Hi there! New needing advice maybe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mai99

Jun 5, 2021
Hi there!
I just joined today. I stopped smoking 3 days ago, with a standard e pen which wasn't very expensive. I've tried to upload a photo from my computer webcam but it's not very clear. But you get the picture, a cheap vape pen, with cheap e liquids, I would say the brand but I'm not sure if that's allowed.

Point being, I stopped smoking with 16mg liquid and this pen, going from 10-20 cigs a day for three years. I hardly crave a cig at all, it's easy to stop. Question being, would a better vape that's modded be more beneficial to me. What are the benefits of these thicker vapes?

Also are more expensive liquids less harmful, much like cigarettes?

Thanks for clicking, happy vaping lol!
-Georgia

Attachments

• WIN_20210605_10_49_49_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20210605_10_49_49_Pro.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 106

Falconeer

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2015
Dunoon, West of Scotland.
Welcome aboard. 6 years ago I stopped smoking and took up vaping with a set up something similar to what you have. Back then I switched to what was the "flavour of the month" namely an iStick30 with a Nautilus Mini tank - a set up which I still use quite a lot.

If you are looking for a tank where you change the coils when they die then Innokin's Zeniths and Zlides are both good and popular and come often in kits with a mod ( the battery)

If you want to stick with something small and easy to use maybe it'd be worth your while to check out the Section on Vape Pods - Innokin do good ones too.

Welcome again and I'm sure plenty other members will be along soon with more advice.

Last edited:

Superuser187

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 10, 2020
Athens
If the vape device u got now it's enough for you and keep you off cigs then why not continue using it for now since you are very new to vaping...

If u decide to buy another vape device just make sure it's one with disposable coils and that u can add any juice u want to it...like the one suggested by falconeer...

The thicker vape devices as you say :p have bigger batteries and may have more options in coils that u can use to make it produce more vapor if that's what u want...

They may cost more but they worth it and defenetly end up cheaper that cigarettes...

The juices are all the same as long as they are not any wierd sketchy brand that nobody knows cause u cant be sure what they put inside even tho ok I haven't heard anything bad about cheaper juice in terms of health concerns...

Enjoy :)

Hawise

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 25, 2013
AB, Canada
Welcome to ECF and the world of vaping! Sounds like you're doing great so far.

Your device is rather dated, which isn't a problem in itself if it's working for you. Many of us older members also quit cigarettes with something similar. However, there may be a downside. If I recall correctly, that style of device had a higher risk of producing some substances we'd rather not inhale. Don't be scared off - it's still much, much less harmful than cigarettes, but a more modern device might be safer still.

If you'd like to look at your options for replacement, I'll start by explaining that there are currently three styles of vaping:
  • Pod mods - tiny devices, low airflow, use a tiny bit of juice per puff so the juice tends to have very high levels of nicotine
  • MTL (mouth-to-lung) - middle of the road option - moderate airflow, moderate juice usage, moderate nicotine levels
  • DL (direct lung) - the heavy hitter - high airflow, goes through a lot of juice per puff so nicotine levels are lower
As you like what you've got, I'd recommend MTL-style vaping for you. It's the most similar. And for MTL vaping, you'll need a tank and a mod (they often come together as a set). Concerning the mod, the first question is whether you want an internal battery mod or a replaceable battery mod.

Internal battery - The battery is part of the mod. They're charged by USB, and you just plug it in to charge. They're usually a bit cheaper at the outset and you don't need to buy an external charger. The downside is that when the mod dies you have to replace the whole thing. Additionally, the USB port tends to be a weak point, and if it goes the whole thing is toast.

Replaceable battery - There's a battery you can take out of the mod to recharge (you can also recharge it in the mod, but that's not recommend as a regular practice). You need to buy more things at the start - the mod, two or four batteries, an external charger - but when the battery or the mod dies you only need to replace whatever perished and not the whole thing, so it can be less expensive in the long run. You don't use the USB port as much (or at all), so you're not dependent on its lifespan. Note that if you do take this option, please ask us for advice on batteries. There are a number of factors that go in to selecting an appropriate battery, but vape shop employees don't tend to be well-informed. ECF, on the other hand, will be happy to point you to the right battery and the right place to buy it from.

As far as tanks go, I'd strongly recommend one of these two:
  • Innokin Zenith or Zlide
  • Aspire Nautilus - There are several versions, but you might want to start with the Nautilus 2
If you want to take a look at these, and some kits that are offered, check out the links here:
I've linked to the manufacturers' sites, but you can usually find things at better prices elsewhere.

In any case, good luck and congratulations on switching to vaping!

Z-Lee

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
  • Apr 17, 2021
    Upper Midwest
    Welcome to ECF and the world of vaping! Sounds like you're doing great so far.

Your device is rather dated, which isn't a problem in itself if it's working for you. Many of us older members also quit cigarettes with something similar. However, there may be a downside. If I recall correctly, that style of device had a higher risk of producing some substances we'd rather not inhale. Don't be scared off - it's still much, much less harmful than cigarettes, but a more modern device might be safer still.

If you'd like to look at your options for replacement, I'll start by explaining that there are currently three styles of vaping:
    • Pod mods - tiny devices, low airflow, use a tiny bit of juice per puff so the juice tends to have very high levels of nicotine
    • MTL (mouth-to-lung) - middle of the road option - moderate airflow, moderate juice usage, moderate nicotine levels
    • DL (direct lung) - the heavy hitter - high airflow, goes through a lot of juice per puff so nicotine levels are lower
    As you like what you've got, I'd recommend MTL-style vaping for you. It's the most similar. And for MTL vaping, you'll need a tank and a mod (they often come together as a set). Concerning the mod, the first question is whether you want an internal battery mod or a replaceable battery mod.

Internal battery - The battery is part of the mod. They're charged by USB, and you just plug it in to charge. They're usually a bit cheaper at the outset and you don't need to buy an external charger. The downside is that when the mod dies you have to replace the whole thing. Additionally, the USB port tends to be a weak point, and if it goes the whole thing is toast.

Replaceable battery - There's a battery you can take out of the mod to recharge (you can also recharge it in the mod, but that's not recommend as a regular practice). You need to buy more things at the start - the mod, two or four batteries, an external charger - but when the battery or the mod dies you only need to replace whatever perished and not the whole thing, so it can be less expensive in the long run. You don't use the USB port as much (or at all), so you're not dependent on its lifespan. Note that if you do take this option, please ask us for advice on batteries. There are a number of factors that go in to selecting an appropriate battery, but vape shop employees don't tend to be well-informed. ECF, on the other hand, will be happy to point you to the right battery and the right place to buy it from.

As far as tanks go, I'd strongly recommend one of these two:
    • Innokin Zenith or Zlide
    • Aspire Nautilus - There are several versions, but you might want to start with the Nautilus 2
    If you want to take a look at these, and some kits that are offered, check out the links here:
    I've linked to the manufacturers' sites, but you can usually find things at better prices elsewhere.

In any case, good luck and congratulations on switching to vaping!
    Layin' it down, nice.

Welcome Georgia and congrats on quitting!
    I hope ange doesn't hate me for continually tagging her, lol. @AngeNZ is also quite knowledgeable about pod mods which is a decent place to start for beginners. Gives you the basic idea of how replaceable coils work, general mod functioning w/out being overly difficult, filling juice, etc. Pod mods work as a single unit, like a vape pen, but a little bit more power and juice capacity. They often are fairly proprietary however, so you'll have to decide if you want to start with a pod mod, or go into a smaller regular mod with a 510 connector that pretty much opens you up to the entire industry of vaping. They are however, often bigger (not always a ton bigger) and heavier/more bulky. You should try and figure out some of these characteristics that are important to you, and jot them down maybe. If you can give us an idea of what you're after, that would give us a decent direction to start you on.

Glad you made the switch! Hope to see you around in the forums. Feel free to ask whatever you want, however dumb you may feel the question is. There are plenty of people here that will help.

P.S. You can say brands and such here, no worries.
    GeekVape, Innokin, YiHi, Asmodus, Dovpo, Aspire, OXVA, Sigelei, VooPoo, Vandy Vape...

Wait, did I just-
    upload_2021-6-5_13-25-16.png

J/k, you're fine. :w00t:

YoursTruli

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 27, 2012
    Ohio
    Welcome! If this is working for you to stop smoking and stay cigarette free I would stick with it :) Bigger more expensive doesn't mean better or best for you. What ever works to keep you smoke free is what's best.
    There are a lot of systems out there each with their own advantages and disadvantages, trying to figure out what else might work for you since you just started could become an expensive trip down the rabbit hole. If you have a vape shop local to you go take a look around to see what's out there and learn more before buying anything different.

AngeNZ

ShutterBug
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Contest Winner!
  • Mar 24, 2018
    New Zealand
    Welcome to ECF.

And congrats on getting through your first 3 days :thumbs:
    Along with the devices suggested by @Hawise also have a look at the Innokin Kroma Z podmod kit. It combines a tank and a mod into one device.

It still uses the Innokin Z-coils, which I've found have great flavour and are reliable.

Opinionated

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    Hi there!
    I just joined today. I stopped smoking 3 days ago, with a standard e pen which wasn't very expensive. I've tried to upload a photo from my computer webcam but it's not very clear. But you get the picture, a cheap vape pen, with cheap e liquids, I would say the brand but I'm not sure if that's allowed.

Point being, I stopped smoking with 16mg liquid and this pen, going from 10-20 cigs a day for three years. I hardly crave a cig at all, it's easy to stop. Question being, would a better vape that's modded be more beneficial to me. What are the benefits of these thicker vapes?

-Georgia

I stopped smoking with the help of e-cigarettes 7 years ago tomorrow, I'm so glad this one is working for you!

yes it's perfectly alright to give others full information on what brand e-cig your using etc. We do it all the time here.

I stopped smoking on an Ego pen with a ce4 , upgrading everything about 2 years later.

here's the thing, moving up to advanced gear gives you an amazing vaping experience, far better flavor, better battery life etc. Night and day truly (I could have sworn I heard angels sing the first time I used a nautilus mini on a provari) but here's the deal; If what you have works for you, and your happy with it, and your off the smokes, what you don't know won't hurt you. You don't have to upgrade, and if money is an issue you shouldn't, not if what you have works. I used a cheap ego pen for 2 years happily enough - so it's up to you whether you upgrade.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Hi there!

-Georgia

What you have there is what is called an eGo battery with a Ce4 or CE5 or similar tank on top (we used to call those clearomisers). Very old in the vape world, but some people still use them.

I say if it works for you for now, just roll with that. In the mean time, start learning about newer systems. If you like something small, a pod system would work well for you. A larger system won't necessarily be of any benefit to you if you really don;t want a larger setup to begin with. There are plenty of smaller systems today that would suit you fine if you're comfortable with what you have & it keeps you from smoking.

Last edited:

Javichu

Account closed on request
    ECF Veteran
    Mar 8, 2020
    Spain
    If the vape device u got now it's enough for you and keep you off cigs then why not continue using it for now since you are very new to vaping...

Gotta agree with @Superuser187
    For now just focus on being off the cigarettes for good,that should be your main priority.

Once you got that handled you can look into the various type of mods and atomizers for your vaping needs.

There is quite a selection to choose from so be patient,your head will be spinning at the vast array of options available,just remain calm and take it slowly and without any stress.

I personally started like you,small inexpensive device and used that for awhile.
    Then after a couple of months i decided to get an upgrade and since then it has been an adventure.

If the current device you are using works just keep on using it for now,plenty of time to upgrade later on once you get your smoking cravings in check.

cheers

PapawBrett

Retired
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 16, 2012
    Monroe NC
    Hello, Georgia, and welcome to the ECF. Last week I boxed up over $4000 of vaping equipment that I no longer use (most of which is no longer made) so I am not going to promote this mod or that style of device. If what you are using is keeping you off of tobacco, then keep using it.
    Instead of discussing equipment, I would suggest that you look for flavors and E-Liquid that you truly enjoy to vape. The more satisfaction you get from vaping, the less likely you are to return to smoking.
    Your taste buds will begin to improve over the next several weeks and months. You might gain a few pounds as you actually begin to taste food again. But a couple of pounds is still healthier than lung cancer.
    There are years of experience and advice in the ECF. Even now you can scan the forums and read threads, soon enough you can join in the conversations once you reach a certain post count. But you can read as much as you want now, and it doesn't hurt to learn as much as you can about this new activity you are undertaking.
    Good Luck on your vaping journey.

Bliss Doubt

ECF Veteran
    Dec 10, 2012
    San Antonio
    Welcome mai99. If what you're using is keeping you off cigarettes for the moment, I suggest finding an in-depth YouTube vape review channel, like TiaReviews or PBusardo, IndoorSmokers, and there are many others. When I was learning to vape, still with dual use, both vaping and smoking, I watched review vids obsessively. The really dedicated reviewers have such vast archives still available on their channels, you can discover lots of products. The reviewers go into how things work, how flavors taste, options available, etc. etc. I found it fun and interesting when I needed guidance.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread