PG and hearing loss

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThaRealist

Moved On
May 21, 2015
Lately I've been seeing talk about PG causing hearing loss and/or emphasize tinnitus.
An electronic music producer (Rob Swire) has sworn that his sudden complete hearing loss in his left ear is caused by the PG in his vape.

As I've been vaping almost every day at 18mg, using a mix of PG and VG for almost a year now, I haven't experienced hearing loss until a month ago, a little in my left ear. This may be due to wax buildup, but I can't be too sure, as PG has been proven to be ototoxic (irreversible damage to hearing organs).

Cullin Kin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 28, 2014
The 3Oh!3, Colorado
www.youtube.com
There was a thread posted about this earlier this week. His condition was alleviated by decongestants which suggests that his issue wasn't otoxicity. We are talking about the inner ear here...

The thing is, we really don't know. However, unless someone was blowing clouds directly in his ear or dumping juice in there, I don't see how this could happen. He was vaping for a week... There are members on here that have been vaping for 8 years with no problems.

ThaRealist

Moved On
May 21, 2015
Ok, because if PG is ototoxic when applied topically, wouldn't some PG make its way to the inner ear, seeing as there is a eustachian tube connecting our nasopharynx to our inner ear?

Maybe the PG vapor can enter the inner ear via that tube, when its open (such as when yawning or such).

For all the people that say PG is safe when consumed orally, well, stuff that digests in your stomach/intestines gets filtered by your liver... while lungs does not directly get filtered..

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Ok, because if PG is ototoxic when applied topically, wouldn't some PG make its way to the inner ear, seeing as there is a eustachian tube connecting our nasopharynx to our inner ear?

Maybe the PG vapor can enter the inner ear via that tube, when its open (such as when yawning or such).

For all the people that say PG is safe when consumed orally, well, stuff that digests in your stomach/intestines gets filtered by your liver... while lungs does not directly get filtered..

Ironic your user name is...

No
No
THE BACTERICIDAL ACTION OF PROPYLENE GLYCOL VAPOR ON MICROORGANISMS SUSPENDED IN AIR. I

toothpaste.jpg

cheers
I

Reactions: garnier81

snork

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 30, 2011
CO
Yeah... that's why I'm concerned about vaping, better safe than sorry, but .... it, lol!
Maybe PG effected the guy that way, anything's possible. But I've read an incredible amount of user reports on various health issues related to vaping here and elsewhere and nothing points to PG causing hearing loss in any way. I don't recall even one other report.

I have some loss & tinnitus in my left ear that gets a little worse each passing year. I know it's because of the damn out of control trombone player who used to sit behind me. I remember the day it happened.

Reactions: Lessifer

3mg Meniere

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 24, 2013
Tomah Wisconsin
What I meant to say is that PG is safe to eat because the liver can metabolize it to a different compound, while the lungs do not get filtered by the hepatic portal venous system (veins from your stomach/intestines to your liver, back to your heart, then to your body, etc)!
The inner ear is well protected from such contact. Drainage, etc, occur with the middle ear. Ototoxicity (inner ear) occurs through the circulatory system, not the respiratory system. In fact, anything that affects the heart will also affect the inner ear. Therefore, nic is the most ototoxic component of vaping and smoking. PG and VG are metabolized.

I was thinking on upping my PG from 50/50. I guess not.

However, over-the counter motion sickness meds are classified as antihistamines. They therefore reduce pressure in both the inner ear and middle ear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread