newbie RDA advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

frosc

Jan 23, 2017
hey guys, been vaping for a month, wanted to expand my vaping "knowledge" by trying an rda :p
Currently i have a serpent mini RTA, the flavor and vapor production is on point, as a flavor chaser, will the flavor production be much different than the serpent mini?
Also, what to look in a "good" RDA?
My local vape shop currently has an OBS Cheetah and Limitless RDA in stock (well, there were others, but I can only remember these 2 :p), thinking to buy one of those. advice?
thanks!

Last edited:
Reactions: BrotherBob

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
hey guys, been vaping for a month, wanted to expand my vaping "knowledge" by trying an RDA :p
Currently i have a serpent mini RTA, the flavor and vapor production is on point, as a flavor chaser, will the flavor production be much different than the serpent mini?
My local vape shop currently has an OBS Cheetah and Limitless RDA in stock (well, there were others, but I can only remember these 2 :p), thinking to buy one of those. advice?
thanks!

I used a LOT of RDAs but never the Limitless or Cheetah.

Here ARE my top RDAs for flavor chasers in the following order.

Darang
Deadmodz v2
Mako Shorty
Stumpy
Derringer
Freakshow Mini
Nova 22
Magma.

frosc

Jan 23, 2017
I used a LOT of RDAs but never the Limitless or Cheetah.

Here ARE my top RDAs for flavor chasers in the following order.

Darang
Deadmodz v2
Mako Shorty
Stumpy
Derringer
Freakshow Mini
Nova 22
Magma.

just did quick browse in an online shopping site here, I can only find Mako Shorty (clone, dont want to use clones if possible), Freakshow mini, and Derringer. I dont really like Freakshow's design (the engraving thingy), might look into the Derringer.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
just did quick browse in an online shopping site here, I can only find Mako Shorty (clone, dont want to use clones if possible), Freakshow mini, and Derringer. I dont really like Freakshow's design (the engraving thingy), might look into the Derringer.
If you don't like clones you don't like clones and thats your choice.

Me i will take a clone Atty ANY DAY of the week.

I have had far more problems with authentics than i ever had with all tge clones i bought put together

Authentics

Aqua v2
Bellus
Kayfun Mini V3
Lemo 2

All of those leaked like a sieve.

Tge little short Kayfun in my avatar id a clone i bought on Fasttech for $5.43. Its used on a Pico mod vsnd carried on its side in my pocket, and maybe leaked 1 ml of Juice in almost 17 months. Every single time it leaked was my FAULT ( not tightening the tank properly.

Am i saying all clones are that good? Absolutely not because there are some crappy clones out there. However there are s few real diamonds in the rough too.

FT has a clone of Darang that is almost as good as the authentic but costs only 10% as much.

Reactions: Ben85

mongo74

I'm your huckleberry.
ECF Veteran
Nov 15, 2016
Ωhmsville
@Two_Bears makes an excellent point. Using a clone is really up to you, but I will attest to his point with my own input:

I bought a clone and an authentic Goon LP. They were both 1:1 identical...right down to the atomizer short problems. No matter what I did (other than use smaller coils) I ran into the same problem. Only difference: one cost 20% of the other. Thankfully, I found someone willing to buy the authentic. I still use the clone from time to time, and it's not bad at all...when it decides to work lol.

BTW: the clone stopped showing atomizer short error on my mods before the authentic.

Reactions: Ben85

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
I'd check out the Limitless...it's not the color changing one, correct? The velocity post RDA with the conical shaped top cap and bottom airflow put out immense vapor and flavor. The Derringer is no slouch either...the smaller the RDA the more concentrated the flavor is.
Almost 100% correct the only csse i knoee of a taller Atty having a better flavor than a short Atty is the Darang

The Darabfy has air channels in the wall that reduces the internal size of the Chamber.

I tried a Friends authentic Darang $80 Atty.

I got a Darang clone from FT and the flavor was so close we couldn't tell the difference until looked at the bottom of the Atty

Reactions: mongo74

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
@Two_Bears makes an excellent point. Using a clone is really up to you, but I will attest to his point with my own input:

I bought a clone and an authentic Goon LP. They were both 1:1 identical...right down to the atomizer short problems. No matter what I did (other than use smaller coils) I ran into the same problem. Only difference: one cost 20% of the other. Thankfully, I found someone willing to buy the authentic. I still use the clone from time to time, and it's not bad at all...when it decides to work lol.

BTW: the clone stopped showing atomizer short error on my mods before the authentic.

Thanks.

I'm not saying go buy clone after clone.

What i'm saying is if you try s authentic but get sticker shock; ask around on ECF for a good clone of that Atomizer. And people can check reviews on the site for second 2nd 3rd opinions.

Reactions: djsvapour

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
hey guys, been vaping for a month, wanted to expand my vaping "knowledge" by trying an RDA :p
thanks!

Many people who are Flavor Chasers tend to gravitate towards Dedicated Single Coil RDA's. And RDA that have a Reduced Chamber Size.

I'm am One of those Flavor Chasing People.

I'd Recommend checking out the NarDa and or the Hadaly. The NarDa is my All Time Favorite. But the Hadaly isn't exactly Chopped Liver.

$9.35 NarDA Styled RDA Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer - 316 stainless steel / 22mm diameter at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

$14.90 SXK Hadaly Styled RDA Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer - stainless steel / 22mm diameter at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Note: Fasttech (FT) is a Chinese Company so the Shipping Times can be Slow. Great Prices. But if you are looking for something to use Right Away, FT isn't your best choice.

Reactions: frosc

djsvapour

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2012
England and Wales
I have an OBS Cheetah on order. I'm expecting it to be good.
Now... Derringer.... Derringer type atomizers vape quite different to all my 'normal' RDAs as it's low profile, hot and intense. Not always in a good way b.t.w.
Buying an 'original' before you have tried one is not a great idea. In fact, most originals are very expensive (understandable) and I would recommend you don't go that way to start.
I mean... how much is a Velocity v.2 - $80? I bought a 1:1 clone for $7 and absolutely detest it as a vape.
Up to you of course.
The Wotofo Sapor is a totally acceptable place to start if you want original and is a solid performer in many ways.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
Many people who are Flavor Chasers tend to gravitate towards Dedicated Single Coil RDA's. And RDA that have a Reduced Chamber Size.

I'd Recommend checking out the NarDa and or the Hadaly. The NarDa is my All Time Favorite. But the Hadaly isn't exactly Chopped Liver.

$9.35 NarDA Styled RDA Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer - 316 stainless steel / 22mm diameter at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

$14.90 SXK Hadaly Styled RDA Rebuildable Dripping Atomizer - stainless steel / 22mm diameter at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

Note: Fasttech (FT) is a Chinese Company so the Shipping Times can be Slow. Great Prices. But if you are looking for something to use Right Away, FT isn't your best choice.
You just Made me a happy little Bear

I added the NarDa to my Shopping cart.

I LOVE single coil attys.

Reactions: zoiDman

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
Now... Derringer.... Derringer type atomizers vape quite different to all my 'normal' RDAs as it's low profile, hot and intense. Not always in a good way b.t.w.
Buying an 'original' before you have tried one is not a great idea. In fact, most originals are very expensive (understandable) and I would recommend you don't go that way to start.
I mean... how much is a Velocity v.2 - $80? I bought a 1:1 clone for $7 and absolutely detest it as a vape.
Up to you of course.
The Wotofo Sapor is a totally acceptable place to start if you want original and is a solid performer in many ways.
I have had much more trouble with authentic atties than i ever had with clones.

If memory serves i had two problems with clone RDAs.

1. Veritas clone got to where tge top cap would not seat correctly removed one of the O rings snd life was good.

2. Magma had an issue of leaking Juice around the 510. A couple wraps of dental floss and covered with the O ring NO more leaks.

I didn't like the Magma for two reasons.

1. Too darn heavy
2. Not enough airflow.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
Up to you of course.
The Velocity is a real cloud chaser instead of flavor performer.

I do have to say the Velocity Mini (6 mm shorter improved the flavor but never enough to be a flavor chaser.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
You just Made me a happy little Bear

I added the NarDa to my Shopping cart.

I LOVE single coil attys.

It's a Nice RDA for Flavor. I'm Hitting on one Right Now.

And if for some reason it doesn't Rock your Boat, you're not out an Arm n' a Leg.

Two_Bears

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 4, 2015
Northern Arizona
It's a Nice RDA for Flavor. I'm Hitting on one Right Now.

And if for some reason it doesn't Rock your Boat, you're not out an Arm n' a Leg.

I added it for three reasons.

1. I keep an RDA around for testing new Juice.
2. I prefer single coils
3 the price.

I plan to put tge coil between the screws like a Kayfun or a vertical coil.

Reactions: zoiDman

Gcnc76

Dec 16, 2016
United States

I'm a flavor chaser, yet I can't stand trying to vape mtl. Smoked for 28 years, but once I started vaping I had to have lots of airflow. Love my Moonshot and Mage!

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I'm a flavor chaser, yet I can't stand trying to vape mtl. Smoked for 28 years, but once I started vaping I had to have lots of airflow. Love my Moonshot and Mage!

I wouldn't consider either the NarDa or the Hadaly as being able to do Wide Open/Lung Hits.

But in the Lest Restrictive setting, and with a Drip Tip that has a Large Inner Bore, they Aren't super restrictive. But not Tons of Air either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread