Proof e-cigs are safe

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
You might try pouring some of your e juice on your hand while she watches, letting it sit there for a bit in front of her.. do a small demonstration of there being no burns, and no death associated with your e juice getting on your hand..

Then, hand her the print out from the royal college of physicians on the safety of ecigarette usage as compared to smoking..

Then, just walk away.. there is nothing more for you to say, nor argue about. She saw live and in person the fact she was lied to, and you handed her proof from actual physicians that she is being lied to, which she can peruse at her leisure.

That's it, nothing more for you to do or say.
Haha now this is awesome advice :D

Reactions: Opinionated

David Wolf

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Dec 11, 2014
Charlotte, NC
The first thing I do when I get a batch of 100mg nic is put a single drop on my tongue. I wouldn't recommend that anyone else do this, as different people tolerate nicotine to greatly varying degrees and it might well make someone else ill. But that's around three times as potent as even very high concentration juice, and more like 30 times as potent as what a lot of people vape these days. And it has yet to burn a hole in my tongue.

That's not to say that you shouldn't treat nicotine with respect. It's a toxin in relatively small quantities, and should be treated as such. But lots of things are so. People might be a little more concerned than is absolutely necessary over it these days.
Number of child deaths due to access to matches and lighters for cigarettes each year in the US is 300 to 400, and 100,000 fires started by children in the US. Number of recorded child deaths in the US due to 100 mg nicotine ingestion = 1. Keep all Nicotine away from children, but more importantly don't leave matches and lighters around. Adults need to behave as such and then everyone's safe.

ricks

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 11, 2011
Moscow PA
Perhaps you might want to shoot her a pic?

hqdefault.jpg
I'll show her that. Thanks

She just hit me with the battery bomb thing... WoW, she's dumber than a bucket of rocks.

Zakillah

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2015
Vienna
Pure nic in the 1000mg/ml strength will kill you quickly. Even breathing the air in a room with an open bottle of 1000mg/ml nic or especially where a spill has occurred will likely be deadly. A spill of pure nic is a hazmat situation.
Huh? I dont know where you have this info from, but its wrong.
Pure Nicotine is resorped very, very slowly on skin contact. Nicotine on your skin will not kill you. Nicotine is not a very volatile substance either, so it will not fill the room with toxic Nicotine gas that you will inhale and die.
I handle pure Nic at my workplace. I dont wear a whole body condom and a gas mask while doing it. I still live.

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    Wild tobacco is deadly strong and suitable only for shamans. The first smokers in England were often called "dry drunks". Only by breeding out the nicotine level was smoking made suitable for the masses. According to a history of tobacco use I saw, e-cigs are only the latest step in civilizing nicotine use.

Good idea... I already told her that 50% of smokers will die from smoking.
    This is also false. Fighting disinformation with disinformation doesn't make it better. The lungs thing is also reportedly fake, it's dye.

An important thing to get out to smokers is not only is vaping less harmful, it's more enjoyable and less addictive. There is no compromise except perhaps complexity.

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
    ECF Veteran
    May 22, 2010
    Central GA
    Huh? I dont know where you have this info from, but its wrong.
    Pure Nicotine is resorped very, very slowly on skin contact. Nicotine on your skin will not kill you. Nicotine is not a very volatile substance either, so it will not fill the room with toxic Nicotine gas that you will inhale and die.
    I handle pure Nic at my workplace. I dont wear a whole body condom and a gas mask while doing it. I still live.

I worked around 5000v electrostatic power supplies for 36 years in my job. I only got hit once or twice and it obviously didn't didn't kill me, but it made me respect its ability to make my muscles contract violently.

I don't care to experience the effects of pure nic. I believe the Hazmat brochures.

100mg/ml nic is the highest form I care to handle and I treat it with respect even though it's not nearly as dangerous as pure nic. Every other article I read stresses proper cautions for handling 1000mg/ml nic. The ECF thread below outlines handling cautions that I choose to believe.

Warning - E-Liquid DIY Safety

Is Nicotine Really as Dangerous as Cyanide? | RealClearScience

Last edited:
    Reactions: Katdarling

Zakillah

ECF Veteran
    Jan 24, 2015
    Vienna
    Dont get me wrong, I dont want average Joe to buy and handle pure Nic either. I do wear gloves when handling Nic. So yes, of course you have to be careful.
    However, I dont like spreading such borderline fear mongering misinformation. No, Nicotine does not resorp quickly through skin. Wipe it off first then wash. You'll be fine. And no, spilled Nicotine does not fill the room with toxic Nicotine gas.

www.bernd-mayer.com/electronic-cigarettes-and-nicotine-poisoning/

ricks

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 11, 2011
    Moscow PA
    This is also false. Fighting disinformation with disinformation doesn't make it better. The lungs thing is also reportedly fake, it's dye.

She wasn't accepting the truth so I tried the exaggerated route... She still swears by her tobacco reps and won't even tell me if she smokes herself.

Last edited:

mcclintock

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    She wasn't accepting the truth so I tried the exaggerated route... She still swears by her tobacco reps and won't even tell me if she smokes herself.
    As long as it's clear you're telling her that only, not us, that's fine. See my edit also.

Not only is she wrong, she should be angry at this rep for lying to her.

Reactions: Katdarling

BlueMoods

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2010
    USA - Arkansas
    I finally got my point across to my in law that had similar ideas. I vape 18 mg mostly, I put one drop of my juice in 16 oz of water, stirred and, let my dog drink the water. In law swore that one drop in the water would kill my dog.

Needless to say, no ill effects for the dog whatsoever. That was probably less nicotine than in a slice of eggplant and, the dog likes fried eggplant.

I would bet this person eats, and even considers foods that contain nicotine healthy - yep, it's in foods that are very good for you. 6 Common Food with Nicotine Content | About Testing

True it takes about 10 lbs of eggplant to equal one cigarette but, still it and all of the other foods in the nightshade family do contain nicotine and, they are good for us.

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 25, 2011
    Utopia
    Wild tobacco is deadly strong and suitable only for shamans. The first smokers in England were often called "dry drunks". Only by breeding out the nicotine level was smoking made suitable for the masses. According to a history of tobacco use I saw, e-cigs are only the latest step in civilizing nicotine use.

An important thing to get out to smokers is not only is vaping less harmful, it's more enjoyable and less addictive. There is no compromise except perhaps complexity.

Thank you, mcclintock. I'm going to edit out the false picture.

Steamix

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 21, 2013
    Vapistan

Easy.

Take a paper napkin.

Take a puff from a cig ( or have a smoker take one ) and exhale through the paper napkin

Do the same with your vape.

- - - -

But if yer ain't pulling legs here with citing the cliche blondy...

capitalize on it.

Since you're putting up with a string of uninformed hogwash from a person with supposeldy below-average cerebral activity, you might as well convince her that a good roll in the hay ight rejuvenate her, or protect her from abduction by aliens, or make her win the lottery next time, or, or,... :D

Katdarling

I'm still here on ECF... sort of. ;)
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jan 25, 2011
    Utopia
    - - - -

But if yer ain't pulling legs here with citing the cliche blondy...

capitalize on it.

Since you're putting up with a string of uninformed hogwash from a person with supposeldy below-average cerebral activity, you might as well convince her that a good roll in the hay ight rejuvenate her, or protect her from abduction by aliens, or make her win the lottery next time, or, or,... :D

ECF, now also excellent for increasing your repertoire of pick up lines. ;)

go_player

ECF Veteran
    Mar 2, 2012
    USA
    Number of child deaths due to access to matches and lighters for cigarettes each year in the US is 300 to 400, and 100,000 fires started by children in the US. Number of recorded child deaths in the US due to 100 mg nicotine ingestion = 1. Keep all Nicotine away from children, but more importantly don't leave matches and lighters around. Adults need to behave as such and then everyone's safe.

Yep. I don't have kids. I do have cats. Cigarette lighters and matches were never a big concern with them, because they don't have thumbs. Which is a very good thing- if cats had thumbs I'd be worried for humanity's future.

I'll admit that I'm probably a bit overly paranoid when it comes to nicotine and the cats. I can be a bit cavalier about the stuff, when it comes to my own safety (I think I'd have to mess up pretty badly to really hurt myself with it, and I do take basic precautions. As a perhaps interesting to some side-note I am just old enough to have had some pretty large volumes strapped to my back in a pesticide tank as a child, though I do not remember the concentrations involved. I suspect they were not insignificant.)

I'm far less cavalier when it comes to them, just because they are so tiny, and because cats are weird. They are extremely tough little creatures who are oddly sensitive to certain chemicals. I'm fond of them, and I'd rather be safe than sorry.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread