RSST wont get below 1.8 max

Status
Not open for further replies.

Colonel

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 27, 2011
New jersey
I have re wrapped thus thing 4 or 5 times alreay. Tried oxidizing the mesh wick more and more times. Trued a twisted wire wrap. Im only using 3 wraps around the wick. But still getting around 2.0 at best. It works better on my vamo then my mech mod. My kanger pros are destroying it. Im really excited to see what it can do but just cant get it there. 3 oranage coils on a nice black wick and still half assed. I know its not a short issue, im using an rsst rba tank. Everything is isolated. Any thoughts? The mech is measuring at over 4v. I should be able to get a decent vape. Right?

Edit...32g wire on 400ss mesh tube rolled with high pg liquid...vamo at 7-9w

Last edited:
Reactions: thetrucker

clstearns

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 11, 2012
Texas
Sounds like you should try some 30 or 28 awg. This will allow you to get lower resistance for the same number of wraps. However, keep in mind that there's a bottom limit on your vamo, where if the resistance is too low, or the amperage is too high, it won't fire.

If you're running 2 ohms at 9W on your vamo, that's approximately 4.2 volts. So, if the battery on your mech is running at ~4 volts, that will only push the 2 ohm coil to 8W, giving you slightly less power. This might explain why it performs "better" on your vamo. Essentially, the vamo is running the coil slightly hotter.

Currently, I run an RSST on an EA mech mod, with a 4/3 coil of 28awg kanthal. It measures on my Provari at 0.8 ohms. On a fully charged 18650 at 4.2 V, this outputs ~22W of power. This will NOT run on my Provari, because it's running 5.25 amps of current, and the amp limit on my Provari is 3.5.

PLEASE make sure that, if you're trying to run low-ohm, hot coils on a mech, that you research two things:

1. Ohm's law, so you can do the math.
2. Your batteries, so you don't blow up your face.

I use AW 18650 2000mah batteries at the moment, and they have a 10 amp current limit, so the 5.25 amps I'm pushing across my RSST's coil is relatively safe.

Hope all this helps!

Donovan69

ECF Veteran
Mar 28, 2013
Abbotsford, British Columbia, Canada
I am running my RSST w 28g wire and getting anywhere from a 1.4 -.8 ohm and this thing is SWEET!!!

Try using a 28g, I dont think your going to get anything low ohm using a 32g honestly.
I make twisted 32g all the time. It slices the resistance in half. Comes out pretty close to 28g. I also notice that I get less hot spots with twisted wire. Mind you I am using 28g on my rsst!! But on my aga t+ and aga-s I am using twisted wire due to the room between my ss wick and the positive post on those devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread