Nicotine helps with depression?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kookycole

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2012
Newark, OH
As a teenager I was diagnosed with clinical depression, and started smoking around the same time. Over the years I quit smoking twice, both times because I was pregnant. However, I went back to smoking when I felt depressed or stressed out. When I read this study about nicotine and it's possible benefits for people with depression, I found it very interesting. I've been using the ecig exclusively for a month now, with no issues. I'm grateful to have found a safer alternative to cigarettes, because I don't think I would have ever permanently quit without it. Does anyone else feel like they use nicotine to self-medicate?

Article about nicotine and depression:
Duke study: nicotine may reduce depression | The Chronicle

yepimonfire

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
it sure helps with ADHD. every time i "successfully" quite my adhd got 100x worse, which left me heading back to the cigs in an attempt to keep my life from spiraling out of control from it.

i don't know it nicotine itself helps with depression, but i can attest to smoking itself helping.

kookycole

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 22, 2012
Newark, OH
I've read the same kinds of articles, they say that the harm outweighs the benefits (and with analog cigarettes, it probably does). Now we have safer alternatives like snus and ecigs, so maybe their "you should quit" recommendations should change. They are looking into developing "nicotine-like drugs". I think that when they mess with things they often end up with drugs that are less effective and have bad side-effects. Their major problem with nicotine seems to be it's addictive property, but if it is a medication that you will be taking anyway, what difference does it make if you are addicted? Coming from someone who has a hard time remembering to take medication, I can say that I never forget to take my nicotine.

kingcobra

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 17, 2011
Canada
With smoking, the harm may indeed outweigh the benefits, but with vaping nicotine that's a different story. There are many harmful components of smoking and nicotine is a lightweight. Smoking does deliver MAOIs, and people tend to get depressed when quitting and just assume it's the lack of the MAOI's that cause it. I believe though that a lot of this depression is a side effect of the withdrawal process in general though, although I did find that St Johns Wort did help, and nicotine from vaping didn't help that much. What has helped the most though for me is WTA, and once I tried that this solved the problem for me. So the anti depressant effects may indeed come more from these minor alkaloids than anything else.

Faylool

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 7, 2012
Sweet Home, Oregon USA
Oh yes! I gained 30 pounds just from quitting chewing Nicorette but I didn't use vape at the time. This time I quit chewin Nicorette I used vape. My weight has gone up but back down be Ause it's easier to control the over eating urge by stopping and having a vape like with cigs but still I think most people tend to gain. Other people loose because they feel better and start doing things they loved more that takes physical fitness. So if you love to cook and eat you'll probably gain. I try to watch it and don't always win but I always loose it easily too so...it's not worth smoking over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread