Safety question

Status
Not open for further replies.

badnaam_pahad

Apr 4, 2017
Newb here, please pardon silly questions..

i have a 1.27ohm coil in a lemo 2 that I am vaping at 20.5 watts. The device has calculated the volts to be at 5.2. I have a single Brillpower 18650 3100mAH battery (3.2V) in it.

Questions..

#1 Since the battery is rated at 3.2v but at 20.5 watts the device is showing 5.2 V, am I exceeding the voltage rating of the battery hence heading towards an explosion?

#2 Using the Watt = Volt * Amp formula, is the current amp draw on the battery, 20.5 watts/5.2 volts = 4.01 amps? Is that exceeding the amp rating on the battery.

#3 Is brillpower a reliable brand of batteries?

I have seen people vape at 50+ watts. What kind of battery supports that? Is there a good resource that helps in making sure I am not exceeding the battery limits?

Thanks

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
Brillipower are low quality re-wraps with reasonably low amp limits, though at 20 watts you will probably be ok. Invest in a few good 20 amp batteries like the Samsung 25R or 30Q or the LG HG2.

1. The voltage readout on your mod shows what is being sent to the atomizer, not what is being drawn from the battery and as such is essentially worthless information. All the 18650s I have seen have 3.7v on the wrap, not 3.2v. This is an average value during discharge, a fully charged cell is 4.2v falling to 3.2v when it will need recharging.

2. To find the amp draw use I=P/V (-10% for mod inefficiency)
Eg.
20w divided by 4.2v equals 11.9 divided by 0.9 = 5.3 amps
20w divided by 3.2v equals 15.6 divided by 0.9 = 6.9 amps

Note the amp draw is highest when the battery is discharged. Choose a battery that has a reliable known continuous discharge rate (CDR) higher than the second value and you are good to go. Any of the three I mentioned before would be good choices.

3. No

A quality 20 amp battery is good for 60 watts.

Mooch's Recommended Batteries | E-Cigarette Forum
List of Battery Tests | E-Cigarette Forum
Mooch's blog | E-Cigarette Forum
Baditude

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
That's impossible. You can't get more voltage out of a battery than it has.
Well my regulated mod puts out up to 9volts on 1 18650 battery...

The battery never puts out more than 4.2 volts yes... but the circuit board converts or boosts that 4.2 volts or less to up to 9 volts or less. You are correct the batteries output only goes down with use.

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

Reactions: KenD

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
Well my regulated mod puts out up to 9volts on 1 18650 battery...

The battery never puts out more than 4.2 volts yes... but the circuit board converts or boosts that 4.2 volts or less to up to 9 volts or less. You are correct the batteries output only goes down with use.

That's impossible

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
That's impossible

MythBusters_title_screen.jpg

TimeWellWasted

Apr 11, 2017
That's impossible

It can be done.
ELI5 wise, a coil is 'conservative' it hates change. (I'm talking coils in general, not specific to vaping here btw)
When you feed current through it, at first it will resist this current from flowing through.
Conversely when the current starts to drop, it will say hell no and starts 'sucking' ,
Now when you put a capacitor, a thingy that holds a charge and voltage is used to describe a difference in charge, behind the coil. This effect can be used to load up the capacitor to a value bigger then the source, which can be calculated by guys who know.
You have a charge driving a current through the coil into the capacitor, as the capacitor charges up, the charge difference between the source and capacitor lowers, the current wants to drop but the coil wont have it and keeps sucking in more into the capacitor

Maybe I should add: the battery is bigger, you need a lot more charged particles(elektrons) for its effective charge to be the same value as the much smaller capacitor. It holds a lot more so it doesn't run out charging up the smaller vessel even to a higher effective charge. Hope this makes sense

Last edited:

93gc40

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 5, 2014
California
A battery is like a garden hose.. you turn on the water you have flow. At max flow say the faucet your battery.. puts out say 10 gallons a minute.... so that's max flow.. or amps.... now using just the hose the pressure of the water coming out is your voltage....... what happens to that pressure when you add a nozzle to that hose.. the pressure goes up........ in a mech that nozzle is the coil.... in a regulated mod the is a second valve and nozzle between the battery and coil.

Roiikka-Ta

Sep 21, 2015
US
roiikkata.com
Simply put and not sugar coated; yes and no.
The output of the battery is being over-done, but batteries are meant to be used for longer periods of time than just 2 to 10 second intervals. Even high output ones. Just as less of a current. High current, short bursts and it has time to cool off and for the metal inside to react with the battery acids to re-juice it's current and it can go on and do it's thing again after not a very long time. The 35A (amp) ones are high output, so they are capable of outputting those currents even more than a 20 or 15A one (or two or four these days lol). All mine are 35A MXJO Yellow and Silver. OEM.

I mean, there's always more about everything. It can all be strung out and explained into bits and pieces, but, that's the basic of what it is, simply put ..

Plus those "exploding battery" things you see are people that are either being irresponsible or careless with their mods or whatever, pocketed and no safety/fire button lock, metal keys and no battery case, etc. .. or it was just faulty and they didn't spend enough money on it or something .. or build it or make the coil/cartridge right, I would assume. All in all, it'd be more wide-spread if this was not the case ..
And then again there wouldn't be things like Radioshack or Best Buy where people tinker with electronics all day and nothing blows up ..

Basics again. Be careful and you will have years of good use out of vaping like I have so far. And I have been.
But don't forget to have fun with it. A balance is always good.

KenD

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 20, 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
kennetgranholm.com
Simply put and not sugar coated; yes and no.
The output of the battery is being over-done, but batteries are meant to be used for longer periods of time than just 2 to 10 second intervals. Even high output ones. Just as less of a current. High current, short bursts and it has time to cool off and for the metal inside to react with the battery acids to re-juice it's current and it can go on and do it's thing again after not a very long time. The 35A (amp) ones are high output, so they are capable of outputting those currents even more than a 20 or 15A one (or two or four these days lol). All mine are 35A MXJO Yellow and Silver. OEM.

I mean, there's always more about everything. It can all be strung out and explained into bits and pieces, but, that's the basic of what it is, simply put ..

Plus those "exploding battery" things you see are people that are either being irresponsible or careless with their mods or whatever, pocketed and no safety/fire button lock, metal keys and no battery case, etc. .. or it was just faulty and they didn't spend enough money on it or something .. or build it or make the coil/cartridge right, I would assume. All in all, it'd be more wide-spread if this was not the case ..
And then again there wouldn't be things like Radioshack or Best Buy where people tinker with electronics all day and nothing blows up ..

Basics again. Be careful and you will have years of good use out of vaping like I have so far. And I have been.
But don't forget to have fun with it. A balance is always good.

There are no 35 amp 18650s. Your MXJOs are certainly not 35 amp batteries, and they are worse than truly rated 18-20 amp LG hg2, Samsung 30q, Sony vtc6 etc cells.

Sent from my K6000 Pro using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread