So mech box mod or 150w+?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wanted to get the public opinion on these. I know a lot of you are avid mech users, but I'm in a bind on my new mod. I want a box mod for the build options as well as the massive increase in battery life that you don't get with a much mod sub-ohming. I'm torn between the 150w mods about to flood the market or a mechanical dual battery box mod. Prices are similar, but I'd like to hear your guys opinion! Specifically I was looking at probably the ipv3 150w or God Mod 180w vs say a dual 26650 box mod. Comparably, the mech box I would assume would have better battery life considering no electronic waste of screens, etc as well as dual 26650 vs dual/tri 18650. I guess the main benefit of the regulated mods would be controlling your power with a range of coil builds vs having to rebuild. Just can't decide if the pros outweigh the cons for which! I'd like your thoughts on it so I don't have to buy all of them! :vapor:

And go.

I'd be careful about which mech box mod you're looking at. A lot of them have extremely unsafe construction and are using switches with insufficient amp ratings. If it's a simple anti-vandal switch it's probably only rated for 2-4A. If there isn't a MOSFET in there, you're going to be pushing a lot more current than the switch is supposed to handle.

You might want to watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?featu...UU8sdPIokj4tMPiSpwR8zX2g&v=GSRsOk4NdZI#t=4967

Last edited:
Here's a 60 amp momentary push button switch: SPST Momentary Pushbutton Starter Switch 11 3428 | eBay

If he's got a basic anti-vandal switch on there, I guarantee it won't be capable of handling anywhere near this. If you research the ratings on the anti vandal switches, they're all rated for around 2 to 4 A. The guy might feed you a line of BS about how he tested it to 0.02 ohms for 100 hours but until he provides you with an actual spec sheet, I would be highly skeptical.

Beware the ratings on switches. For "standard" commercial offerings there are AC and DC amp ratings. The AC ratings are typically MUCH higher (I've seen factors of 10 or more) than the DC ratings, this is because it is easier to break the circuit with AC. At the same currents with DC the switch can (and will!) maintain an arc that destroys the switch, your mod, your batts, and potentially you and your surroundings. There is also a difference between continuous rating and maximum switchable current. This is one of the reasons why you see custom switches on mods made from big slugs of brass or copper with fairly long throws.

There are no such issues with a regulated mod, since the fire switch carries very little current, and the semiconductor switches can handle extremely high currents without the problems that mechanical switches face.

Wattwick, by more flexibl3 I assume you mean not need to go to sub 0.2 ohms to get 100w+? I want them to pack a punch comparable to my mechs. But it seems everyone's kinda advocating the regulated mods for simplicity and safety, which makes total sense. I just wasn't sure if I was missing out with a unregulated box mod. The only thing that's iffy for me is the output voltage of some of these mods high amp mods. The God box mod has an output of up to 12 something bolts I believe, meaning I assume they are wired in series. Would this hinder potential battery life of the 18650? It's all technical speculation I guess till physical copies are seen and tested.

According to the pic on the Brickhouse Boxmodz Facebook, it's "100% Pure Mechanical. No mosfets. No chips." So it looks like the current is running straight from the battery to the switch to the 510. If he had bothered to put a mosfet in there, the current would bypass the switch, meaning the switch's amp rating is not as important. But since he's not using a mosfet, it's a critical issue. If you want to buy it, go ahead, but I personally would not touch that thing with a 10 foot pole, or be in the same room as someone who's vaping on it.

Last edited:

WattWick

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 16, 2013
Cold Norway
Wattwick, by more flexibl3 I assume you mean not need to go to sub 0.2 ohms to get 100w+? I want them to pack a punch comparable to my mechs. But it seems everyone's kinda advocating the regulated mods for simplicity and safety, which makes total sense. I just wasn't sure if I was missing out with a unregulated box mod. The only thing that's iffy for me is the output voltage of some of these mods high amp mods. The God box mod has an output of up to 12 something bolts I believe, meaning I assume they are wired in series. Would this hinder potential battery life of the 18650? It's all technical speculation I guess till physical copies are seen and tested.

That's pretty much it. By more flexible I mean you can run 100+ watts through any coil that can support it without melting. Should allow for a lot more experimentation when you don't have to pick wire gauges, number of wraps, coil diameter etc to achieve a certain power output.

jarreddizzle

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 2, 2013
Oxnard, CA, USA
According to the pic on the Brickhouse Boxmodz Facebook, it's "100% Pure Mechanical. No mosfets. No chips." So it looks like the current is running straight from the battery to the switch to the 510. If he had bothered to put a mosfet in there, the current would bypass the switch, meaning the switch's amp rating is not as important. But since he's not using a mosfet, it's a critical issue. If you want to buy it, go ahead, but I personally would not touch that thing with a 10 foot pole, or be in the same room as someone who's vaping on it.

They're not dangerous, at least to the extent you are making them out to be. I've known the people making these, good people, and I've used their mods. I've had no issues with any of their mods, running from 1.2 ohms down to 0.08 ohms. But thats just my experience with them.

suspectK

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2013
Alabummer
That's pretty much it. By more flexible I mean you can run 100+ watts through any coil that can support it without melting. Should allow for a lot more experimentation when you don't have to pick wire gauges, number of wraps, coil diameter etc to achieve a certain power output.
Edit- not telling you^..responding to op..

Look into the chips for each mod. The smy god is the only mod I know of that has the voltage output to use a wide range of resistances..it says "PMW" on the eBay page spec sheet... I'm sure they meant PWM.. Just curious to how slow it is, but the max voltage of 7 Volts with the IPV3 gives you a little range...I don't know if you want 1/8"+airholes for your attys to support 150 Watts...but I do use my IPV2 at 50 Watts and sigh sometimes.lol.

Haven't bothered looking into the others.. only other I'd consider is sigelei. Don't touch clouper.

Touche, touche. I've been looking into making my own box mods and have done a lot of research on these switches. Ive also think i've set my mind to the ipv3 for constant regulated power. I love my mechs and do not yet own a box mod, but im sure even after the ipv3 i'll be interested in aquiring a few. Im a collector of sorts. :toast:

ddkl7780

ECF Veteran
Feb 8, 2014
Las vegas
I own a brickhouse lot of hate going around about the switch. If this switch is so unsafe you wouldve heard about it by now. Ive met the owner personally and yes anyone can build a box mod for $20-50 bucks. What do you want? Sell it at cost? Sell it for $60? Takes time to make these thats what youre paying for. If you dont want to pay go out buy your supplies and spend 2-3hrs making it. Brickhouse has great customer service and stand behind the product. I live in vegas so I choose to support local small business.

ph0kused

ECF Veteran
Jul 12, 2013
Orange County, CA, USA

They're not dangerous, at least to the extent you are making them out to be. I've known the people making these, good people, and I've used their mods. I've had no issues with any of their mods, running from 1.2 ohms down to 0.08 ohms. But that's just my experience with them.

Dont worry about Stanthemanchan Jarred, the one consistent thing you can count on in the vaping community & ECF, is ex-cigarette smokers (now vapers) who lived most of their lives with reckless disregard for their health. Talk to them today, and it's all about I know this, that product sucks, all i care about is safety first.... taking this kind of stand:

I wouldn't touch that vape with a 10-foot pole!
like-a-sir.jpg

(after taking a pull from his sub-ohm coiled mech mod)

It's great to turn a new leaf in your life and care about safety & health first by vaping and staying analog free - To me the funniest thing is, all of us were cigarette smokers dancing and playing chicken with lung cancer, let's not act like we've been advocating safety our whole lives... now we are, let's try not to be sooo snobby and nauseating.

Let's face it - if you don't have first hand experience with one of these unregulated box mods, you're in no position to talk or make recommendations... You may know all that's in the world about switches and ratings, but you still don't actually own one...can we have some actual unregulated box mod owners chime in here please? I've also been curious about buying a mosfet box, or just going with like a sigelei 100w or an IPV3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread