Putting down the protanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took the Dremel to my VTR a while back, it currently sports a Pulse genesis rba clone. Fits beautifully and hits like a freight train.

ydara8up.jpg

Does it bow out. I'm worried that the wider tank would put stress in the 510 connection.

duroSIG556R

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 15, 2013
United States
I really have not had any major problems out of my protanks but I got a FULL SIZE RUSSIAN, and a clone of the Kayfun by tobeco and I tell u I have got one more on the way it is the best vape well to me it is.

I agree. I put down my tanks (to be used in an emergency), and now own two russian 91 clones and one kebo russian 91. I have finally found the atomizer for me. I've been using the kayfun style for almost a month now and have no regrets.

MR. Mad

ECF Veteran
Dec 16, 2013
Michigan
I really have not had any major problems out of my protanks but I got a FULL SIZE RUSSIAN, and a clone of the Kayfun by tobeco and I tell u I have got one more on the way it is the best vape well to me it is.
i love my protank 2 but i also have a trident and a i-atty on the way to play with i wish the russian came with a glass tank i would buy one now.

nostinkies

ECF Veteran
Oct 30, 2013
Kayfun Nirvana!
Once I got my KFL+ and a clone, Those 2 replaced my 3 Pt's. I cleaned them up and tossed them in the drawer. The protanks got me off the smokes, but the Kayfun design and clones too for that matter, really got me hooked. The flavor and vapor production is just way better than I ever got off a protank when wicked with cotton. Sticking it on top of a VV/VW device helped the protanks but still couldn't beat the KFL's.

MISTERDIEABETIC

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Have you tried rebuilding a protank head with cotton ? In my opinion cotton taste better than silica. The silica gives me a minute funky aftertaste. I also prefer the taste of my kayfun but while im out and about i prefer to take my protank style tank. I usually keep an extra rebuilt head around just in case but i have not had any problems.

I noticed that since I only use rebuilt heads with cotton wick that my protank NEVER flood anymore.

Sent From Diabeetus

certus11

ECF Veteran
Jan 17, 2014
usa
What kind of dremel and with which cutting tool did u use. I might try that with mine.

I have tried many many chimmey and got it to where I thought was quite awesome BUT I didn't like how it feels when I vape. It feels like I'm vaping a steel mill and I would be able to taste "metallic." I prefer super nano (once wrapped the coil still measure just 1/16 or even less it seems). I put some cotton in there with 2mm silica taste wick on top. To avoid flooding due to the coil's wick being very thin, I put a piece of seal(same seal that you see near the base of the atty...I just took one off of another atty) underneath. I'll probably try to recreate this when aqua arrives

MacTechVpr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2013
Hollywood (Beach), FL
What is it that makes it so different?

Very good question. So good, it deserves an answer. But nothin' to freak about. What makes it [the vape] better is better engineering (more expensive, less volume production) in the higher end products. Factory coils suck. You need to learn to rebuild to really expand the vapor and flavor horizons. Or, you'll pay through the nose in time, wasted supplies and mod investments you'll little use, stuck in the pre-pack universe. Even if you drill it out 50 ways to Sunday.

Few seem to consider what the devices are designed to do and so understand their limitations and requirements. Everybody's an inventor here (as there seems to be no real direction). But not everyone is qualified to really get you there. Lot of overnight experts. Lot of vapers who never read the manual (research). And ECF is not the end-all on knowledge, not by far. That's ok I guess. We all gotta find our own way.

It's about temperature bucken. Vaporization is more akin to cooking than anything else. And electrical principles like resistance and proper termination are essential to understanding that and getting there. As well as for your own safety and health.

If you care to, stop by my blog. Some links by a master builder, who conceived the microcoil, on making a proper electrical coil. That's like, dimensions removed in terms of results from where you are or are likely to be in the next few weeks and months. Just do it. You won't regret it. I point to good threads on intermediate and advanced techniques.

Good luck bucken. And let me know how you make out.

:)

There are three kinds of men: the one that learns by reading, the few who learn by observation, and the rest who have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. —Will Rogers

Last edited:

csantiago1911

ECF Veteran
Dec 19, 2013
United States
I thought my protanks were good initially... Eventually noticed that the factory coils didn't last very long and were prone to quality issues... Started rebuilding heads and saw much better life and performance... Figured as long as I was rebuilding coils I might as well try an RBA... That opened my eyes to how much better a good RBA is over a protank... I never want to use a clearo again after using a good RBA like the kayfun. I gave my protanks away and replaced them with kayfuns.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

dice57

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Mount Vernon, Wa

My first rba was the Russian, haven't use a PT since. Muted flavor, lack luster vape production, gurgles and leaks on 510 connection, who needs that crap. lmao. Yeah, once you go rba, the PT"s just sit and collect dust.

Had to laugh today, the guy I PIF'd an ego and a PT to, show's up to work with a Evic, and today has a Kayfun clone, he was smiling and yee hawing.

Yeah the Russian puts out the flavor, but doesn't hold a candle to the Flash-e-Vapor V2, but the Russian is still an excellent rba, really phenomenal once pushed past 20 watts. Fair warning though, once you learn the art of building rba's you'll never go back to mute ville.

Lexx

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2014
United Kingdom
What kind of dremel and with which cutting tool did u use. I might try that with mine.

Standard metal cut-off wheel.

Standard variable speed (10,000 - 35,000 rpm?) Dremel tool.

It was cake, you'll need grind out the PV side of the top ring that remains though, not hard just takes a while.

Always thought the VTR looks "happier" after the mod ;-)

Lexx

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2014
United Kingdom
Thanks for the info I'm looking forward to getting mine.

Very welcome.

It's a great mod, the ability to sub-ohm on it is one of my fav features, I can just throw on a build from one of my mechs and vape away.

I use Panasonic NCR 3400mah 18650 batts in mine. All-day vaping at high wattage. Lovely.

Definitely think about chopping the ring off it, gives you the ability to run any tank up to 22mm. Alternatively, the excellent Taifun GS fits with the ring although it does stick out a lot.

Got a Taifun GT on the way (23mm) so I'll see if that fits & report back.

Enjoy your new vape wear :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread