Noob vaper, any shot at cleaning pre built coils, specifically smok bm2?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaCqEeZ

Dec 4, 2016
Hi guys, new to vaping and didn't realize the level it has been taken to nowadays. I've been a smoker for quite some time and just decided to give vaping a shot. Went to a local vape shop, didn't want to spend much and walked out with the smok brit one mega. Ended up liking it a lot and have no urge to go back to my black and milds. I got my first coil gunked up in 3 days, I started researching and seeing how people were cleaning them, not realizing most are building there own coils. So i figured I would rip the thing apart but clearly it was not meant to be. Just seeing if it is even possible to clean this particular coil, the bm2. Doesn't seam to be much info on this one out there. Not sure if I should cut my losses now and get into a one where I can build my own coils or attempt at cleaning these ones. I like this one alot too which sucks.

Reactions: Cheallaigh

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
Nope, back when I was still using factory coils I tried cleaning which all ended up in miserable failure.

Just do yourself a favor get a good RTA and start building yourself. It's very easy, save tons of money and provides more options not to mention much better flavor. All it takes is a little bit of watching some howto Youtube's and practice.

Look for RTA's that have either single coil or Velocity style decks.

JaCqEeZ

Dec 4, 2016
thanks folks. Just talked to a cousin of mine who has been vaping for years, said he has a few mods and tanks I can have just need good batteries and .... to build the coils. Gonna go chill with him this week and get the low down, wish I asked him before I bought this one but oh well, this can be a backup.

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
thanks folks. Just talked to a cousin of mine who has been vaping for years, said he has a few mods and tanks I can have just need good batteries and .... to build the coils. Gonna go chill with him this week and get the low down, wish I asked him before I bought this one but oh well, this can be a backup.
In the very beginning the challenge is getting off cigs and getting comfortable with vaping. That takes a while, in my case it was months. During that time keeping things simple is good. Repacable coil heads is simple and easy. If you are going to be a life long vaper sooner or later you'll mix and rebuild. There are a lot of benefits besides saving money. It was 4 months before I started rebuilding and 9 months before I was mixing. With better guidance I'd have started those things a bit sooner.

Reactions: tckenno

JaCqEeZ

Dec 4, 2016
If you hadn't opened it up, you may have been able to clean it up a bit. Not worth the hassel. Look for another 'tank' that has an RBA option. That way you can ease into Building at your own pace..

How could I have cleaned it up? I'm going to be using this for a couple weeks until I can get together with my cousin so I'll try to clean this one once it taste like the last one. Just not sure how to go about it since I can't take it apart

BreSha6869

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 21, 2015
Toronto, Canada
I saw a YouTube video where a guy lets his dirty coils sit in rubbing alcohol over night, then another day in water, then gently rinse with hot water under the tap, then let dry another day on a heating vent. Apparently works well, but takes a few days. I have never tried it.

Learning to rebuild or stocking up on coils when on sale are the best options with building being the most cost effective by far.

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
I saw a YouTube video where a guy lets his dirty coils sit in rubbing alcohol over night, then another day in water, then gently rinse with hot water under the tap, then let dry another day on a heating vent. Apparently works well, but takes a few days. I have never tried it.

Learning to rebuild or stocking up on coils when on sale are the best options with building being the most cost effective by far.
Do NOT use rubbing alcohol, it's toxic. If one absolutely must, use high proof Vodka.

daviedog

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2013
Florida
How could I have cleaned it up? I'm going to be using this for a couple weeks until I can get together with my cousin so I'll try to clean this one once it taste like the last one. Just not sure how to go about it since I can't take it apart
Misread the "rip it apart" in your opening post. Still not worth the effort.
Think of a power head as a consumable, no more no less..

r055co

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 24, 2015
Seattle
I have run a coil under the faucet until the discoloration was gone. Worked ok in a pinch but not like a new one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cotton breaks down, especially when exposed to high heat. That's why trying to clean an reuse factory coils is an exercise in futility.

Reactions: Cheallaigh

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
Factory coils are a convenience item and they do have their place. Sometimes it's handy to have a plug & play setup like when traveling, or in a situation where it can be inconvenient to re-build / re-wick a RBA. This comes with the cost of using the expendable coils, but there can be a lot said for the convenience factor, especially nowadays where there are a lot of viable options that perform quite well all things considered.

Adding a RDA or RBA to your arsenal can go a long way to lowering cost and increasing enjoyment on several levels, including the satisfaction of doing it yourself and having control over all aspects of your vape. An added plus is that you can use the rebuildables for cost effectiveness and longevity, as they are easy to re-wick, and saving some wear and tear on your disposable factory coil setups
(convenience vapes). It doesn't have to be all in or nothing, as you go down your particular path on your vape journey, find what you like and keep it, while trying other things to see if there are other avenues to achieve satisfaction. That can be a lot of fun. There is no right or wrong, just a path of finding what suits your particular needs and wants.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread