Light phlegmy cough

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vape-king

Feb 22, 2016
I've been vaping for 2 years. I had a break a year ago for a couple of months but then switched back to it again. I still have probably on average a cigarette a day but I have been informed that this still poses a threat to my health so I'm trying to cut it out completely. I get a slight phlegmy cough every now and again and sometimes a slight wheezing on the vale. I mean it's far better than it was when I was smoking cigarettes. I don't feel like I am drowning in phlegm liek cigarettes its just if I let off a cough on the odd occasion it can be a chesty cough. Like I said it's been years since I was cigarettes full time. Now I have the very rare cigarette. Could it be VG or could a partial cigarette habit be causing this? I'm really going to try and not smoke. The only time I'll allow myself is if I'm out drinking which is quite a rare thing tbh. Any help would be appreciated

Reactions: stols001

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
That’s your body getting rid of the cigarette garbage in your lungs. It willlikelygo away eventually. If you DL vape reallylarge amounts of juice (like I do) you may deveolpnot so much a cough, as a desire to hawk a really gnarly loogey (to terribly 80’s about this) now and again.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I've relapsed here and smoked some here and there. I had a light, plegmy cough the whole time almost when I was at close to max VG. (PG sensitive). I got some PEG400 (PG alternative) and it's less so, although I am coughing more now that I've introduced a cigarette here and there, so honestly it could be either.

But, when I had lower VG and no cigarettes at all, my lungs were pretty clear.

However, if you have concerns you should see a medical professional none of us are doctors and etc.

I'm sure others will chime in without the standard "doctor" disclaimer I ALWAYS put, because I am not one.

Good luck,

Anna

Reactions: Richard-D

Dieseler

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 24, 2011
Illinois
Have found out good while back that VG % matters in my DiY e-liquid more than 10% will have me hacking phlegm less than 6% in recipe is sweet spot.
We are all different as mention in thread some are sensitive to PG.

If you are a DiY you can try reducing one at a time like VG very low % in recipe give it some time and see what if things change , then try it with the PG .

Of course if worried something is wrong a Doctor visit would be best.

Cool_Breeze

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 10, 2011
Kentucky
Do you notice it comes from the throat, not lungs. I believe this is not uncommon with vaping. I believe I've heard Dr F mention it in passing. It didn't need to concern him but may be it would not be good for a singing voice.

This can be true. Sinus drainage into the throat can be a problem...sometimes surprizing. I'm sort of stuck to the VG end of the spectrum per PG seemingly causing psoriasis for me...same with PGA. It may be that VG contributes to sinus drainage. I would hope for other carriers for my nicotine.

DavidOck

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Halfway to Paradise, WA
Have found out good while back that VG % matters in my DiY e-liquid more than 10% will have me hacking phlegm less than 6% in recipe is sweet spot.
We are all different as mention in thread some are sensitive to PG.

If you are a DiY you can try reducing one at a time like VG very low % in recipe give it some time and see what if things change , then try it with the PG .

Of course if worried something is wrong a Doctor visit would be best.

Similar for me, although different %. Any VG over 50% and I'll get a phlegmy throat. So a good place to start.

Danny55

ECF Veteran
Dec 17, 2013
London UK
Over the last year or so since vaping direct to lung at 70 VG, I'm constantly clearing my throat. It's annoying. I don't bring anything up, I just clear my throat and then swallow. But within seconds I'm clearing my throat again. I often take gulps of guaifenesin cough mixture which works well for me in helping break up whatever it is. And on a few occasions I've vaped too much and ended up with a terrible cough which eventually goes away after a week or two. Would this be VG rather than PG creating a coating? I feel it right at the top of the chest, sort of between the very bottom of the throat and the top of the ribcage area. Also, does anyone do lung hits with 50/50 PG/VG? That's what I used to vape back in the day with MTL, I'm just wondering if it's ok to mix up 50/50? Maybe it would reduce the throat clearing.

Last edited:

JSL_Aus

Aug 16, 2018
Vape-king, I have been getting a slight phlegm cough the past week or so, but only for about 5 minutes at the start of the day. Can't say for sure, but have been vaping higher VG lately. It is just in my throat, not lungs, and clears or goes away after a few coughs. No big deal for me.

VG might be doing it, as with PG, I tend to get the sneezes or even a dry throat / dry throat cough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread