So what are the stockpiling strategies in light of an uncertain future?

Status
Not open for further replies.

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
Last edited:
Reactions: mattiem

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
I have heard that before myself. I'm not sure if it's true or not but it does seem plausible.

Edit: I found this searching additive and discourage
I read that too but I am thinking that it was just an individual pharmacy that apparently was dead set against vaping so added something floral to their VG. Seems like it was somewhere in the UK.

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
Perhaps i could ask why anyone thinks there will be a need to stockpile anything at all?

If i'm not mistaken, a lot of labs and e-liquid producers have already made a move to larger premises capable of increased production. Nicoticket and Wizard Labs are not small players in the vaping market.

Any company that deliberately added some spoiler to their juice would be out of business within days.

T

mattiem

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Perhaps i could ask why anyone thinks there will be a need to stockpile anything at all?

If i'm not mistaken, a lot of labs and e-liquid producers have already made a move to larger premises capable of increased production. Nicoticket and Wizard Labs are not small players in the vaping market.

Any company that deliberately added some spoiler to their juice would be out of business within days.

T
we were actually talking about the pg and vg that we purchase for our DIY e-liquid. I don't expect it to happen but in this day and age I don't take anything for granted so I hope for the best and try to prepare for the worst. If nothing else, the price will most likely go up. I also believe is saving whenever and wherever I can.

Reactions: Rossum

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
The choke-hold has always been the nicotine liquid. I doubt the FDA will pounce on VG or PG which it already regards as generally safe.

i make my own liquid, buy pg etc by the gallon and don't expect that to change.

My reason for opposing all FDA regulations is because i think everyone that smokes now ought to have the same chances to switch as we did.

i don't have a massive amount of nic-liquid stored because only my wife uses it.

T

B2L

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2012
Jacksonville, FL

T

Hey T, I have, long ago, started stockpiling in the event that the FDA moves to hand over the e-cig industry to BT (which, IMO, seems what they are trying to do).

NT and WL are large companies as far as vaping goes but the regulatory hoops which they may have to jump through I have heard estimated between hundreds of thousands up to millions of dollars per application. In addition, there could be the requirement of submitting separate applications not just for each product but each variation thereof, ie multiple applications for differing nic levels of the same juice or different PG/VG ratios.

Kent has shown great foresight in setting up NT to be prepared but I don't see any vape supplier being willing/able to front the kind of money it will take to comply with the deeming regulations as I understand them.

Worst case scenario, I have enough supplies to vape for years without spending another dime. If the regulations are overturned or amended well below their present draconian levels, I just have that much more available to buy more 'Pinches and CCs :)

As far as who may add bitterants to make dilutents unsuitable for vaping, it wouldn't be a vape supplier. Dow has been very vocal that their products, VG in particular, are not intended to be used for the manufacturing of e-liquid. I wouldn't put it past them to add something to make it unsuitable.

Last edited:

cllmda

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Because my wife would kill me for taking up that much room in the freezer :eek:

(Other than that, I don't see any reason why not)

Hmmm...not enough room in the freezer,yeah ;), a true problem...;)..especially for those of us who dont have whole lot of space (I live in an appt in a major city-center where every square ft is precious...)

Fortunately though,in my case I'm the wife ;) so Im gonna be dragging my husband to the shopping center next Saturday -or the one after that- to buy a new LARGER fridge-FREEZER precisely to stash my NIC ,bases and eliquids !!!

I just put all my vape stuff in the fridge /freezer then took the angle "this fridge/freezer is too small....there's not enough room for our FOOD...we 've gotta get a larger one!"
:) :) :) lol!

I still need more room though as Im not quite finished yet with my "survivalist stock" purchases
Here in Europe,as of May 2016 , eliquid and PG/VG bases containing Nic cant be sold in bottles larger than 10ml .
Imagine THAT.
What can U do with 10ml ???!!!!
And God knows what the new price will be what with all the taxes and so on that will be added.....
Stocking up is definitely an ( urgent) necessity here (IMO).....

Im trying to put a few of my favorite bottled eliquids away too,on top of the Nic,though I realize the jury isnt in yet on exactly how efficient that is
BUT
I have noticed that from two bottles of Quack's Goose juice ( a thick,high-ish VG ,custard type flavor) that I purchased at the same time , about a year and a half ago, one bottle was kept in a shoe box in my bedroom closet and the other bottle was put immediately in the fridge =result=the one in the shoebox is TAR- like black....LOOKS real yucky.... but the taste may be fine(?) and the one in the fridge looks very pale yellow, same as the day I got it, actually looks like it even needs a bit of steeping!
The bottles werent even kept in the " best" conditions, they came in 120ml plastic bottles and I just shoved them on the shelf on the fridge door without any added protection (no wrapping to preserve from light, not even a plastic ziplock baggie etc...)

Based on that,I think storing in the fridge may well help preserve certain pre-made eliquids, at least to an extent...????!!!

ps: im the only vaper in my household, I was the only smoker too, my husband never smoked or vaped...I think that makes things a bit more difficult as opposed to homes where BOTH of you vape...
Though my husband is a very tolerant and understanding person, even used to "let" me smoke inside back in the (30 analogs p/day) day ;) !!!!

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
It's unlikely that PG or VG would be adulterated to change the taste since I believe both are used in food.

Has anyone here had experience wth this nic? 1000 ml of 250 mg Flavorless Nicotine Liquid
I just noticed these guys offer a 1000 ml bottle that's 250mg. It would take more care to handle because of the higher concentration but getting 2 1/2 bottles down to one bottle for long term storage is attractive.

Is there a conclusive argument in favor of PG or VG for long term storage? My hunch is it doesn't matter but may be there is a good chemistry reason for a preference.

In one way this stockpiling topic is not the subect of the threat but, then again, it is.

Boden

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Sep 7, 2012
Lexington KY
Do you have a link for this research? All of my nic is VG. Some of it is from 2009 and at different mg"s. I would be interested in reading the research done on this. I have a PG tolerance so PG is a no go for me.

My nic from 2009 tests 3 - 5 mg less than when it was placed in the freezer. Has not taken on any discoloration nor smells or tastes. If it does not hold up for the long run, I may need to rethink my options here.

It is now 6 years old so no problems yet but if you have research showing pg is better at 50 mg or less I need to read up on this so I can make other plans.

Thank you

If you are sensitive to PG and must use VG as a storage medium the main thing is to keep it in amber glass containers with as little excess oxygen in the bottle and as cold as possible to slow down reactions and oxidation.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
I've said this before so please humor me. :)

You don't want to be a lab rat like some of us who enjoy DIY. I get it. I respect it. How about grabbing some "currency" that is likely to be very valuable as time marches on. Think barter/trade. How hard is it to open a package, label it and then place it in your freezer clearly marked and out of the way of the kids and the animals. You never open the included bottles.

PLEASE DO IT!
+100. It's called peace of mind. I started doing that within a few weeks of successfully putting down the cigarettes almost two years ago. If you don't wanna mix yourself, someone else will be happy to do it for you in exchange for a portion of your nic.

TravelinGirl

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2009
The South
If you are sensitive to PG and must use VG as a storage medium the main thing is to keep it in amber glass containers with as little excess oxygen in the bottle and as cold as possible to slow down reactions and oxidation.

Yup, that is what I posted in here when asked how I have been storing nic since 2009 with no degrading of the nic. Glass Amber wide mouth packer bottles with minimal head space, caps taped up with electrical tape in not 1 but 4 foods aver bags in the freezer :) Works like a charm

TravelinGirl

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2009
The South
What was the mg when you bought it?
I'm guessing 100mg but just want to make sure.

Yup DC2 it was 100 mg. I have some, i think 60 mg, in there as well that is RTS, did not like it from the get go so I jsut put it in the back and labeled it emergency nic.

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Has anyone here had experience wth this nic? [...] I just noticed these guys offer a 1000 ml bottle that's 250mg. It would take more care to handle because of the higher concentration but getting 2 1/2 bottles down to one bottle for long term storage is attractive.
It's interesting how different people have varying perceptions of what constitutes risk. E.g. I have no qualms using mechanical mods (although none of them resemble pipe bombs and I'm quite confident that a battery failure would vent controllably rather than "explode" the mod), but I'd much prefer to stick with 100mg nic, than anything stronger.

Is there a conclusive argument in favor of PG or VG for long term storage? My hunch is it doesn't matter but may be there is a good chemistry reason for a preference.
I've heard people make claims both ways. I started out buying nic for long-term storage in PG because that seemed to be the consensus at the time (roughly 2 years ago) and because it's easier to work with. But then this summer I started second guessing my choice of vendor, so I bought four different nics for and organized a blind comparison test. All four nics were in PG. All four of them had a reputation for being very, very clean. Only one was colorless when I received it. All four darkened much more quickly than I would have expected once the bottle was opened. Some of the people involved in the blind test normally buy their nic in VG and observed that the samples continued to darken much more quickly than they were used to. So I think there's something to be said for the theory that VG's higher viscosity slows down oxidation. My orders since then have been in VG. I figure I'll use the PG nic first. I'm not particularly worried about it; it's all in glass bottles, headspace filled with argon, and closed with polycone caps. I expect that it will be fine as long as it's kept in sealed and in the freezer.

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Reminder Please...

Forum Rules

35. Nicotine strength

d. There is a limit on public discussion of 200mg (20%) maximum for mixing discussion, recipes and tutorials, and also in the Classifieds. Members may not discuss the use of refills (any liquids) stronger than 200mg.

footnotes re #35

There is a very real danger of hospitalization or worse with this material and ECF cannot support any publicity of its use or sources. There is no need to use it since far safer strengths are available for bulk mixing, such as 48mg (4.8% nicotine in PG or VG), 60mg (6%), and 100mg (10%). To protect our members and ourselves we do not allow discussion of or sources for anything over 200mg (20% nic) [4].

Reactions: Boden

sofarsogood

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Oct 12, 2014
I'm not particularly worried about it; it's all in glass bottles, headspace filled with argon, and closed with polycone caps. I expect that it will be fine as long as it's kept in sealed and in the freezer.
Where did you get your argon gas? Any chance it is available in a consumer style aerosol can like CO2?

I appreciate that higher than 100mg would come with more risk. I'd get educated about that before deciding if I am qualified to own it. An option I'm considering for storage is a 1.1 cu ft. medical freezer. They can be had from amazon for about $220, and can go down to -4 F and have a keyed lock. It could sit in the garage. I haven't checked energy efficiency but a few 5 cu ft consumer models claim $30 a year. If I went that route there would be room for more 100mg bottles.

Last edited:

Rossum

Eleutheromaniac
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 14, 2013
SE PA
Where did you get your argon gas? Any chance it is available in a consumer style aerosol can like CO2?
I did not get argon gas. I bought the nic that way. Nude Armor. This is what @SeniorBoy was talking about when he said you never have to open the bottles -- just put 'em in the freezer. I get it in 125ml bottles, each of which should hold me for about 4 months. Yes, it's more expensive than buying nic in one-liter plastic bottles and re-bottling it yourself, but based on the results of the blind test we did this summer, having it under argon from the time it's initially bottled alone is worth it, and not having to fuss with it when I receive it represents additional value to me.

An option I'm considering for storage is a 1.1 cu ft. medical freezer. They can be had from amazon for about $220, and can go down to -4 F and have a keyed lock. It could sit in the garage. I haven't checked energy efficiency but a few 5 cu ft consumer models claim $30 a year. If I went that route there would be room for 100mg bottles instead of 250's.
Silly me. Amazon was one place I hadn't looked. It looks like they have some 2.1 cu foot models that would fit handily under a desk. :)

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
I took advantage of MyFreedomSmoke's last sale to lay down about a 50 year supply of nic in the freezer. Beyond that, I recommend you buy some mech mods-- clones are not expensive and work just fine-- and learn how to coil tanks and drippers. You will always be able to buy PG, VG and flavor molecules, they have other uses. Ditto Kanthal wire and batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread