Status
Not open for further replies.

cobalt327

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2012
USA
Had a problem with the wire spontaneously unspooling so I found candy containers that fit the spools. I run the wire out the lid, this lets me pull out what I need. Closing the lid on the end of the wire keeps it in place.

kanthal containers.jpg

cobalt327

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 1, 2012
USA
That's a cool idea. The spools that I get from TEMCO have a small hole on the side of the spool that I use to catch the wire to keep it from becoming unraveled.
Yeah, these spools have notches that help to keep the wire in place. But when I'm making coils, invariably I'l get careless for a second and *sproing* there it goes!
icon_smile_facepalm.gif

pocariboy73

Nov 6, 2014
Had a problem with the wire spontaneously unspooling so I found candy containers that fit the spools. I run the wire out the lid, this lets me pull out what I need. Closing the lid on the end of the wire keeps it in place.

View attachment 387501

That's a great tip. Even using the spools with the cut-out edge caused my wire to go all over the place. Tried tape, but that didn't work well.

Your little tip works great.
Thanks for that...

Last edited:

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 2, 2013
BC Canada
I bought several spools of Temco kanthal a few weeks back 24, 26, 28 and a 30 gauge. They sure want to blow apart after you open them up to use and I didn't have faith in the trying to put a stopper in the center of the spool not going to burst after I set the spool down. I tied to use the hole they supply on the spool but it wasted several inches of wire every time you used the spool along with getting the 24 to behave is near impossible.
I made myself some super easy bobbin holders with a coat hanger, heat shrink, bunch of wooden mushroom caps and to my surprise some generic qtips that have the center hollowed out once you cut the swabs off. I just used what I had around the house but using beads instead of the mushroom caps will work.
I won't explain the basic jist to build one since you can search "DIY bobbin holder" on Youtube and get the basics to build your own. It took me about a hour to make 4 of these quaint little beasts and they work like a hot damn. The holder on the far right is one that I bought at a fishing store for 10 bucks, the others cost me inside of 2bits for all 4 of them. I forgot if they say in the videos but I used 6 inch piece of coat hanger bent in half. I also inserted a allen key into the hollowed Qtip shaft while I was heating the heat shrink or you will melt the tube closed with the heat in the torch.
I did build a holder for my spools out of Lego. Here's a few pics of my endeavors.

I still have 1 flat square piece to find in my tub of legos.

HolderampSpools.jpg
HolderampSpools2.jpg

HolderampThreader.jpg

I did build this single spool caddy a while back to accommodate my 30 gauge since it is my most used gauge.

LegoWireCaddy.jpg

I love my lego and being 52 this year I can still sit down and build just like I was a kid...Never too old to be a Lego Maniac. :)

sparkky1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2014
Nashville
I bought several spools of Temco kanthal a few weeks back 24, 26, 28 and a 30 gauge. They sure want to blow apart after you open them up to use and I didn't have faith in the trying to put a stopper in the center of the spool not going to burst after I set the spool down. I tied to use the hole they supply on the spool but it wasted several inches of wire every time you used the spool along with getting the 24 to behave is near impossible.
I made myself some super easy bobbin holders with a coat hanger, heat shrink, bunch of wooden mushroom caps and to my surprise some generic qtips that have the center hollowed out once you cut the swabs off. I just used what I had around the house but using beads instead of the mushroom caps will work.
I won't explain the basic jist to build one since you can search "DIY bobbin holder" on Youtube and get the basics to build your own. It took me about a hour to make 4 of these quaint little beasts and they work like a hot damn. The holder on the far right is one that I bought at a fishing store for 10 bucks, the others cost me inside of 2bits for all 4 of them. I forgot if they say in the videos but I used 6 inch piece of coat hanger bent in half. I also inserted a allen key into the hollowed Qtip shaft while I was heating the heat shrink or you will melt the tube closed with the heat in the torch.
I did build a holder for my spools out of Lego. Here's a few pics of my endeavors.

I still have 1 flat square piece to find in my tub of legos.

HolderampSpools.jpg
HolderampSpools2.jpg

HolderampThreader.jpg

I did build this single spool caddy a while back to accommodate my 30 gauge since it is my most used gauge.

LegoWireCaddy.jpg

I love my lego and being 52 this year I can still sit down and build just like I was a kid...Never too old to be a Lego Maniac. :)

Now that's a nice rack ....:thumb:

Reactions: Tylerwebre
Great idea!! I had one completely unspool, so my wife took a piece of 1/2" elastic, cut to size and sewed the ends together. Fits like a glove and no more unspooling.

I used a old Fluffy Hair tie from my late wife's stuff..... Thought about making some from Elastic like your wife did... When you fold & sew the ends together, fold some extra to make a Tab you can grab onto....... ;-)

Reactions: SLIPPY_EEL

SlickWilly

Tinkerer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2013
NY
I just use 3/8 wide rubber bands, put it on the wire close to one side of the spool, stretch to make another wrap, twist the rubber band 180 deg to make an X and pull it over the wire again close to the other side. Leave a short end of the wire hanging out to grab and just pull, the wire will come right out from under the band. :)

Reactions: SLIPPY_EEL

SlickWilly

Tinkerer
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 18, 2013
NY
Hey colbalt, I'm not very good at describing things. This is what I was trying to get across, this shows the view from both sides of a spool. Put the rubber band on so it's wrapped twice around the spool, twisting the band once to create the X. I tried just one wrap angled trying to cover both sides of the spool, without the X, the wire can still unwind and create a birds nest, I found out the hard way. Better? :)

DSC01668_zpsye4zqec3.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread