Status
Not open for further replies.

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
In anticipation of getting a TC mod, I've been watching the vids on how they work, but I'm a little confused on this. Why do I need to set the wattage when I set the temp?
Does the wattage amount to average watts like in a normal wattage mode, then TC kicks in and shuts it off? I'm not seeing how that is much different than normal wattage mode?
Sorry, trying to figure this stuff out.

rice721

1.21 GigaWatts!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2016
Shanghai
OK, I thought that was done with the TCR setting? It seems I've much to learn!

As mentioned by agony, adjusting the wattage lets you determine how fast your coils reach the pre-determined temperature.

TCR lets you manually input the resistance values for coils that are not included in the preset of your mods. Most mods now-a-days come with Ni200, Ti, and SS316 presets in there. TCR lets you do temp control with wires that aren't the stated 3.

sawlight

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 2, 2009
Kansas
As mentioned by agony, adjusting the wattage lets you determine how fast your coils reach the pre-determined temperature.

TCR lets you manually input the resistance values for coils that are not included in the preset of your mods. Most mods now-a-days come with Ni200, Ti, and SS316 presets in there. TCR lets you do temp control with wires that aren't the stated 3.

OK, thank you for that. I had it in my head TCR stood for temp control ramp. Meaning it set up the rate it ramps up. I know there is a mod that does this, but I've looked at so many vids of late, I couldn't tell you which one it is! It had low, standard and high. I guess that's where I got that stuck in my head.
I have an Istick Pico on the way, in case anyone wondered my choice of mod.
I also talked to a friend tonight and he related to me that it's more "resistance control" than it's temp control. Meaning it takes the known resistance of the wire, the watts you want to aim for, and adjusts amperage to achieve both pre-sets. Reading more of this, I'm starting to see his point.

rice721

1.21 GigaWatts!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 26, 2016
Shanghai
OK, thank you for that. I had it in my head TCR stood for temp control ramp. Meaning it set up the rate it ramps up. I know there is a mod that does this, but I've looked at so many vids of late, I couldn't tell you which one it is! It had low, standard and high. I guess that's where I got that stuck in my head.
I have an Istick Pico on the way, in case anyone wondered my choice of mod.
I also talked to a friend tonight and he related to me that it's more "resistance control" than it's temp control. Meaning it takes the known resistance of the wire, the watts you want to aim for, and adjusts amperage to achieve both pre-sets. Reading more of this, I'm starting to see his point.

You're friend is correct. Most mods with TC reads the resistance of the coil upon firing to adjust the power into the coil thus regulating the temperature of the coil. Since the resistance if relatively known for ni200, ti and ss316, those are preset into most mods these days.

There are mods out there that regulated the ramp up for TC. Honestly that is too grainular for me. I think you're going to love the pico. Its just a great out and about mod. Was the only mod I took with me to LA, works as stated.

Reactions: sawlight

Woofer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 8, 2014
PA, SK, CA
What is temperature coefficient of resistance? TCR

In any material, the internal resistance will change as the temperature changes. This extends to resistors as well. The rate of resistance change based on temperature is referred to as the Temperature Coefficient of Resistance.

A TC mod knows what room temperature is because they have a temperature sensor on the board. They assume the coil is at the same temperature when it takes the first resistance reading of a newly introduced coil. Knowing the base temp (room temp) and the TCR the mod can calculate what the resistance will be at the temperature limit you have selected. Watts are adjusted downward if necessary to remain at the TL you picked. If the set wattage is not enough to reach or exceed your target temp no action is taken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread