1. Win Vaping gear! The ECF 15 Millionth Post contest

We are fast approaching the 15 millionth ECF post and we have a contest to celebrate this huge landmark and amazing prizes to give out to our members! Head over to the official contest thread to see the rules and check out the prizes generously pledged by our registered suppliers on the prize announcement thread.

Scary mod listed on EBay

Discussion in 'Modding Forum' started by GMayberry, Aug 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. GMayberry

GMayberry Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I just came across a posting on EBay and I don't believe we are allowed to link to those, so I will state this here. This what scares me about people making their own mods and not knowing the safety and having any knowledge that is required. Here is what is in his description. If you do a quick search, I am sure you will find it, and the picture makes it even scarier....

Up for grabs is a diy altoids mod that I made myself. None of it is soldered, just electrical taped. It works amazingly well and is very safe to use even though it's not soldered. 510 atty connector allows probably any tank you have to be used. This is not sub ohm safe in anyway, but throw an Aerotank, iClear 10, iClear 30b, any tank and you'll be happy. Please ask any questions you might have and I'll be sure to answer as fast as I can

Edit: I'l probably be including some free liquids, tanks, drip tips, maybe a battery. I'm just gonna pick one or two items at random.

Another edit: if you offer me $40 for it it's yours, I need the money!

All I know to say is WOW.... and I hope he eventually finds his way over to these forums.

2. Big_Jim

Big_Jim Senior Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

I just took a look at some on the bay, and they look down right scary.

3. Dayglow

Dayglow Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

What do you expect? Where there is a population of people ignorant enough to not research best practices, there is a market flush with cash waiting to be taken advantage of. We will see the fallout as batteries pop, devices fail, people get injured, and people get turned off from vaping. Opportunistic parasites...

4. DetraMental

DetraMental Vaping Master ECF Veteran

They need a visit to the "Modder" forum.

5. Zanderist

Zanderist Senior Member ECF Veteran

Doesn't sound totally terrible if the person buying it has intentions of further improving it, course that's not likely.

Maybe it would be best to get in contact with the seller and inform them.

6. DrBeaker

DrBeaker Registered Supplier ECF Veteran

Maybe we should regulate Altoid boxes?

7. mostlyclassics

mostlyclassics Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Hush, DrBeaker! We don't want to give the FDA any more ideas!

8. bm2112

bm2112 Super Member Verified Member

Lol I found the one you were talking about. There are some other altoid box mods that look pretty cool. That one though... I can't believe the seller isn't trolling

9. GMayberry

I just messaged the guy and simply said:

I just want to say that the safety of this mod seriously concerns me. From an experienced modder, please look into safer ideas for your future builds. If you ever have any questions, I will gladly assist you.

I guess I will watch my EBay message box for a reply.... holding my breath startingggggg NOW.

edit: BTW, I am NOT an experienced modder, that is why I am here. Learning before I dive in. I know soldering, I know safety, I know Ohms Law, I know resistance. This guy needs a checklist before he builds again! :D

10. zoiDman

zoiDman My -0^10 = Nothing at All ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    A Used Mod with a No Name Battery & Non Soldered Connections.

So What's the Problem?

:facepalm:

11. Stosh

Stosh Vaping Master ECF Veteran

In my best Clint Eastwood voice...."A man has to know his limitations"

Half the battle is recognizing what you don't know, plenty of experienced builders willing to help.

12. GMayberry

Precisely!! Now to be clear, I feel certain that if I just went ahead and started building one tonight that it would be done properly and chances are it would work well. I am very OCD about things, and want to make sure that when I start, I know EXACTLY what I am going to need, and how I want it to be when completed. I am brainstorming a few ideas and just need to pull the trigger on one soon. It's just that I would rather wait longer and learn more than needed, than to jump in too soon. I wish others had this same mentality sometimes! :D

13. AzPlumber

AzPlumber Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

This may be the same guy that has a youtube vid on how to make a mod with out solder. Unfortunately there are idiots in this world and without a doubt one of them will snatch up this prize.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.