Standard response to anti-vaping articles? Draft, need feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
These may be helpful? Excellent articles on this subject written by our very own Rolygate, complete with references. :)

The Great Nicotine Myth

Nicotine Clinical Trials: Why Aren't There Any?

Is Nicotine Addictive ?

I agree, these are all excellent articles on the subject that help dispel well ingrained myths about nicotine.

I particularly like the first linked item from that list.

And given what Roger is getting at, I think it'd be helpful to have an abbreviated version (or perhaps several abbreviated versions) that allow us to make the point(s) concisely. Like trying to cram the bullet point items onto the back of a business card sized document as if that was going to be handed out. Not cram it in via small print, but by sticking to 2 to 3 sound bite items that are shared, and having say 20 different cards (or versions) that are cracking the myth.

The popular myth isn't "nicotine is addictive and let me explain just how it is in 1000 words," but instead relies on it being short and emphasizing addictive as a very bad thing (won't anyone think of the children?).

So, one of many ways to answer that assertion, and dispel the myth, ought to be kept short and dispel it with points that layperson can relate to. I don't think most people give a hoot about LD50, while they likely would be 'awakened' by realizing that
  • Nicotine is a normal ingredient in the diet
  • Everyone consumes it
  • Everyone tests positive for it

That would make for good business card sized version of cracking the myth. And would be just one version of data that we could run with.

For those people who say or imply that sound bite answers don't work for them, we could then just say, see that link at the bottom of the card? You do? Good, go to that link and take about 5 minutes to read the full explanations that support what this card is stating and a whole lot more.

Also, cards are just an option. I realize CASAA already does cards, so adding these to the mix ought to be a non-issue. But real point here is when CASAA membership is online doing outreach to refute claims, it could be part of our overall strategy to keep making some of these points over and over and over and over, such that the narrative on nicotine isn't only "it is highly addictive" but also that "everyone tests positive for it" or "everyone consumes it." Get that in the lexicon and let's see how the myth performs in lieu of that information.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
I) Set the stage: vaping is NOT smoking.

a) Short form.

I used to smoke. Now I use a _"vaporizer."_ You might call it an "e-cigarette," but it isn't smoking, because there's no fire. No fire means no smoke.

a1) Short form - if you have the space, add this:

Ever played _"air guitar?"_ It's not a real guitar.

I really like both these versions. Short and to the point.

As I still smoke (had one last night, enjoyed it), I'd change wording on (a). I know you had that earlier and is a non issue from your end. I'd just say, "I used to smoke 1+ packs a day, now I smoke less than a pack a month. How is that possible? I use a vaporizer...."

Air guitar one is easy to poke holes in, but I say so what? We're answering sound bite logic with sound bite responses. Rolygate's articles are poking holes galore in the assertion (myth) that amounts to "nicotine is highly addictive." We need the long version in our rebuttals, but also the short version.

I also like a version that came to me recently about fire extinguishers. I mean, it looks like smoke coming out of the extinguisher, so it must be very bad to think you can put out a fire with smoke. Why don't we ban the use of those (in public places)? Oh, because it isn't smoke and would be silly to consider it as useless / bad simply because it looks like smoke.

Not sure if that wording would work for everyone, but I think you get my point.

I'm glad to go thru your entire list Roger and post my thoughts with regards to what you wrote, but not sure if this is the thread. For me, that's either one super duper long post, or more likely, another 15 posts from me like this one. As you are OP, I'll respect your decision on this, and/or am glad to do it in PM if any fellow CASAA member or board moderator would prefer I not do that sort of thing in this thread, for some good reason.

But probably won't do it today as I'm looking to watch top notch defense (Seahawks) dominate top notch offense (Broncos) in the Superbowl.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread