New Vaper, Coughing and Wheezing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NoodleGirl2323

Nov 18, 2016
Hi everyone! So I'm a 21 year old college student and brand new to vaping. About a week ago I bought my first vape. I got a honey bear (teddy graham) flavored juice with 0 nicotine. I used the vape a little that day and then tried hookah for the first time later that night. I felt myself coughing a very little bit but not enough to cause alarm. The next day I used the vape a little bit more and felt generally alright. The next day the coughing got much worse, to the point that it was a wheezing, barking cough and it hurt to breathe too deep. I stopped After about two days of this I decided to not vape to let my lungs rest for a while.

On the second day I reread the back of the bottlen to ensure there was nothing I could possibly be reacting to. In the maybe contain section it said may contain traces of nuts, which I'm highly allergic to. I figured that might be the cause of the reaction and decided not to smoke that specific juice anymore. So I haven't. But it's been about a week now and while my breathing no longer hurts at all, I still have an awful wheezing barking cough. I've been taking mucinex and Claritin and I think it's been helping but I'm honestly not sure what could be causing it.

I've never smoked anything before this point and I used to have bad asthma when I was a kid but it hasn't bothered me for many years. I'm also a type 1 diabetic. Can anyone offer some help? Thank you and I hope you all have a good day!

Last edited:

celticluvr

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Sep 21, 2013
    'bama
    basically your problem may just be that you aren't used to having anything in your lungs other than air. When a smoker first starts smoking, they to cough. Just like when you first start vaping. Other than that I have no idea.

Might help if you provided what equipment you are using and what the VG/PG ratio of juice you are using as well. :)

Welcome to ECF :):)

Reactions: Hitmetwice

Hitmetwice

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jan 18, 2012
    Ontario
    You may have simply picked up a cold/virus at the hookah bar or from passing your vape around. If you're allergic to nuts you may wanna stick to fruit flavours.

It may not help if in fact you've picked up a bug, but try vaping unflavoured to see if it bothers you. I discovered I needed to use very high PG liquids in the beginning, others use high VG.

If you really want to vape you may need to try different things to find what is best for you. One size does not fit all. Cheers.

NoodleGirl2323

Nov 18, 2016
    Thank you for the replies!

Based on the box I believe my vape is called an iCare. It's very small. The box says it's a "tiny e-cigarette starter kit with inbuilt tank". I unfortunately gave my juice to a friend as soon as I suspected I might be allergic so I'm not sure what the pg or vg ratio is. I'm not sure if I would have gotten sick from the hookah bar since two of my friends also used the hookah with me and none of them got sick. But it's always possible. The next time I get juice I'm going to get a fruit flavored rather than dessert flavor. I think that's the best bet if I want to continue.

Again, thank you very much for the replies!

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread