Should Children be Allowed to Buy e-Liquids that contain Nicotine?

Should there be an Age Limit to Buy e-Liquids that contain Nicotine?

• I believe you should be an Adult (18 Years or Older) to Buy e-Liquids that contain Nicotine.

• I believe Anyone at Any Age should be able to Buy e-Liquids that contain Nicotine.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
It is not ncessary for them to support that -- it is only necessary that they NOT support age restrictions. They don't have to do anything but not vote -- they're real good at that already.

Andria

I just don't Not See this as a Political Reality.

Either from a Personal, Political Party, or Reflective View of their Constituents point of view.

Reactions: DC2

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
angryvaper.crypticsites.com
I just don't Not See this as a Political Reality.

Either from a Personal, Political Party, or Reflective View of their Constituents point of view.

So, by that cynical view, we should just give up? "We can't do anything about it, so why try" seems to be the attitude you're supporting. If one assumes that one is lost and thus doesn't even try... then one is surely lost.

Andria

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
So, by that cynical view, we should just give up? "We can't do anything about it, so why try" seems to be the attitude you're supporting. If one assumes that one is lost and thus doesn't even try... then one is surely lost.

Andria

If you think believing that there Isn't a Single House Member or Senator who will Publically State that they are favor of Selling e-liquids that contain Nicotine to Minors is Cynical, So Be It.

But I think Most would call it Reality.

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
If you think believing that there Isn't a Single House Member or Senator who will Publically State that they are favor of Selling e-liquids that contain Nicotine to Minors is Cynical, So Be It.

I just said, they don't HAVE TO publically state or support it -- all they have to do is NOT VOTE IN FAVOR OF IT.

Andria

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
Reminds me of Steve and The Deciders.

I dunno anything about The Deciders, I ignored him so long ago, I have no idea what nonsense he's spouting nowadays -- this software won't even show me that he's posted anything, unless he happens to be the last poster of a Watched thread -- what bliss! :D

Andria

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
I just said, they don't HAVE TO publically state or support it -- all they have to do is NOT VOTE IN FAVOR OF IT.

Andria

I just Don't think that is Going to Happen.

And even if it Somehow Could, Wouldn't it go Against what about 85% of the Vapers here on the ECF Want? And about what +95% of the General Public Wants.

Why on Earth would a House Member or Senator Do Something like that?

AndriaD

Reviewer / Blogger
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2014
LawrencevilleGA
I just Don't think that is Going to Happen.

And even if it Somehow Could, Wouldn't it go Against what about 85% of the Vapers here on the ECF Want? And about what +95% of the General Public Wants.

Why on Earth would a House Member or Senator Do Something like that?

Hmm, let me think... because they have good sense, and realize that vaping isn't harmful TO ANYONE? Hmm, you're right, none of our congresspeople are that intelligent. But still no reason to simply give up and let them do as they will.

Andria

Reactions: KattMamma

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Hmm, let me think... because they have good sense, and realize that vaping isn't harmful TO ANYONE? Hmm, you're right, none of our congresspeople are that intelligent. But still no reason to simply give up and let them do as they will.

Andria

Give Up?

Seems like that what the Vast Majority of people here on the ECF Want.

LOL

caramel

Vaping Master
Dec 23, 2014
Let me do again a summary.

Camp A. Unlike cigarettes, ecigs have not been proven significantly harmful or addictive. And unlike alcohol, they do not mentally/physically incapacitate the user. Thus they represent a minor danger, and, as such, should be left at parents discretion on how to deal with them. Government mandated restrictions would unnecessarily vilify and raise their cost, leading to less acceptance by people trying to quit smoking.

Camp B. You're trying to sell nicotine to minors, and fortunately the Deciders won't let you do it. Nah nah nah.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
Seems to me, the best way for us all to win, would be for vapor products to not be deemed as Tobacco Products. That way, the automatic age restrictions wouldn't apply, none of the automatic restrictions would apply, and anyone that wants to add restrictions would presumably have to justify them....

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Seems to me, the best way for us all to win, would be for vapor products to not be deemed as Tobacco Products. That way, the automatic age restrictions wouldn't apply, none of the automatic restrictions would apply, and anyone that wants to add restrictions would presumably have to justify them....

That would Definitely Kill all the Birds with One Stone.

KattMamma

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 10, 2015
DFW Area, Texas
OK.

But you do Understand that those Uninformed People who's opinions carry no weight Outnumber us by more that 20 to 1.
And that the People who will Actually Decide what the e-Cigarette Market looks like were Elected by those Same Uniformed People?
Ok so let's just go along with the uninformed public and evil politicians because we're outnumbered. What a defeatist attitude.

Name 3 House or Senators reps who will Stand Up in an Open Session of Congress and say they Support the Sale of e-Liquids which contain Nicotine to Minors.
As Andria said, they don't have to support it. In fact, how about if 3 of them showed they had a brain by standing on the floor and saying, "There's no evidence that it causes ANY harm. How about we postpone any restrictions until we know there's actually a need for them?" Well, ok, that's probably a pipe dream.

Reminds me of Steve and The Deciders.
Sounds like a good band name lol

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
And Just like Myself, you can See both sides of the Arguments that are being made.

IMO, what is always helpful in a (public) debate, is to take up the counter position, not exaggerate points, and make that argument. I challenge you to do this. But first I am going to challenge myself to do the same thing with your position. I will just request that if you do this, like myself, that you don't retort the position in the same post that you are arguing FOR the opposite of what your current stance is. If you can meet my challenge, then I'll truly believe that you see both sides of the arguments being made.

Why Minors Shouldn't Be Allowed to Buy / Use Vape Stuff

The Basics

- many other things currently exist in today's society that do not allow minors to use. Primarily newer things and especially if those newer things contain a drug. In many instances, though not all, a vaping product contains nicotine, and is perhaps reason enough to forbid children from using / buying the product.

- Tobacco control initiatives, particularly the FSPTCA, have been in a battle for over 50 years to undo the image associated with smoking, due partially to the harms that are clearly associated with prolonged use. While vaping is not exactly aligned with combustible cigarette smoking, it is similar enough that it does plausibly align with FSPTCA purpose and goals. A primary goal of that document is to restrict and/or reduce accessibility to the next generation, to dissuade potential users from becoming (normal) abusers, or addicts. Even if vaping nicotine is significantly less addictive than smoking nicotine, it is plausible that it is still an addictive activity. For this reason, dissuading minors from easy access to buying vaping products ought to be promoted or encouraged.

- At the very least, no vaping company or marketer ought to engage in a practice where they are expressively targeting minor persons in an advertising campaign to attract to new customers. There are fairly well known marketing tactics that will squarely target persons under 18 years of age. If it is determined that a vendor was targeting minors, as an intentional act, this ought to be punishable up to the point of forcing the company out of business and set an example for all those who may consider similar campaigns.

Other Considerations

- Adults may engage in an activity that is known to cause harm to their own body, to some degree. This is questionable even from an adult perspective, even among only adults. Some favor personal liberty over personal health consequences, but for sure not all adults agree that liberty outweighs health considerations. Be that as it may, when it comes to minors, there is greater concern for several reasons. IMO, near the top is because a child presumably has potentially 80 years of life ahead of them, and thus intentionally engaging in an activity that may cause harm to their own body, is far more questionable to the adult population. While this is plausibly over emotional or even discrimination, it is how human societies have been set up for a very long time. If a situation arises where children are reportedly using, and several are being harmed, it does have a plausible effect on all adult use, as it would make the adult argument (that harm is occurring to them) even more apparent. Thus, if adults do wish to keep the activity going as an activity that majority of adults can do so in a reasonable and responsible fashion, it would plausibly be of benefit to disallow all use by kids so as to not make it more well known that there are any harms associated with human use.

- Kids are arguably less informed, and most certainly less experienced with social / health issues than adults. A kid who is somehow in trouble with their vaping activity could exploit any notion of public perception around the notion that vaping (even without nicotine) is an inherently dangerous proposition. While adults may also do this, there will for sure be other adults that will say this older person should've known better or should've known to do things differently. Even with the adult situation, it will exploit public perception around alleged dangers of vaping. But with a kid, who may not know better, it will fall more on the side of the activity is the inherent issue and not the user. This would be yet another consideration for why kids shouldn't be allowed to vape.

And that's about the best I can do. I know there is more I could bring up, but it would be hard for me to do so without exaggerating points.

I look forward to your doing the same with what you feel is (semi) legitimate points on the other side of the coin.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
If you think believing that there Isn't a Single House Member or Senator who will Publically State that they are favor of Selling e-Liquids that contain Nicotine to Minors is Cynical, So Be It.

With any civil rights issue, and this is a civil rights issue, this is true at some point. This may not be a great historical civil rights issue (then again it may be), but I would think in 1950's, there would be exactly 0 members of congress that would vote in favor of say same sex marriage, and that all of them would very much prefer to not discuss the matter publicly. Thus, reality is such that no one would touch that with a 10 foot pole, politically.

65 years later, and with great assistance from social media, which arguably sped things up about 80 years, this is now something where it is almost hard to find congress members who won't at least talk about it publicly, and in a certain party, it would be hard to find any that would vote against SSM.

For me, on the kids issue, if a politician can't understand the arguments of why to allow kid use / purchases, they are people I would very likely not vote for, and pretty sure I could make the case that they are not people that can be reasonably trusted. And I would make that case, with ease.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
No Need.

I think some Very Good Points have been Made by the No 18+ Age Limit.

As anyone who has Followed this Thread Knows.

So, I currently do not believe you can see both sides of the issue. I think you can understand it in a superficial way, but cannot bring yourself to actually seeing it as (semi) legitimate rational for vaping as a whole, politically.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
So, I currently do not believe you can see both sides of the issue. I think you can understand it in a superficial way, but cannot bring yourself to actually seeing it as (semi) legitimate rational for vaping as a whole, politically.

You can see it Anyway you like. I know what your Opinion is on this Issue. You have made that Clear. So have I.

And I don't have Time to Play Games arguing a Counter Points to something I Don't Believe in.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
You can see it Anyway you like. I know what your Opinion is on this Issue. You have made that Clear. So have I.

And I don't have Time to Play Games arguing a Counter Points to something I Don't Believe in.

I'm glad you had time to write a post that counters my respectful request to let me know you don't have time to argue counter points in something you cannot see the other side of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread