Propylene Glycol ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bdbodger

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 27, 2011
North Vancouver BC Canada
I read an article that said that 11% of the PG produced is used in food products . It is used to moisturize pet food but is no longer used for cat food because of something about fat deposits . It is given to cows in their food two weeks before lactation and for 6 weeks after . Somehow it helps with the process of turning fat into milk for a condition called ketosis . It is use in asthma inhalers because the medicine in it isn't soluble in water as well as being used in some injectable medicines . It is used instead of ethylene glycol in anti freeze because it is not toxic although ethylene glycol is still used . It is added to the air in the form of vapor in hospitals because it has anti bacterial properties . It is a commonly used substance you probably ingest frequently .

Last edited:

Vapoor eyes er

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 13, 2011
Toronto, Ont.
From the American Association of Public Health Physicians
"Propylene glycol and glycerin are used as carriers of the nicotine. These cause the visible vapor. These substances are generally recognized as safe. They are commonly used in theatrical fog machines, asthma inhalers and air fresheners."

http://www.aaphp.org/Resources/Documents/20100402AAPHPEcigLegisStatemnt.pdf

Freddytk421

ECF Veteran
Oct 25, 2011
Texas
There is no way to tell if vaping PG or VG or anything is safe or not. it can be eaten but no one knows what coating your lungs with it for decades will do because it has not been around that long. people will say they have been vaping for a year or three and they feel great and all that. I felt great several years into smoking normal cigs and was running over 5 miles a day. People that worked with asbestos felt great for years before they didn't. time will tell. We are trailblazers.

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
A thoracic surgeon told a member that PG vapor is used to deliver inhaled medications in hospitals, even to lung transplant patients.

Re safety? There are no long-term studies. However based on the way we feel and the way most people's health and skin color improves we think it is obviously safer than smoking. And ecigs are meant for smokers to replace smoking. Nobody is saying they are safer than breathing air.

Ecigs only have about 5 ingredients (PG, VG, flavoring, nicotine, and sometimes water or alcohol for thinning VG) compared to 4000 in cigarettes which include formaldehyde, cyanide and carpet glue to to mention the combustion products of tar and carbon monoxide.

Last edited:

HeadLikeOrange

ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2011
Massachusetts, USA
People that worked with asbestos felt great for years before they didn't. time will tell. We are trailblazers.

That is terrifying. I can see the tort lawyers' commercials in 20 years... "Did you or someone you love die from lung cancer after using a so-called 'e-cigarette', 'e-cig', or 'personal vaporizer (pv)'?"

chevelle

ECF Veteran
There is no way to tell if vaping PG or VG or anything is safe or not. it can be eaten but no one knows what coating your lungs with it for decades will do because it has not been around that long. people will say they have been vaping for a year or three and they feel great and all that. I felt great several years into smoking normal cigs and was running over 5 miles a day. People that worked with asbestos felt great for years before they didn't. time will tell. We are trailblazers.

This topic comes up quite frequently - and is answered the same way just as frequently...
The following was taken from the Propylene Glycol entry in Wikipedia. It suggests that PG at least has been around for awhile:

"...Studies conducted in 1942 by Dr. Oswald Hope Robertson of University of Chicago's Billings Hospital showed vaporized propylene glycol inhalation in laboratory mice may prevent pneumonia, influenza, and other respiratory diseases. Additional studies in monkeys and other animals were undertaken to determine long-term effects, especially the potential for accumulation in the lungs. After a few months of treatment, no ill effects were discovered...[36]"

Not saying any of this is definitive from Wikipedia or any other source but its only one of many studies performed over the decades. I post it merely to illustrate that PG has been around a very long time. Other than isolated cases of allergic sensitivity, no major affliction has ever been attributed to its use in all that time.

The info is out there for anyone to make their own decisions. Personally I'll take my chances.

Last edited:

carpedebass

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 10, 2011
The Alamo City
I'm 37. At this point in my life, I think anything (vaping) is safer than smoking. To be honest, I doubt people will still be vaping in 20 years....with the zombie apocalypse and all.

GAHH! That darned zombie apocolypse. :facepalm: I was planning on living forever...:p

dormouse

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Oct 31, 2010
Pennsylvania
Zombie apocalypse - better stock up

Unrelated -

The nice thing about PG is it's thin, it lets through the most flavor and the most nicotine TH (though also the most nicotine irritation). It works for every method of vaping (as do popular high-PG blends like 80PG/20VG). But 100% PG makes thin visible vapor that doesn't last long.

VG is thick, it dulls/smooths everything PG lets through, and it makes thicker more persistent vapor. But it's too thick for many vaping methods. Juice needs to flow and wick to the coil at least as fast as you vape it. VG, even VG thinned with distilled water, may be too thick to work well in most tanks, most reservoir cartos, most stuffing cartos (which are pretty much all of the most popular forums of vaping). The vapor and lung feel of VG is very nice if you mainly want lots of vapor but it can make vaping more difficult because of its thickness.

Most people like blends.

Last edited:

VoodooCat

Oct 26, 2011
NYC
I'm 37. At this point in my life, I think anything (vaping) is safer than smoking. To be honest, I doubt people will still be vaping in 20 years....with the zombie apocalypse and all.

Major my buddy said the same thing about Zombies!:laugh:

But I agree I just turned 39 and said before I hit 40 I would quit. Vaping off the Blu these past two months has helped. I also started filling their carts with PG juice from Johnson Creek. It was that juice that got me off the need to feel the "menthol" taste.
So if PG will help keep me and others away from the Tar and other chemicals in analogs I say "VAPE AWAY"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread