No clue where to start. Many questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

coconut1

Sep 7, 2014
Sanborn, NY
Vapers,

This is my first post. Before I ask my question, just let me tell you how thankful I am that a community like this exists. I am completely and utterly lost as to where I should begin my journey into vaping.

Some background for me. I'm Dan. I'm a guy who often enjoys smoking premium cigars and pipes. I'm not addicted, nor am I here to "phase out" my smoking rituals; I'm here to find another form of relaxation and enjoyment that I can use as an alternative if I don't feel like having a cigar or a bowl from one of my pipes. I also really like the idea of being able to vape indoors or public areas, and not have a smokey smell around me afterwards.

Onto my dilemma..
Trying to enter into the vaping world is like trying to find my way through a maze with over 1000 entrance points- In other words, I'm simply overwhelmed by the amount of options available.

I have looked into the vape terms and everything seems to differ from one website to the next. E-cig? Vape pen? e-hookah? vape mod? It's all so confusing.

I was originally mostly interested in the cigarette-looking e-cigarettes like Blu e-cigs, V2 Cigs or VaporFi, but I also heard that those are simply not as satisfying as the more modern-looking vape pen (if that's the right term). I massively prefer the appearance and design of these types of e-cigs, but the apparent performance of vape pens much overshadows them.
Now, I have no idea where to even begin searching for a starter kit for an e-cig/vape pen/vaping-device-with-non-specific-term. I've heard of eGo, atomizers, clearomizers, cartomizers, etc. and I'm just lost.

What I'm after is a reliable vaping device that I can use multiple flavors with (not at once, mind you).
If I were to get a device from one brand, can I only use e-liquids from that brand, or are e-liquids universal? I was looking at the NETty awards forum and I found myself highly interested in trying the e-liquids mentioned, but do I need to have a certain model to use them?

What are the maintenance procedures for vape pens and e-cigs?

Thanks a lot,
Dan
:)

The easiest start is just a simple mid-size vape pen, which will be a battery and a tank. Almost any "starter kit" will have this setup. Just stick to the big circular devices because that standard will make your device compatible with the most options. It is called 510 threaded.
from this start you can customize later by trying out different tank styles and different batteries,

If you want something better and slightly more advanced an electronic APV would be great, note that a battery like this could also be an upgrade for the mid-size start. A good popular example of this would be the iTaste MVP, there a lot of really good options at this level so you might want to do some research and maybe ask more specific questions if this is what you want.

I hope this helped.

TCombinator

Sep 1, 2014
Boston, USA
I'm going to give a controversial advice. Get something that you like visually and inexpensive. My logic was that $40 was a decent budget considering price of cigarettes where I live. No matter what you get you'll want something else soon. Give it a shot and go from there. As long as you can recharge and refill you're fine. E-smart starter kits can be found for $25. That leaves plenty for liquid. Just an example. 510 threading is a good idea; you'll be able to try cartomizers for cheap.

coconut1

Sep 7, 2014
Sanborn, NY
I'm going to give a controversial advice. Get something that you like visually and inexpensive. My logic was that $40 was a decent budget considering price of cigarettes where I live. No matter what you get you'll want something else soon. Give it a shot and go from there. As long as you can recharge and refill you're fine. E-smart starter kits can be found for $25. That leaves plenty for liquid. Just an example. 510 threading is a good idea; you'll be able to try cartomizers for cheap.

You know, that kind of hit the nail on the head.

coconut1

Sep 7, 2014
Sanborn, NY
Update time!

My friend highly recommended me to look into getting an e-cig that uses "dripping" rather than tanks. He said the flavor difference is night and day. I'm not sure if I'm willing to make that kind of investment into this if I end up not liking vaping. Not to mention he told me I'd need to be making my own coils, which, I'm simply not willing to do. I'm willing to spend a decent amount (in my vision) to get a good e-cig, but not like $200 worth. He said the iTaste MVP was a bad idea, but I'm not sure if I can plainly believe that. What do you all think? Would it be worth my time to get an iTaste MVP kit? What about a Kranger Blister Starter Kit?

Thanks again,
Dan

twgbonehead

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 28, 2011
MA, USA
To answer one of your original questions: You can use any e-liquid with any e-cigarette. It's all mix+match.

I don't know what your friend has against the MVP. If you like the box style, it's price, features, and performance can't be beat. ($40 at several places such as 101vape). The MVP comes with a head (usually an iClear30) but that's not a particularly good one IMHO. EVOD heads aren't bad to start with; replaceable coil (you don't need to build one, you can buy it). If you are willing to spend a bit more, perhaps a Kanger Aerotank.

If you want a cylindrical one, look at either a simple ego, or a variable-voltage one (ether a Joye Spinner or Ego Twist).

Edit: If you're not in a hurry, these are a good starter. They won't last that long, but can let you know whether you like vaping enough to pursue it or not:
http://www.fasttech.com/products/14...o-h2-1300mah-rechargeable-e-cigarette-starter $8.62
Extra GS-H2 heads
http://www.fasttech.com/products/0/10005576/1437008-gs-h2-e-cigarette-round-mouth-atomizer-1-5ml $1.71
Replacement Coils:
http://www.fasttech.com/products/14...oil-heads-for-gs-h5-gs-h2-clearomizer-10-pack $6.24

The Kanger Blister-Pack isn't a bad choice either.

Last edited:

smgrundy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 24, 2013
Las Vegas, NV, USA
www.vaporality.com

I don't think that's controversial in the slightest, I think that's on the money. When you are just beginning, the worst thing you can do is go out and buy a $300 setup only to realize that it's not what you wanted nor needed. When you're just starting out, you are experimenting so getting something that costs less will give you the opportunity to get something else if the first choice wasn't a home run.

If it's safe and it keeps you off of the icky sticks, nothing else matters...

HecticEnergy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
TX, USA
Ok - I think this may get a bit long, but I will try to be breif, but clear :)
To keep me from saying "IMO" all over the place, this is MY Opinion. One of MANY on here :)

On a scale from 1 - 10 cigalikes are a 1 (I only have experience with blu, but I hear good things about the Vision AIO - but its spendy comparatively)
Egos (pen styles) are a good place for most people to start. They use clearomizers which range from 0 - 8: I've used the ProTank2, EVOD (not glass), ProTank3, and Nautilus Mini BVC - Evod is probably around a 4, PT2&3 are probably around a 5, Nautilus mini is around an 8.
APV (advanced Personal Vaporizer) uses tanks like the egos, or RBAs (rebuildable atomizers like your friend suggested). The draw here is you get higher output with longer batterylife. Like many here the MVP2.0 is a great device for many. It wouldn't be good for me because I'm into rebuildables and such, and it doesn't provide the range that I like to build at - bit I'm not going to get into that at the moment. For a beginner it is a great device with a ton of features and an excellent price.

Egos: Everyone will tell you to get 2 - these things break, and with most egos you cannot vape while they charge so you are left with out it while it charges. Some egos allow for "passthrough charging" so you can vape and charge - but if it breaks you are left with out it. The Kanger Blister pack would probably be a good buy, and I think they are about $20 each (from memory, not sure if thats actual - correct me if I'm wrong!) To get the best experience you want something with Variable Voltage (VV) or Variable Wattage (VW). Egos are a great way for people who want to kick the habit to do so with satisfaction. I know thats not you, but just saying they are decent.
People that upgrade from Ego to MVP2 say it is night and day. I remember when I got my first APV, I was blown away by its performance, even though I was using the same tanks I had on my egos. I would suggest to start here with an MVP2 ($43 shipped from 101vape.com) with a nautilus mini BVC or full size nautilus with the BVC heads (full size comes with BDC (bottom dual coil) which arent quite as good).

personally I get alot of satisfaction from my rebuildable units. but there is a learning curve there and personally I dont recommend it to anyone who is just starting out. I think it is better to figure out your vape on like an MVP with a tank first, then get a rebuildable atty to see if its for you. Its a lot less risk that way.

check out IndoorSmokers on youtube, he reviews alot of cigalikes, and even did some cigar-alike reviews.

I heard NY banned ecig use inside and in public outdoor areas.. was that just NYC?

hope this helps!

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
To answer one of your original questions: You can use any e-liquid with any e-cigarette. It's all mix+match.

I don't know what your friend has against the MVP. If you like the box style, it's price, features, and performance can't be beat. ($40 at several places such as 101vape). The MVP comes with a head (usually an iClear30) but that's not a particularly good one IMHO. EVOD heads aren't bad to start with; replaceable coil (you don't need to build one, you can buy it). If you are willing to spend a bit more, perhaps a Kanger Aerotank.

If you want a cylindrical one, look at either a simple ego, or a variable-voltage one (ether a Joye Spinner or Ego Twist).

Edit: If you're not in a hurry, these are a good starter. They won't last that long, but can let you know whether you like vaping enough to pursue it or not:
$8.62 eGo-H2 1300mAh Rechargeable E-Cigarette Starter Kit - red / 2.4ohm / 2.0mL / USB charging cable at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping $8.62
Extra GS-H2 heads
$1.71 GS-H2 E-Cigarette Round Mouth Atomizer (1.5mL) - translucent / 2.4ohm at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping $1.71
Replacement Coils:
$6.24 Coil Heads for GS-H5 / GS-H2 Clearomizer (10-Pack) 10-pack - 2.4ohm at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping $6.24

The Kanger Blister-Pack isn't a bad choice either.

Excellent post !

Davey59

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 29, 2014
Monroe WA
With basic 510 setup you can try dripping for $4. These can last more than month: 306 Low Resistance Atomizer + Drip Tip - ecigExpress

Get ready for monster vapor with this 306 LR atomizer/drip tip combo.

Looks like fun! Years ago we used to drip our JoyeTech 510's like that but used to pay something like 11 bucks a piece for an atomizer. Never thought about stuffing one of those into something else like drip tip. But monster vapor? or is that in the Brit sense.

coconut1

Sep 7, 2014
Sanborn, NY
If it's safe and it keeps you off of the icky sticks, nothing else matters...

Well, I'm not "on" the icky sticks, really, unless the occasional cigar counts. I just like tobacco and I think I'd like vaping as well :)

As for the box style of the MVP, I like it but I also dislike it. It's unique, which is something I strive for, but it's also unique, which deters me. Contradictory, I know.

HecticEnergy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
TX, USA
Honestly there are a ton of options. Maybe start with an mvp if you are comfortable with the size, or an ego if you are not.
After you get comfortable with that then look at getting a pipe mod. They are usually mechanical devices, which means it's on you to use it safely. Apvs have safety built in to keep you safe, and to make it less likely of having the device explode on you. After you learn the basics with that setup. Post on here that you want to get your first mech and you will be flooded with information on how to use it safely =)

HecticEnergy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
TX, USA
Generally, yes, but it's your life to live!
The long term risks are unknown at this point, and there are some concerns in the sort term with what the flavors break down to when vaporized. Most agree that there is no way it's as bad as smoking... Most because some people have ulterior motives :)
The term harm reduction is thrown around a lot.

Are you going to be vaping all the time? If you aren't increasing your use over how you smoked a cigar, tell them it's a healthier alternative to your tobacco use... A safer way for you to enjoy the effects of nicotine, without all the carcinogens and smelly ness that accompanies tobacco use.

coconut1

Sep 7, 2014
Sanborn, NY
G
Are you going to be vaping all the time? If you aren't increasing your use over how you smoked a cigar, tell them it's a healthier alternative to your tobacco use... A safer way for you to enjoy the effects of nicotine, without all the carcinogens and smelly ness that accompanies tobacco use.

No, I definitely don't see myself doing it all the time. I'd probably just take a hit every so often if I please. I'm shooting for nicotine-free or light nicotine content, as that's near what I'm used to, since cigars don't have much absorb-able nicotine, and I haven't had a nicotine-heavy pipe tobacco yet. What I'm really interested in is the ability to do it indoors without infecting things with smoke scent and what not. Plus, with the supposed Polar Vortex Winter I'm supposed to be getting up here in NY in the coming months, outdoor smoking won't be very.. accessable, or really enjoyable as it would be during the warmer months.
What I do really like is the flavor variability. It seems endless, and that's massively appealing to me. That's the reason I started pipe smoking even, due to the immense amount of different blends out there. I like variety.

HecticEnergy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
TX, USA
No, I definitely don't see myself doing it all the time. I'd probably just take a hit every so often if I please. I'm shooting for nicotine-free or light nicotine content, as that's near what I'm used to, since cigars don't have much absorb-able nicotine, and I haven't had a nicotine-heavy pipe tobacco yet. What I'm really interested in is the ability to do it indoors without infecting things with smoke scent and what not. Plus, with the supposed Polar Vortex Winter I'm supposed to be getting up here in NY in the coming months, outdoor smoking won't be very.. accessable, or really enjoyable as it would be during the warmer months.
What I do really like is the flavor variability. It seems endless, and that's massively appealing to me. That's the reason I started pipe smoking even, due to the immense amount of different blends out there. I like variety.

Sounds like a good answer for your loved ones :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread