Should I be annoyed ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkeppel

Oct 20, 2013
New Zealand
Hi,

I'm new to DIY but have been vaping for 3 years and have never encountered such poor labeling regarding nicotine content.

I just got my order of 100 mg Nicotine base and flavours from Nicotine River, The order was dispatched fast, arrived in New Zealand super fast and there prices seem great but the Nicotine base arrived in a 150 ml bottle labeled Vegetable Glycerine and with documentation only regarding the purity of the Vegetable Glycerine used.

So I e-mailed them regarding is this really nicotine base or have you messed up my order and they told me to check under the cap, under the cap someone has written 100VG in black pen and nothing else.

Isn't this a bit casual labeling regarding a poisonous substance ? The nicotine base its self is very clear and I can't smell a thing I'm almost inclined to believe they have indeed mix up my order but it could of course just be nice clean base, I don't have the best nose I thought I could maybe smell something at 1st but after measuring some out into a bottle for mixing I gave it a good sniff and couldn't smell anything.

Reactions: Kenna

Sugar_and_Spice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2010
between here and there
Most of the vendors here in the US are slammed with orders, sometimes we are waiting up to 3 weeks for products to arrive. Thanks FDA......anyway, it certainly isn't a good excuse to mislabel anything but I am thinking they are running out of supplies such as labels, bottles, etc. Why else would they tell you to look under the cap? Or may be just that you are international and .......don't know can't really speak for them, just throwing out ideas. Nic River is a very good vendor. The above post suggest you try using a small amt in some ejuice. Good idea. You should be able to tell from that. Here is a good resource that can help you to test it.
DIY Nicotine Test Kit

IDJoel

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 20, 2015
Boise, ID
That's a bummer! Sorry to hear about your less than ideal experience. :(

I have not personally used Nicotine River so I can't offer a comparative experience.

I would offer a mild caution about too much sniffing to try and detect an odor. I don't know that there is a danger doing it with 100mg/mL dilutions but I do know that there are BIG cautions about having special air handling equipment (hoods, fans, that kind of thing) for those that work with the pure stuff (1,000mg/mL). But if you are not getting anything I would quit just to be on the safe side.

There are other ways to test it yourself. Here are a couple of links:

Wizard Labs sells both a kits as well as the individual ingredients.

Here is an ECF "Sticky" that describes what to gather to created your own test kit and how to use it.

This is a supporting link where the ECF member refers to the above sticky and shares what he got and where.

These were just the ones I new of right off the top of my head. I'm sure there's lots of additional info on the topic. Just do a ECF search for "DIY nicotine testing."

Let us know how it works out. I'm not sure I want to consider them as a possible supplier until I hear how this turns out.

dkeppel

Oct 20, 2013
New Zealand
Considering the existing laws in New Zealand, it's highly possible that the packaging was modified for mailing to your location. If customs had checked the bottle, all they would have seen is a bottle of plain VG. ;)

It's 100% legal to import for personal use but I did consider maybe this could be the reason, doesn't matter now I'm satisfied that it is indeed nicotine base. I was just a bit concerned about the lack of labeling.

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
This is also what I though reading this. Seeing that you are from New Zealand if the supplier is from out of the country then this is a way for the supplier to get around shipping regulations. This is done all the time by venders to get around regulations. So I would not be upset and just treat it as 100mg NIC. I do agree with you it does create some level of uncertainty.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yiana

retired1

Administrator
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 5, 2013
Texas
Most companies aren't going to know the absolute letter of the law for most countries. All they know is that there are restrictions, and rather than tell the potential customer "Sorry, we don't ship there.", they make accommodations.

Considering the laws vary by country, it's easier for the company to just make up a shipment that'll get around the restrictions. Better they do that than just quit shipping to other countries altogether. ;)

Nicotine_River_Chemist

Unresolved Status
May 30, 2016
  • Deleted by retired1
  • Reason: Unregistered Supplier
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread