Not open for further replies.

Nomoreash

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 9, 2010
Chattanooga, TN
Kinda looks like a "Red Sky mods".

That's my thought also. looks like one of the first VV designs that Brian came out with. It doesn't look like his work though, he was more detailed and precise. At one point he sold that style as a diy kit also. He cut the wood panels to spec and the customer took it from there so I'm thinking that what this is. I bought one of those kits back in the day.

If it is the diy kit from Brian at Redsky then the builder could have used any number of regulators but if I had to bet from the looks it's a linear 5v or vv regulator that was popular and sold mostly through Ebay or Madvapes during that time period. One battery won't power it, it takes 2 batteries stacked. For that mod two 18350 batteries would have been used. AW Button top was the battery of the day and what most people used back then.

The 1.75 ohm build on the Cyclone sounds of the time period also, back then and before anything under 2 ohms was considered low resistance and if you went under 1.5 ohms you were flirting with disaster.....ah memories lol

Just realized it has a hole drilled for the potentiometer adjustment so it's not definitely a vv regulator and not a fixed 5v.

Here's a review of the production model. looks like you have the kit version but confirms same design and you can verify battery configeration.

Last edited:

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
The Vicious Ant Cyclone atty that came with the mod still had a build in it, metered out to 1.75Ω. Good thing, as currently it has no allen wrench to change the coil.

Can you estimate gauge? Number wrap and id. Might give an idea of how it was used and more if an idea of what you really have. Get batts in figure out its volt or watts range. Will help... but that wiring looks pretty light too me so I'm thinking low wattage regardless of volts. IDK... anyone know what the old Vamo mod boards looked like?
The Vicious Ant Cyclone atty that came with the mod still had a build in it, metered out to 1.75Ω. Good thing, as currently it has no allen wrench to change the coil.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Kelt.

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Apr 22, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    That's my thought also. looks like one of the first VV designs that Brian came out with. It doesn't look like his work though, he was more detailed and precise. At one point he sold that style as a diy kit also. He cut the wood panels to spec and the customer took it from there so I'm thinking that what this is. I bought one of those kits back in the day.

If it is the diy kit from Brian at Redsky then the builder could have used any number of regulators but if I had to bet from the looks it's a linear 5v or vv regulator that was popular and sold mostly through Ebay or Madvapes during that time period. One battery won't power it, it takes 2 batteries stacked. For that mod two 18350 batteries would have been used. AW Button top was the battery of the day and what most people used back then.

The 1.75 ohm build on the Cyclone sounds of the time period also, back then and before anything under 2 ohms was considered low resistance and if you went under 1.5 ohms you were flirting with disaster.....ah memories lol

Just realized it has a hole drilled for the potentiometer adjustment so it's not definitely a vv regulator and not a fixed 5v.

Here's a review of the production model. looks like you have the kit version but confirms same design and you can verify battery configeration.

Thank you!
    Up and running with a pair of 18350's and a pair of magnets.

Kelt.

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Apr 22, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    ..and it's official: I just got a message from Capt'Brian himself:
    "Ahoy!
    That is indeed one of my mods. The info that I have says it was made in Sept of 2011. The body is Koa wood with Black & White ebony ends. The purchase price then was $200 and only 50 of them were made."
    So cool that he replied to my inquiry and even offered to send me a PDF of the "new owners" manual.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread