Negatine effects of Nicotine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaston

ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2008
Texas, USA
I am compiling a list of all of the negative effects of nicotine because I have seen many e-cigs advertising as "healthy" and "no negative side effects". There are many effects of nicotine on the body, but the information I find is either very scientific or related to nicotine from smoking.

I am requesting members to add concise items to the list, not links please. It has been my experience thus far that there are many links to studies, but I like to see just the highlights, so please help me out and add what you know and I will insert them as a list here.

Quotes from a scientific study
  • nicotine itself seems to be relatively safe
  • habitual medicinal nicotine use might expose the user to a lifetime mortal risk of only 1 in 10,000 (very low compared to smoking)
  • delivering nicotine without other smoke constituents should significantly reduce harms to current smokers
  • nicotine probably accounts for much less than a third of smokers’ risk
  • On average, eight nicotine users may be healthier than one smoker and seven non-smokers
  • The benefits of a clean nicotine inhaler that displaces cigarettes might be larger than this analysis predicts
  • consumers should know of nicotine’s potential immunosuppressive
    effects
  • high probability that nicotine permanently affects fetal brain development
  • Nicotine might impair quality of life or productivity by altering growth and function of the nervous system, with consequences potentially including depression, anxiety or addiction
  • Although a number of animal studies suggest negative health consequences for nicotine consumption, others seem to exonerate nicotine as a major cause of cardiopulmonary and other diseases.

Last edited:

Kaston

ECF Veteran
Dec 14, 2008
Texas, USA
Hmm, so for not helping me much. I have read through the links, but have not found what I am seeking.

I get so many people asking me about my e-cig and if there are any negative side effects. All I can answer them is that it removes the cancer risk from smoking. I would like to be able to list off any long term effects such as high blood pressure, increased risk of heart attack, ect. Those were made-up examples, but that is what I am looking for. Thanks!

keys

ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2008
US
www.amazon.com
Nicotine is made into a bogeyman because of its affiliation to tobbaco. The pharma companies love that it is viewed as some sort of dangerous drug so that they can make millions of dollars off of us, the gullible public, with their ridiculous nic replacement therapies. All of the money and labs that they have at their disposal and look at the absolute crap that they have come up with to date. It took some small manufacturers to see the obvious and invent a safe nicotine delivery system - the ecig.

While nic is more addictive than caffeine . . . so what? As long as you don't get cancer.

It is a mild stimulant like caffeine. That's it. If your doctor wants you to limit caffeine, then that advice, I think, would be appropriate for nicotine. Otherwise, treat it like you would caffeine. If it makes you jittery, you've had too much. It's not rocket science. Just stay away from smoking real cigs if you can. Really, we don't have these discussions about coffee, do we?

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
But nicotine supplements like gum and patches have been around a long time. Plus I am sure some one had done studies using only nicotine without the cigarette part =)

Nicotine replacement therapy is supposed to be temporary, not long term, so I don't think there has been much testing for that.

You might be able to find long term studies of users of snus or snuff but they are based on tobacco so I don't know if that would give reliable results for nicotine.

If you find any long term nicotine studies, please let us know.

keys

ECF Veteran
Oct 22, 2008
US
www.amazon.com
There might be some research out there. I don't know. My guess is that nicotine has never been subject to the full financial weight of a major population peer-reviewed study, because it's probably always been tested as a component of tobacco -- which is the real problem. My guess is that is that the only reason it is viewed so harshly is because it keeps people smoking the analogs and in the final analysis it is comparable to caffeine when taken on its own terms. And, of course, it is as addictive as hell.

It they don't ban e-cigs, we'll all find out! I'm not particularly worried.

Frankie

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2008
Slovakia
Hmm, so for not helping me much. I have read through the links, but have not found what I am seeking.

I get so many people asking me about my e-cig and if there are any negative side effects. All I can answer them is that it removes the cancer risk from smoking. I would like to be able to list off any long term effects such as high blood pressure, increased risk of heart attack, ect. Those were made-up examples, but that is what I am looking for. Thanks!
Kaston, I have been on medication because of severe BP problems for several years before starting vaping and quitting the smoke. The nicotine/heart thread is mine. No significant negative BP found, just the opposite: my pulse went down from dangerous to just higher than normal. No changes in medication levels needed at all. That was after 3 weeks of non-smoking nicotine intake. I surely will post the results of my next check, which is due in the Spring. I am scheduled to have heart sonography (echo) test in January too, but that cannot be compared to my smoking days because it is my first. Hope this helps to clarity things a bit.

What I can definitely say is this: Ten days´ worth of salty restaurant meals on holiday messed my BP much worse than three weeks of vaping. I am talking about +20 to 25 on both diastolic and systolic after the holiday and no real change (occasionally +10 systolic, but always lower than 140) with the vaping.

In other words: If you are an ill non-smoker, vaping will probably hurt you a lot. If you are an ill smoker and replace smoking with vaping, you will probably do your health a great favour.

Oh yes and the doctor´s advice was to go cold turkey to repent and suffer for my sin of smoking that eventually brough me to the hospital. :( I wonder whether the system will censor me if I say "bloody Commie ......."...

Frankie

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2008
Slovakia
I have various e-juice strenghts, but I dilute all of them (even those in prefilled carts - squeeze out, dilute, put back...) to approximately 7-9mg/ml. And I vape about 1,5 ml a day. I sort of only use as much as to be comfortable, trying not to overdo things for the case that I am forced to go off nicotine in the future. I do not experience much "nic highs". On the other hand I must say I found much pleasure after all - very different to what I expected.

I did feel very uncomfortable with 24mg carts.

Last edited:

Kate

Moved On
Jun 26, 2008
UK
You're getting around 12mg of nicotine per day then, that's less than a lot of us, a pretty low dose really.

Apparently a low dose can have benefits to do with ADHD, schizophrenia, Parkinsons disease, Tourettes syndrome and some others. There are some scientific studies around to back this up.

Most of us take more than 15mg per day of nicotine though so the poison could be in the dose.

Frankie

ECF Veteran
Nov 13, 2008
Slovakia
Yes. I also sometimes cheat vaping homemade 0-nic liquid when I think I might get off with that :)
Funny thing is I have almost no cravings even with that wimpy dose. Before I quit, I fought for several years to keep to 10 cigs a day - doctors scared me to death with the cardiovascular issues - and it was teeth-gritting very often. When I had any usable excuse, I immediately went back to around 20. So for some people the low dose might be sufficient to keep them off the smoke.

But I still think you would have to vape a lot more nic than in analogs to actually worsen your health. Smoke is the big culprit with the heart and blood vessels, not just lungs. Getting off the smoke and keeping the nic provides them with relief.

I read what TB wrote about clots and cholesterol - would be interesting to see what are the chol. results for other forum members. I will only have mine in the spring. One blood test series yearly was prescribed only... But it was fine in the autumn, so any dramatic change for the worse will be significant.

EDIT: There are many people in the forum. Let´s have a look what nicotine does to their cardiovascular system: http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/fo...470-blood-pressure-when-vaping.html#post70113

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread