Cleaning RDA's and coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

buildabane

Sep 11, 2014
St. Louis, MO
I have my mechanical mods up and running, with all the tools I need, and I am rebuilding, currently doing dual coil set-ups.I am now officially in cloud of vapor so fluffy and flavorful that I feel like I am in a perfect dream when puffing on my mods. MAN! Dripping is where it is at!!!

I've done a lot of reading and thread search but couldn't find a good answer that works for me. I am currently rocking 3 mechanical mods - SS Panzer, Copper Nemesis (meh), and a stainless Caravela. A couple of atties, but mostly using a plume veil and my personal favorite - the tugboat. I am getting pretty decent at building and I am down to a 3 nic level. No mo tanks for me.

Here is mah question. Gunky coils. I vape heavy VG juice (pg sensitive), and I usually go with rich, dessertish, bakery type stuff...Love it. However my coils seem to get gunked up and black really quick. I do use Japanese cotton for wicking, and I have been dry burning my coils usually every day. Followed RIP Trippers video on cleaning and a bunch of others - They all use the same method, dry burn + water + dry burn. I've tried this and it does help a little bit, but not much. Should I just really let the dry burning rip it up and cook the gunk off for 10-20 minutes (of pulsing)? Or is there another way to get the gunk off of them? I knew that using heavy vg juice with darker, rich flavors would do this but I didn't know that a quick dry burn wouldn't work.

Any thoughts or tips appreciated! Also I should add that I have not been getting and bad flavor from the coils. As they get darker the flavor tends to mute a bit, but that's all. I do enjoy rebuilding, but when I build some coils I really like, I want to hang on to them for a few weeks.

Thanks in advance :vapor:

buildabane

Sep 11, 2014
St. Louis, MO
I've never needed more than a few bursts of heat to burn the gunk of my coils. I usually dry burn them, rinse them with a few drops of vodka, burn that off, and I'm good to re-wick.

Hmm. I may try dunking them in some plain 91% rubbing alcohol for a bit between dry burns, and then rinse with water. I am using 26 gauge Kanthol AWG A1...Maybe some alcohol will do the trick. I suppose I could actually soak them in alcohol for a few hours when I am not vaping - Can I soak the actually atomizer as well? Obviously would make sure all the alcohol evaporates and also make sure it is dry before putting in on one of my mechs.

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
I do the dry burn and then a rinse under hot running water and a gentle scrub with a toothbrush across the coils. I tried soaking in PGA back in the day and I've never really thought it works that well.

I mainly use an RM2 that has a ceramic deck. It will often get black deposits on it. A dry burn and this gentle scrubbing with a brush keeps it looking (and tasting) great.

buildabane

Sep 11, 2014
St. Louis, MO
I do the dry burn and then a rinse under hot running water and a gentle scrub with a toothbrush across the coils. I tried soaking in PGA back in the day and I've never really thought it works that well.

I mainly use an RM2 that has a ceramic deck. It will often get black deposits on it. A dry burn and this gentle scrubbing with a brush keeps it looking (and tasting) great.

Good info, thanks. I am going to try again in a bit. I'll pull out the cotton, dry burn like crazy using a high drain battery, dunk in alcohol and scrub away, then a final rinse and dry burn....Lol...Should do the trick!

TheJakeBailey

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 15, 2013
Austin,TX, USA
Good info, thanks. I am going to try again in a bit. I'll pull out the cotton, dry burn like crazy using a high drain battery, dunk in alcohol and scrub away, then a final rinse and dry burn....Lol...Should do the trick!

Just understand that the appearance of the coil IS going to change over time. It's never going to be as shiny and pretty as it was when you first wrapped it. A quick dry burn and a light brushing with a toothbrush will generally clean off the majority of what's going to come off. Give'r a rinse and you are good to go.

InTheShade

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 26, 2013
South Texas
I dry burn the coils too. I don't do it to clean the coils, I just want to make sure they're both firing correctly. I like when the coils get a little funky, the vape seems better once the coils are broken in.

Cheers
Rusty

I agree. Less spitting and more flavor on a slightly used coil. Then they give weeks of pretty solid vapes and then slowly die off. Like a perfect bell curve of performance.

dwarfcat

ECF Veteran
Aug 15, 2013
Grand Rapids MI
I remove the old cotton, run the deck and cap under some water. Screw the deck back on and dry burn off all the crusties and pulse it red hot a hand full of times, re-squeeze the coils a bit with some metal tweezers, make sure my posts are still nice and tight and my coils are all pretty and straight. Rinse again, repeat above then add me some new cotton. Good to go!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread