Texas

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
This is from the very article you chose to link to:

"In pressing the case for more stringent regulation of smokeless tobacco, a National Cancer Institute physician last week testified before Congress that smokeless-tobacco products can multiply users' risk of oral cancer by up to 50 times. The American Cancer Society followed up with a similar statement. But as Brad Rodu, professor of oncology at the University of Louisville whose research is funded by the tobacco industry, pointed out in a blog post this week, the risk figure is based on a survey of individuals who had used a form of tobacco called dry snuff, which is inhaled through the nose—a product that now is little used.

Peter Shields, deputy director of the Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center at Georgetown University, looked at several studies on smokeless tobacco risk and concluded that smokeless tobacco raises the risk of oral cancer by three to 10 times compared with nontobacco users, rather than 50 times."

So yeah, dip causing mouth cancer is a lie. What part of 3 to 10 times the risk of oral cancer compared to nontobacco users do you believe is in dispute?

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
The claims are overblown, just as they are with virtually everything else associated with nicotine use.

Even CASAA acknowledges that smokeless tobacco is a preferable harm reduction product when compared to cigarettes.

So yes. The overblown claims that your face is going to get cancer because you chew is a lie.

Edited to add:

There's even a news report today claiming that your house dust can cause cancer.

Before we know it, the government is going to have to put the brakes on living because everything we eat, breath or touch is going to be discovered as a cancer causing agent.

Phooey.

TVC70

ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2011
AZ, USA
Has it been determined that the nicotine in these products is the culprit? It would seem just as likely to me that it is (or could be) one or more other chemicals absorbed into the lining of the mouth from the tobacco that could be to blame. I know nothing about snuff, snus, chew, whatever, as I've never used them, so I'm just wondering.

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
As others have stated Nicotine does not cause cancer but all the other chemicals in smokeless tobacco do cause cancer from what I have heard for years. Also I know people who died from chewing tobacco who never smoked a cigarette in their entire lives. Here are some links for your reading pleasure? Maybe not pleasurable.

Health Risks of Smokeless Tobacco

Smokeless Tobacco and Cancer

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
So yes. The overblown claims that your face is going to get cancer because you chew is a lie.

You should be VERY careful about making claims like this. It's very close to being a lie itself.

The OVERBLOWN claims that you can get cancer from chewing tobacco are INACCURATE, but that doesn't make them a lie. The risks often cited are too high, but the risk does exist and even the most skeptical researchers agree that your risks are AT LEAST 3-10 times higher.

Is the 50 times more likely claim accurate?

No.

Does that mean that the whole claim that your risks of cancer are not significantly higher, tripled as a bare minimum, is a lie?

NO!

If you're going to dispute the accuracy of a claim you really need to be very accurate with your own information. Otherwise you're just as guilty of falsifying your claims as they are.

skoony

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2013
saint paul,mn,usa
so I have been looking back on older posts, and reading a lot of forums. Most people say nicotine doesn't cause cancer, but if that is the case, then why do people that dip get mouth cancer? Just curious .

This is from the very article you chose to link to:

"In pressing the case for more stringent regulation of smokeless tobacco, a National Cancer Institute physician last week testified before Congress that smokeless-tobacco products can multiply users' risk of oral cancer by up to 50 times. The American Cancer Society followed up with a similar statement. But as Brad Rodu, professor of oncology at the University of Louisville whose research is funded by the tobacco industry, pointed out in a blog post this week, the risk figure is based on a survey of individuals who had used a form of tobacco called dry snuff, which is inhaled through the nose—a product that now is little used.

Peter Shields, deputy director of the Lombardi Comprehensive Cancer Center at Georgetown University, looked at several studies on smokeless tobacco risk and concluded that smokeless tobacco raises the risk of oral cancer by three to 10 times compared with nontobacco users, rather than 50 times."

So yeah, dip causing mouth cancer is a lie. What part of 3 to 10 times the risk of oral cancer compared to nontobacco users do you believe is in dispute?
Most of the risk assessment of tobacco and oral cancer comes from studies done in the Appalachian
States from the last century. Perhaps you remember the PSA posters showing all those patients
wasting away in hospital wards from oral cancer. You might even have noticed the they appeared
to be quite similar in appearance. Gaunt,lean long un-kept beards. Well that was because they
were Appalachian Folk. Real mountain people. It was noted that there was a very high
incidence of oral cancer in certain regions of the country. After further revue it was determined
this result was probably due to the use of chewing tobacco. Hence to postulation that chewing
tobacco was the cause.

Normally this might be the case except for other mitigating causes that were never mentioned.
Most if not all of these concentrations of oral cancer were clustered in areas of the country
with the most distressed rural populations in America. Extreme poverty,lack of education and,
isolation from outside influences. No running water,no electricity,no medical care,bad diets and,
substandard hygiene. They also grew their own tobacco and made their own chew. In the process
of making most had their own recipes to cure, texture and, flavor the tobacco. Many toxic chemicals
including toluol were used along with whisky,bourbon and other favorite additives. This coupled
with a near total lack of dental care (many had never been to a dentist) resulted in conditions
anyone could foresee would not turn out well. The end result according to the powers that be
was that smokeless tobacco is just as bad as any other form. One might also note that chewing
tobacco has an anesthetic effect on bad gums and teeth.
Then there's this. Oral and Oropharyngeal Cancer: Risk Factors and Prevention | Cancer.Net

Regards
Mike

Fuzzy Thunderbear

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 7, 2015
NOWHERE, SD, USA
All of these foods contain natural nicotine:

Tomatoes
Potatoes
Eggplant
Peppers/Capsicums
Cauliflower
Green Tea
Black Tea

And the things made from them... so if you go into a fast food place and get french fries with ketchup on them, you get double the dose. Ummm... have you died from mouth cancer by eating any of this stuff yet? :eek:

Last edited:

TVC70

ECF Veteran
Oct 4, 2011
AZ, USA
No, nicotine does not cause cancer. It is other materials in smokeless tobacco that are carcinogenic.

That's what I'm currently leaning toward, myself. I asked my question above because the op seemed to be under the impression that it was the nicotine in tobacco rather than other parts of the tobacco itself or additives in the tobacco that was causing oral cancer. Like I said, I know nothing about smokeless tobacco, but I'm thinking that surely not all of the many thousands of chemicals and hundreds of specifically carcinogenic ones contained in or added to tobacco necessarily need to be burnt in order to be toxic. Afaik, there's been zero conclusive evidence of nicotine itself being a carcinogen, but I just wanted to make sure I hadn't missed something.

choochoogranny

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 21, 2013
chattanooga, tn, usa
so I have been looking back on older posts, and reading a lot of forums. Most people say nicotine doesn't cause cancer, but if that is the case, then why do people that dip get mouth cancer? Just curious .

You might want to google the 20 yr. study results on Snus. Of course, Snus are not dip. :) I've not used either, but did smoke for 53 yrs. No health complications from smoking that length of time.......but will probably die in my late 80's like my grandparents who smoked. :facepalm:

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I think this needs to be said....if not then I am sure a mod will let me know.

I have gone back through all the threads you have started and have come to the conclusion that your goal for this forum is to stir the pot. You have been here long enough to know that nicotine is the most benign ingredient in smokes and ALL smokeless products. If you really and truly haven't accepted or can't accept that fact yet then I can only assume that you will never accept it.

I have also come to the conclusion that you WANT to find something deadly with vaping. You constantly dig up things that have been talked to death but it seems to me that you just read the headlines and never the rebuttal. You come in and start a thread such as this and I wonder if you ever even come back to read the answers to your questions. If that is the case then I have just wasted my time :facepalm:

If I am way off base and it is just in your nature to worry yourself to death then I feel sorry for you. That can't be a comfortable way to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread