today, wrapped a few coils and so far I don't think I'm doing it right. With 32g kanthal and cotton, all my dual coils (typically wrapping around 1.5 ohms total) barely put out any vapor. My single coils have a bit better vapor production and flavor, wrapped one at 2 or 2.4 ohms or so, but still not satisfactory. Throughout I had my MVP 2.0 set to 11w, but I'm not sure if it's actually firing at that since I know there's an amp limit. The MVPs current power reading doesn't seem accurate as it's always roughly the same no matter what coil I wrap or what tank I set on the device.

As far as I can see, my coils are a bit rough but not terrible. They seem to heat up evenly after I toy with them a bit, nice and bright orange. Maybe I'm wrapping the wrong kind of build for an MVP? I don't really want to spring for a mechanical mod.

Thanks for the help

realsis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2014
California
Hi, you won't have to spring for a mechanical mod but you might consider a regulated mod with a bit more power. Like a 20 or 30 watt unit. Not saying you would ever go as high as 20 or 30 watts but these units have more power to them. Also you might try a thicker wire like a 28 gauge. 32 gauge is very very thin and that in itself might be your issue. 28 gauge is pretty standard for coil building. Try the 28 gauge and see if you have better results. I suspect this will likely solve your problem. Best wishes.

Solomon7

Jul 25, 2014
P-town, OR
Your wire size is fine bro. I like a fast heating coil at low amps too.
At 1.5 or 2.4 ohms and 11 watts, you're still well within the MVP's 3 amp limit.
Air flow air flow air flow.
I have an Omega on an MVP wrapped with a single 2 ohm 32g parallel coil wrapped on a 5/64" bit.
Drilled a 1/16 hole on either side of the stock one, three total on one side, the other side sealed off.
Mad surface area and good flow.
Decent cloud and great flavor though I'll likely add a 3rd hole to cover more of the coil.

Last edited:

Solomon7

Jul 25, 2014
P-town, OR
I think as long as they both glow from their centers at the same time you're good. May have to fiddle with leg lengths to fine tune the individual coils. I've seen one person wrap some extra wire on the legs of one coild to reduce its resistance more in balance with the other, but that's kinda janky IMO. Easier to re-wrap till it's right, I think. Part of the fun!

rustafar

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 18, 2013
Weeki Wachee, FL.
I use my Helios and a Nimbus on my MVP 2. 28 gauge works great and I only set it at 8.5-10 watts. Not giant clouds but nice ones. you can use 30 gauge to get it hotter quicker. The MVP 2 can go down to 0.8 ohms safely. Air flow is key with drippers, so make sure your holes in the top cap are right in front of your coil(s) and make sure the coil(s) are not too low or too high elevation . Good luck and don't give up. Your set up will work so keep trying.
Here's a couple of pics for ya.

Attachments

• IMG_2155.jpg
    IMG_2155.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_2152.jpg
    IMG_2152.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 83

FreeTimeNow

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 30, 2014
Henderson, NV
I was thinking that if I were using thicker wire it would be easier for me to wrap tightly wound identical coils, rather than this super springy tiny 32 gauge wire. With more wraps with the thicker gauge, would the increased coil to wick surface area increase vapor production?
So the store that showed me how to make my coils showed me two tricks to remove the springy nature of the #26 wire we used. The method he uses, since he builds a lot of coils for customers I guess, is he uses a torch(like a cigar lighter) he got at a smoke shop and heats the coil then squeezes it with needle nose pliers...spring gone. He told me the torch isn't necessary for me cause I not building them one after another so to just heat the coil on the mod and squeeze it. Seemed to work just fine for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread