platinum coils

Status
Not open for further replies.

kismetcapitan

Dec 13, 2008
Nashville TN
I have concluded my first round of tests using platinum wire and I am satisfied enough with the results to say that this is a viable option for building decks with.

The idea was to use a metal that will not oxidize at any temperature. My first experiment was with 24kt gold. Gold has such a low resistance that 30 gauge was the only real option. Working with 30ga gold wire (half hard) is like working with the child of the thinnest Ni200 wire and a wet noodle. The coils were extremely fragile and it failed the final test (dry burn cleaning) instantly, by melting into pieces.

Gold is also over $1100/oz. Screw gold.

I then sourced 24 gauge platinum wire (pt950, Pt/Ru alloy) from a jewelry supply (Rio Grande jewelry making supplies, jewelry tools and jewellery supply). This stuff is much more sturdy, like working with Ti at the same gauge, but without the springiness. You can actually clean up the coils with tweezers without heating the coils and they'll more or less stay where you put them. Like gold, contact coils don't work with Pt because the resistance plummets.

I didn't invent this idea - there are mods with a platinum TC mode, although I've never seen actual platinum coils. But to program in a mode, someone has done this already (and knows that magic TCR).

4 inches of this wire ohms out to 0.2 ohms, which is right around where I expected it to be after looking up Pt resistances online. I ordered 16 inches of wire, which cost $60.

I built 4 coils, and put two into a Hannya postless RDA, one vertically mounted into a Velocity RDA, and one horizontally mounted into a smok TFV4 RTA. They have all worked well, although wicking TFV4 RTAs is a pain in the ... to get just right.

It seems that Pt coils heat very rapidly. Here's a dry fire of the Hannya dual coil build:

So far as I can tell, the juice isn't affected by any wire flavor, but different people may be able to tell, if wire flavor exists at all.

The main benefit is the ability to never replace the coil. To test this, I ran the deck dry and fried the coils. I then pulled the cotton, gave it a quick rinse to clean the juice off, then mounted it on a Coilmaster 521. The cleaning process was very simple, and can be seen here:

Pretty much everything vaporized off within the first couple pulses. Other wire types can do this. But the platinum wire returned to its ORIGINAL shiny luster. The coil also seemed to be a bit more sturdy - I don't know much about annealing but I'm guessing the heating and cooling helped the coil become stronger.

I didn't take a video of it, but the TFV4 coil was even filthier, as I had wicking problems and burned the hell out of it. It was brand new after just one cycle of heating it to red hot. Not even a rinse was required in both cases.

Platinum isn't cheap, but $15 for a coil isn't unreasonable. One would then have to build a deck only once, and you'd only need to rewick as needed. I know this can be done with kanthal, but the more you use and dry burn kanthal coils, the dirtier they get and I can definitely taste the difference between new and very used kanthal.

What amazed me was the cleaning process. 10-20 seconds of pulsing, and the coil is returned to a literally brand new state.

I need to find the TCR for this type of platinum - platinum wire comes in a wide variety of alloys and it's reasonable to assume that each has a different TCR. My dual-coil build ended up with a 0.08 ohm resistance, perhaps due to how deeply I mounted the legs. I have to therefore run it in TC mode; I'm running that deck on a IPV D3 mod in Ti mode, and I just carefully inched up the temperature and joules until I found the sweet spot. The single coil builds are running in power mode until I can find that TCR; part of why I fried the TFV4 build is because I tried running titanium TC mode on my RX200 mod and couldn't get it dialed in just right.

In practical use, platinum wire so far has been performing like titanium, with faster ramp up and the ability to dry fire the hell out of it. Titanium changes with heat, and while the actual melting points are very similar, we all know you can't glow Ti coils red hot. Pt wire is easy to work with, and you would only have to do it once.

Why bother with these new ceramic heating elements, when you can mount platinum coils on your existing hardware and get the lifelong use benefit, not have to deal with slow ramp times, and because platinum doesn't react with anything easily, it's likely safer - there's question regarding the safety of heated ceramics.

I hope some of you give it a whirl, and I'd like to see if your results mirror mine.

P.S. the same website I got my wire from offers spools of 12 feet of 34 gauge platinum wire for $135. Someone's going to put 2 and 2 together and build a platinum clapton coil....

Nikea Tiber

ECF Veteran
Jul 21, 2015
You have done a valuable service to the vaping community with your test.

That being said, I have a set of SS coils that have been in daily rotation, have vaped over 500ml of juice off of them, numerous rewicks + dry burns, and they always return to a nice uniform matte silver at this point. I'll let you guys know if they ever have problems, but I am suspecting the price/performance of SS is unbeatable.

Reactions: Rossum

kismetcapitan

Dec 13, 2008
Nashville TN
(for those who don't know) there are several different types of platinum that's commercially available. the platinum is either 90% or 95%, and the balance is usually iridium, ruthenium, or rhodium. there are small differences in how each type of metal behaves in terms of resistance, workability, etc. I haven't tried the Pt/Ir or Pt/Rh and I'm not sure I will, unless I find a good supplier that offers each alloy in wire form at affordable prices.

kismetcapitan

Dec 13, 2008
Nashville TN
ok, I just did some research. platinum/iridium and platinum/rhodium are soft. since platinum/ruthenium works similarly to titanium and kanthal wire, I'm going to guess those two will be a bit flimsy to work with when making coils. The best hardening allow is platinum and nickel, but then you run into the same potential toxicity issues as Ni200 wire if you run it too hot. platinum/ruthenium also has (relatively) the highest resistance of commonly available platinum alloys. more resistance is better with vape coils, as we know. the ultra-low resistance of nickel, for example, really limits what kind of coils you can make and what you can do with it.

the jewelry supply I use also offers spools of 34 gauge platinum, 12 feet for like $130. I am sorely tempted - I'd love to make the first platinum clapton coil.... :)

kismetcapitan

Dec 13, 2008
Nashville TN
I found a working TCR to use TC with this platinum wire: 0.01042. The number I kept finding was 0.00392 but that doesn't work when programmed into my RX200, most likely because that's the TCR for 100% pure platinum, and I'm using 95% platinum, which has a higher resistance. The TCR of 0.01042 I got off an engineering paper about thermocouples and the use of platinum in temperature sensor applications.

Using TC is greatly increasing the interval between coil cleanings; in straight power mode, I had to degunk the coils every other day. While this just meant pulling the wick, dry firing for 5 seconds, then rewicking, the longer I can stretch the interval between cleanings, the more the benefit of using platinum coils becomes evident in terms of saving time and maintenance, while also remaining the cleanest tasting wire I've come across.

SLIPPY_EEL

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Ω England Ω
I found a working TCR to use TC with this platinum wire: 0.01042. The number I kept finding was 0.00392 but that doesn't work when programmed into my RX200, most likely because that's the TCR for 100% pure platinum, and I'm using 95% platinum, which has a higher resistance. The TCR of 0.01042 I got off an engineering paper about thermocouples and the use of platinum in temperature sensor applications.

Using TC is greatly increasing the interval between coil cleanings; in straight power mode, I had to degunk the coils every other day. While this just meant pulling the wick, dry firing for 5 seconds, then rewicking, the longer I can stretch the interval between cleanings, the more the benefit of using platinum coils becomes evident in terms of saving time and maintenance, while also remaining the cleanest tasting wire I've come across.

And if you haven't tried or use it already Rayon wick also greatly improves the time between cleaning's.

Sorry @kismetcapitan :) i just had to throw that out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread