Royal Wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

in7el

Jan 7, 2015
london
Looking at purchase just one pack of Royal Wire, struggling to decide on which gauge to buy 22,24 or 26.

Is it possible to do duel parallel coils with the royal wire? I'm guessing 22 gauge will be ridiculously low ohms, I want to be around the .2 ohms range from a dual paralell coil setup.

Wanted to purchase as I have used a fair bit of my 22 ga and 24 ga Kanthal looking for a change, apparently vapor production and flavour is better with the royals, or if anyone has any other wire types to suggest feel free.

I know the royals are expensive but a lot of people rate them highly.

Xaiver

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2011
Clearwater, MN
I'd never heard of royal wire, but after a quick google search, it looks like it's re-branded NiChrome. I use NiChrome 60, which has a bit of a metallic taste for the first ~half tank, and then it's golden. Been using it for years, you can get a 100' spool of NiChrome from eBay for under 10 dollars.

NiChrome is softer than Kanthal, and not as springy. I find it easier to work with, personally. YMMV.

Also, NiChrome's resistance per foot is different than Kanthal, so keep that in mind if you're looking to buy some. I generally aim for 1.8-2.0 ohm coils with a 4/5 wrap around a dual layer of 3mm silica wick. I use NiChrome 60 32AWG.

Hope this helps,
-X

Dj Xy

I'm winning like Charlie
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2011
baltimore, maryland
I'd never heard of royal wire, but after a quick google search, it looks like it's re-branded NiChrome. I use NiChrome 60, which has a bit of a metallic taste for the first ~half tank, and then it's golden. Been using it for years, you can get a 100' spool of NiChrome from eBay for under 10 dollars.

NiChrome is softer than Kanthal, and not as springy. I find it easier to work with, personally. YMMV.

Also, NiChrome's resistance per foot is different than Kanthal, so keep that in mind if you're looking to buy some. I generally aim for 1.8-2.0 ohm coils with a 4/5 wrap around a dual layer of 3mm silica wick. I use NiChrome 60 32AWG.

Hope this helps,
-X

I agree that its rebranded, however, having tried it, the resistance per foot is the same as Kanthal A1, and it has the springy-ness of Kanthal A1 that been torched.
Kanthal A1 and Nichrome can be bought directly from the manufacturer, Temco.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread