RSST Wicking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ranic85

Moved On
Sep 12, 2013
Earth
Hey folks,

I recently got a Smoktech RSST to top my Vamo V3. I built a 1.6 ohm coil with 28 gauge kanthal. I am using Stainless Steel Mesh, and I made it hollow by wrapping it around a toothpick. I have no issues with hotspots, or anything like that. My problem is I cannot for the life of me get this thing wick! I take a couple puffs and it quickly goes dry and the coils turn red. Boom. Metal burning flavor!

I don't understand why it will not wick, its hollow to the size of a toothpick for crying out loud! I really want to get this working because taking my mech/nimbus into town is a pain to have to drip every four or five puffs. Anyone have any hints as to why this thing will not wick at all?

On a side note I started using VG based juice. Since that wasn't wicking I tried 80 PG 20 VG juice and still will not wick!

Thanks!

toughguitar

ECF Veteran
Jun 11, 2013
Central FL
Is it tight in the wick hole? It needs to be loose, but not loose enough so that juice can pour out when tilted. Cut the bottom of the wick flat. Using a hollow wick should work, all my wicks are hollow, its just a preference solid or hollow. Don't give up, SS wick rolling takes practice, the more you try, the more you will learn.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Thanks everyone for the advice. I am going to rebuild it tonight and give it another shot!

Ranic, try to get it as solid as possible. I use one of my wife's long, thick and blunt sewing needles to start it off. It's tricky until you get the hang of it. I carefully start to roll, but not too tight at first. I do a couple of rolls and open the mesh. Then roll again tighter. Undo it and roll once more as tight as possible. Unroll until only a roll or two is left and remove the needle. Then slowly roll it up tight. Those first few rolls are the most important. If they are not tight you won't be able to tighten them later.

My roll technique is like rolling cigarette paper between thumb and forefinger. I also never take both hands off the wick at the same time to not let it unravel.

Let us know how it goes :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread