Nicotine and Periodontal Disease

Status
Not open for further replies.

UsedToBeNew

Aug 30, 2013
Oslo
Links between periodontal disease and tobacco are well documented, but what about nicotine specifically?

I have had periods of periodontal disease ever since I was a student, but have managed to keep gum recession in check - even whilst smoking - by having a sound oral-hygiene routine. However, since I started vaping (three months ago) I have noticed that one of the triangular gaps between my two bottom-front teeth has increased in size (or so I think). Now, I was using a manual toothbrush over this period, and was certainly guilty of brushing too hard. Could it have been the nicotine intake (certainly increased from smoking days) that could have caused this? Could manual brushing over such a relatively short period have caused this?

Could repliers post with sound scientific research into nicotine and gum recession. Not research into tobacco use, smokeless tobacco use, or nicotine gum (gum recession in this specific NRT could well be attributed to chewing), but specifically nicotine. And please, no anecdotal replies, please.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread