Micro coils and ohms description

Status
Not open for further replies.

Broxyn

Nov 29, 2014
Oregon
Many thanks for all the work done on this thread (including the awesome spreadsheet) ! Newbie here and trying to soak this all in. I just wish there was a standard coil wrapping tool. I bought me a precision screwdriver (much easier for me to get the coils started) set in hopes of being able to use that in all my future builds but it looks like I need a toolbox just for all the coil wrapping objects from safety pins to music wire haha

Last edited:

nerak

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 12, 2011
Fairfield Township, OH, USA
www.facebook.com
Many thanks for all the work done on this thread (including the awesome spreadsheet) ! Newbie here and trying to soak this all in. I just wish there was a standard coil wrapping tool. I bought me a precision screwdriver (much easier for me to get the coils started) set in hopes of being able to use that in all my future builds but it looks like I need a toolbox just for all the coil wrapping objects from safety pins to music wire haha

Some people use this: Amazon.com: Artistic Wire Coiling Gizmo(R) Deluxe Winder for Jewelry Making
You can also buy it locally at most Hobby Lobby or Michael's stores.

unsure

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 6, 2010
Silicon Valley, California
Without a jig I'd stll be relying on Jan's kindness and not be able to make twisted wire coils. 1.1Ωs

coiltwisted.JPG

Broxyn

Nov 29, 2014
Oregon

sedge

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 8, 2012
Palm Springs, CA

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago
RBA SUPPLIES had a preorder for a different one. Does 6 different sizes but the smallest is 5/64" which is a hair under 2mm. I wish it went down to 1.6 or at least 1.8.

The problem with these I see is lack of tension during winding.

SideWinder EZ Coil Kit - RBA Supplies
Thanks I thought it was them. You could tension wrap, if you wrap directly from the spool and fix it in place. You'd need to turn the handle and not the top of these jigs.

IMAG2188_1-M.jpg

Filthy-Beast

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2011
Chicago
Why? Couldn't you just use less wraps. Interested because I'm thinking of purchasing. Thanks.
I use readyXwick ceramic wick in 2mm size and it works best in 1/16 or #51 ID coils, those are a lot smaller than 2mm. I wrap about 7 wraps of 29 ga for 1 ohm coil, I like to keep wrap count around 7. Here's a handy chart to have Drill Size Conversion Table

Broxyn

Nov 29, 2014
Oregon
I just found a great tool on Google Play. I'm not sure if it's available for IOS but I'm guessing it should. It's called "Drill Bit Charts Free" It should come in handy when trying to figure out coil build size when for instance, someone is using a 3/32 inch Drill bit wrapping a 26G wire with 8 wraps (for a dual coil .51 ohm build). According to the App - the closest to that size (and what screwdriver I have) would be the 2.4mm. So 8 wraps with that should at least get me close, as I want more of a .8 - 1. ohm dual coil build for my first RDA which is the Vulcan.

BTW - MANY thanks to the link up a ways that had the drill bit chart. If it wasn't for that I may not have thought to see if "There is a App for that" haha
Here is another I found that looks pretty complete! Drill Bit Size Chart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread