Should "Big Box" Retailers Sell eCig Supplies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leithan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2013
Fort Irwin
That depends where the Vapeshops are making their money, those selling lots of egos and clearo's and a few higher end mods and Mechs will be screwed.
I would disagree, they might get their first set up at Wally World, but they are not going to get advice on why they are getting a burned taste from their protank. They are not going to get a good verity of juices, and most likely won't get much of a selection of gear. Sure Wallmart sold Cigars, I might grab a cheap turd if I was there, but when I wanted quality and verity, I went to the cigar shop, Wallmart might of got a buck off of me but I was putting the cigar shop owners kids threw college. I don't see how it would be any different with vape gear.

tidegirl

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2011
Panama City, FL
Yep. That's the most likely future for big box stores and e-cig sales. In fact, FastTech already has a blister pack setup available (around $13 if I recall). NJoy, Blu, Fin and maybe a few other sealed cartridge types, too. That's about the extent that they'd go, and again that's only if sales really take off soon. The only real "victims" would be the mall kiosk vendors and other B&M's exploiting the noobs.

LOL IBCR you really had me confused for a minute. You posted while I was typing so when I posted it popped to your post. So I was looking at it thinking "That's not the post I quoted... That's not what I typed... Oh, that's not me. Doh! :facepalm:

One of us needs a slightly different avatar. :p

tidegirl

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 21, 2011
Panama City, FL
I would disagree, they might get their first set up at Wally World, but they are not going to get advice on why they are getting a burned taste from their protank. They are not going to get a good verity of juices, and most likely won't get much of a selection of gear. Sure Wallmart sold Cigars, I might grab a cheap turd if I was there, but when I wanted quality and verity, I went to the cigar shop, Wallmart might of got a buck off of me but I was putting the cigar shop owners kids threw college. I don't see how it would be any different with vape gear.

Maybe we can work a deal to get an ecf card in every device sold. :D

Worzel

ECF Veteran
Jan 3, 2013
Lakeland, Florida
if walmart can get me mesh, silica and wire as well as pg and vg that is consistent and cheaper i see no reason to support "overpriced" vape vendors anymore. I dont like being overcharged for other aspects of my life why should vaping be any different?
the mark up on some of this stuff is getting ridiculous. in the beginning we didnt know better and had few choices, but change is a comin - and its a bout time, we need more places with discount pricing like fasttech to finally give us the deals we deserve and if walmart wants to step up to the plate they get my money.

if a place can make a profit off a protank for 13 bucks (they started at 30) what would they cost at someone with buying power like walmart? more products for less money and you would be able to get a few things not think man that 6 dollar igo is 15 so i can only get that today.

Actually, they do sell VG in the pharmacy area in the same area as rubbing alcohol. Good stuff too. Publix sells the same brand in the pharmacy area. I think the big box stores should sell the eGo kits with Ce4's and plain battery starter kits, and if people want more advanced, then they can go online or B&M shops. If you have a 5 year old kid who wants a skateboard, you go to Wally World. If you have a 15 year old kid who has been on a skateboard for 10 years and needs some nice trucks, bearings, or wheels, you are going to pay $$$ at a skate shop or online.

Ref Minor

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 11, 2013
UK

Don't forget the people here are the extreme vape nerds, the vast majority of people use cig-a-likes with pre filled carts, most of the rest use Egos and clearo's, the vast minority use Mods and Mechs.

That's why many people don't see other vapers, it's hard to spot a cig-a-like at 50 paces across a street.

People will get advice from other vapers who would be more numerous as Egos and clearo's would be more popular and buy cheap from Walmart.

shakeytails

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 10, 2013
Kentucky, United States
I think it would be great if people could get a blister pack ego and a bottle of juice for under $20. Even better if I could go there and pick up a clearo for a buck or two when I need one.

Walmart sells smokes, but around here most people buy at the smoke shops anyway. Actually it would be nice if the smoke shops would sell egos at a decent price. I did stop in to the one I used to buy my cigs at last week. I was surprised they had a 650 batt (just the battery) for $9.99. The Vivi nova clone for $10 and CE4 for $5 were a bit steep, but at least they have them. They also had juice- Tasty Vapor- but I chose to pass on that as well. It was $8 for 15ml I think, which is better than the nearest local B&M which sells 10ml of juice for $9.95- and much of it is the same Dekang I can buy from Fasttech for under $4 for 30ml.

Leithan

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 19, 2013
Fort Irwin
Again like most small stores selling a specialty product, their business will come from knowledge and costumer support as well as offering a higher end product that the big box's don't. When I started out, I would of never walked into a B&M for my first purchase, most of the places are kind of intimidating, I know better now, the good ones will go out of their way to set you up with what you need in both knowledge and equipment. If every retailer that sold cigarettes also had a display stand of EGO kits next to it, I think we would all call that a win. In the end I think B&Ms will struggle more from a lack of public awareness then they will from missing out on some EGO sales. One of the best ways to spread the word? Put them on the end stand in a Wallmart check out line. Be honest who hasn't went OMG a George Forman grill, quick put it in the cart...........sitting here wrapped in my snuggie as I type this.

Last edited:

degnr8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 29, 2009
Aberdeen,WA,U.S.A
Several others have said the same thing already, but I agree having the big stores sell vape gear like a basic ego set (or even decent cigalikes) would be a good thing for getting people into vaping. Those who wanted something better would find us or a B&M. Those who were happy with the mal-wart crap would still be off analogues. I see that as a win win

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Heck yes.

Of course the selection will be minimal. And specialty stuff non-existent. And all the juice will be old/stale. But at least it will give people without a B&M near them a place to go to for emergency supplies. And the general public (who...believe it or not does not frequent ECF :ohmy:) will have exposure to e-cigs.

However, I'm afraid that it will be only pre-filled cartos and super-mini only. That's not the best. Still something, but...the pre-filled cartos are just nasty IMHO.

I'd settle for having protected 14500's and IMR 18650's available somewhere common.

Glen Snyder

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
this could very well be solved the way just about every other product does it now a days - " Learn how now!! get our instructional videos at youtube!, save yourself time and money""
Great point and that's how I learned. Issue with that is I'm 57 years old and have learned how to learn. Not to put other age groups in a box, but it's my observation that those a generation or more younger than I haven't grasped that concept. They're used to 'plug and play'...well...everything ;)

technicianx

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2012
Paducah, Kentucky
Wal-Mart would only get a small sector of vapers. They would only carry dekang. They would't be able to keep pace with the innovation happening. So who cares what they carry. They'll never get GG's or Flask tanks. They'll never have Bobas Bounty.. They'll stick to cheap sub par products that will lead new vapers here to get quality.. So I say the more Wal-Mart carries the better. Rest assured it will not be quality product.... They aren't in that business anymore.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Jibbu

ECF Veteran
Feb 24, 2012
Denver, CO, USA
Right now, as in today, I wish my local Wal-Mart would have a few simple things to hold me through to the receipt of an order I'll be placing tomorrow. 510 atty or clearo, eGo-style battery ... just some cheap stuff to hold me over while my current stuff acts whacky.

Holidays are a pain in my neck sometimes. B&M's are closed. But Wal-Mart is open!

murphyramone

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 18, 2013
Rockford, Il
my immediate reaction is....
Grumpy-Cat-NO.jpg
......but it would be nice to have a place for an emergency supply.

jimbol

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2012
Southern Maryland
I don’t think Wal-Mart going to sell anything sophisticated or advanced. That’s not their market. In my local Wal-Mart you have to hunt to find cigarettes or ecigs at all. Playboy is getting ready to introduce a line of gear from sticks to egos. Wal-Mart isn’t going to carry Playboy products but as others introduce similar packages (think Vea from Johnson Creek) they’ll eventually be there. Likely, it will be Njoy or Blu or one of the BT companies that will eventually introduce them. Along with pre-filled cartomizers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread