Noob guide to Direct Dripping

Status
Not open for further replies.

anim8r

ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2009
DC
A lot of people "dip", as opposed to "drip", with this type of atty. Instead of dripping liquid onto the atty, they dip the bridge of the atty into the liquid (held in something like a contact lens case). Have you ever tried that? If so, how does it compare?

I have found it far FAR messier to dip instead of drip these guys. I gave it a whirl for a while at the keyboard once... never again :D

val

Dec 19, 2009
TX
:D Can a picture gallery be added with pics of different models with exposed atties only?
I would like to know what other product number/manufacturer have them. They might help to decide which to buy, most sites show the complete cig!

TIA

Here you go. I think I addressed all of your questions. Let me know if I missed something.

eliteatty.jpg

As you can see, the bridge is fully exposed (so there's no mystery as to where the liquid is going--unlike a 510 for example). It's the same bridge type that's on the that's on a 722 or 401 (tho the 401 is not interchangeable with the Elite or 722)

It's getting some buildup around the base (this is the day before cleaning ;))

LukeNM

ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
CARTOMIZERS:

"The thin metal that cartomizers are made of heats up very quickly, and can get uncomfortably warm on your lips. You can cut a large hole in the bottom of one of the rubber end-caps (or "condoms") that the cartos come packaged in, and put it on the end to protect your lips from the heat. If you find that liquid gets in your mouth, or the vapor is too warm, you can take the rubber grip off of an ink pen and use that as a mouthpiece. The extra distance should solve (the majority of) both problems."

You can also use the rubberized tip from an 801 cartridge (pull off the white plastic reservoir) and slip it over the outside (not inside) end of the cartomizer.

quasimod

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Joplin, MO - USA
You can also use the rubberized tip from an 801 cartridge (pull off the white plastic reservoir) and slip it over the outside (not inside) end of the cartomizer.

But that is also a whistle-tip, and you can't drip through it, correct? What I mean is that you would have to remove it each time you wanted to top off the carto?

Last edited:

lorikay13

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Dec 13, 2009
Oregon
www.smokestik.com
Yes, that is true. A 901 mouthpiece will also fit INSIDE the cartomizer perfectly. What I have been doing is filling the cart the way I usually would...20-25 drops. Leave the caps off and put on one of the rubber mouthpieces. (I did find a great rubber sleeve off an inkpen for the PT) That lasts a long time and when it starts to dry out I do take off the mouthpiece and just add a few more drops. Frankly I would rather take off the mouth piece anyway so I can see exactly what I'm doing. All I have is KR808D-1 batteries from an American supplier and even the manuals are not sealed. (However I did just buy a new XL manual from China, Heaven Gifts) and it IS sealed. So I guess I'll be switching to those.

Yes...you absolutely can kill an auto battery by dripping. I just did it :) Using an auto KR808D-1.

Question:....I keep seeing references to "lining up" the cartridges with the attys. ???I have an 801 and a 901 (and I'm NOT talking about using a cartomizer but the actual models cartridge) and I don't see where it matters how you put it all back together. What am I missing??

For dripping with an 801 or other atty that does not have an exposed bridge I love the 3cc syringe with a blunt needle. Of course then there is the hassleof cleaning IT every time but hey...whatchagonnado ? It's always something :)

quasimod

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Joplin, MO - USA
[...] Question:....I keep seeing references to "lining up" the cartridges with the attys. ??? [...] I don't see where it matters how you put it all back together. What am I missing?? [...]

I think it's supposed to keep the cartridge from getting that little melted spot they sometimes get on the long sides of the reservoir opening. Since I'm just dripping through the cart, I cut enough off of that end so I don't have to worry about it.

quasimod

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Joplin, MO - USA
I'm not sure, but it sounds like you may have let it get too hot and/or dry, or it may have some burnt juice in there. Try blowing it out, and see if you get any dark colored juice that comes out of it. If so, that may be enough to get it tasting right again. If not, drip a little plain VG or a half and half mix of plain VG/PG in it and blow it out again. I do that when I don't want to give it a full-on hot water rinse and wait for it to dry. That's your final option.

LukeNM

ECF Veteran
Nov 4, 2009
Albuquerque, NM
But that is also a whistle-tip, and you can't drip through it, correct? What I mean is that you would have to remove it each time you wanted to top off the carto?

Yes, but the whistle-tip fits well, blocks the heat from the cartomizer at 5V, and it does not have any foreign rubbery taste that I noticed with the rubber grip off of an ink pen.

quasimod

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2009
Joplin, MO - USA
I posted this in the other forum by mistake... moved it here. :oops:

[...] "BLING-CIG" DIY VIDEO[...]

Thanks for linking, that's a pretty cool video, I've never seen that one.

[...] Simple yet I think looks and feels better. [...]
DSCF0005.jpg

Cool. That's part of why I spent so much time explaining how to make a cheap cart into a cheap mouthpiece. It shows how just futzing around with this stuff a little bit can spark a good idea that makes things easier/better. If you look through the mod section, and the tips/tricks section, you will see tons of good ideas. I would advise anyone with a little spare time on their hands to go through those sections!

[...] What is the reason to keep the plastic slits.

No reason to keep them at all, that's just what's left if you only cut the bottom of the reservoir out, instead of drilling all the way through. It might add some rigidity to keep the mouthpiece tighter, but I wouldn't think it could make that much difference.

That post is geared for complete noobs, so I was trying to keep it simple and explain everything to keep down the confusion. When a mod asked me to re-write it so he could make it a sticky in the ECF Library, I changed the title and added a couple of things. I want it to be relatively complete, but I don't want to make it so involved that the noobs get lost.

LoveMeTender

Moved On
Jan 22, 2010
US
Actually after making a few more without removing the bottom section and drilling from the top, it isn't so difficult. I just taped around the mouthpiece, clamped onto it tightly, put it on a flat surface, and just used one drill bit just smaller then the width of the mouthpiece.

Now that I think about it, it might even be easier if it was connected to an atty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread